Toyota Corolla and Corolla Verso - Gearbox problems on Toyota Corolla MMT - albert_99

Hi,

Have a problem with the MMT Gearbox on my 05 Corolla since I bought it (2009), but it started happening very often recently and it's EXTREMELY annoying... When I bought the car it had 20k miles and it happened within 3 months of purchasing...

It's a 05 Toyota Corolla 1.4 D4D with MMT gearbox (semi-auto) - manufacured in UK.

Problem is that every now and again (in the last couple of weeks it happens nearly everyday), when I slow down and the gear box goes into 1st gear (for example, at trafic lights) it goes into Neutral and the fault lamp for gearbox lights on the dashboard. It happen when in both Semi-auto mode and Manual mode...

There's no way you can get it back in gear unless you switch off the engine, wait for 30 to 60 seconds and switch on again.

I've read several forum threads on this issue (some old ones), but couldn't find an exact answer for what is causing the gearbox to fail and what would be the proper fix.

Have anyone else came across this issue and happen to know more?

Cheers!

Albert

Top Reply

Toyota MMT flashing 'N' solved. - RG26

If anyone still has problems with MMT gearbox my 9 year old Yaris is working after I loosened the three 12mm bolts in slotted holes on the top of the clutch actuator, pushed the actuator to rotate it anticlockwise and retightened the bolts WHILE pushing. That fixed the problem. I tried this after reading that the clutch required preload, the opposite of what I learnt over 70 years ago helping my father work on his Riley Monaco. I don't know what the book figure is for preload or how it is measured

Earlier I was quoted £2100 for a new actuator and ECC but declined their kind offer, settling for aa new actuator at £610. I asked them to let me have the old actuator. The grease on the worm gear had dried out and was very stiff. I extended the nozzle of a can of Plusgas by about 18" and inserted it past the rubber gater round the push rod. Several good squirts resulted in quicker and smoother gear changes. My car now runs better than when it was new.

All Replies

Toyota Corolla and Corolla Verso - Gearbox problems on Toyota Corolla MMT - madf

The MMT is pants. The only people who can deal with it are Toyota trained technicians..

Be prepared for a long and lengthy bill unless yiou start by saying it should not break under such low miles etc.

Well known problems affecting many MMTs (not all).

My advice is not to buy one.- not much use to you.

Edited by madf on 13/08/2012 at 09:15

Toyota Corolla and Corolla Verso - Gearbox problems on Toyota Corolla MMT - gordonbennet

''My advice is not to buy one.-''

Couldn't agree more, nor any other automated manual gearbox.

If Toyota can't get something like this right for long term use then little hope anyone else can.

Toyota MMT flashing 'N' solved. - RG26

If anyone still has problems with MMT gearbox my 9 year old Yaris is working after I loosened the three 12mm bolts in slotted holes on the top of the clutch actuator, pushed the actuator to rotate it anticlockwise and retightened the bolts WHILE pushing. That fixed the problem. I tried this after reading that the clutch required preload, the opposite of what I learnt over 70 years ago helping my father work on his Riley Monaco. I don't know what the book figure is for preload or how it is measured

Earlier I was quoted £2100 for a new actuator and ECC but declined their kind offer, settling for aa new actuator at £610. I asked them to let me have the old actuator. The grease on the worm gear had dried out and was very stiff. I extended the nozzle of a can of Plusgas by about 18" and inserted it past the rubber gater round the push rod. Several good squirts resulted in quicker and smoother gear changes. My car now runs better than when it was new.

Toyota MMT flashing 'N' solved. - coopshere

The grease on the worm gear had dried out and was very stiff. I extended the nozzle of a can of Plusgas by about 18" and inserted it past the rubber gater round the push rod. Several good squirts resulted in quicker and smoother gear changes. My car now runs better than when it was new.

Now that's what I call a result. Almost makes me wish I was still in the trade!
Toyota MMT flashing 'N' solved. - Dunsten

Hi,

Would you be able to send me a picture of the area where the silicon grease needs applying?

I have the problem with MMT actuator in my toyota auris AUTOmatic 2009. It jumps to N from E occasionally. I still be able to drive the car.

Please send me a pic or location of the area that needs spraying.

Dunsten

Toyota MMT flashing 'N' solved. - bathtub tom

You're asking for a reply from someone who posted over ten years ago!

Toyota MMT flashing 'N' solved. - rrusta

Hi RG26,

Would it be possible to e-mail me your address at: ramadanibesnik@gmail.com apparently I need to do something same with my 2005 Toyota corolla 1.4d4d MMT and need some help possibly with any photo.

Thanks upfront.

Toyota MMT flashing 'N' solved. - mkl
Hi we have the same prob with a corolla verso 2006 - had since 2008 but in past 2 months has slipped in to neutral while driving - towed to garage each time - they say fault logs vanish as soon as you switch off engine and have no ideas apart from replacing actuators control unit etc..

1st time they programmed it and I drove for 2 weeks - then it went into neutral again , restarted after a few mins sitting on side of a dangerous road and got about 150m before slipped into neutral again..
Garage are now suggesting its the "way I drive it " --- but couldn't explain why my driving would make it fail now after more than 4 years driving the thing ..

My dad is a retired mechanic but if you had any photos or more details of your fix would be willing to give it a go ... Better than spending 3k on a car worth only 8 or 9k

Hints / tips would be really appreciated.
Toyota MMT flashing 'N' solved. - BJD

Hi

I just bought the 2005 model some four weeks ago and was terrified when my gear slipped from the drive to Neutral while i was on the M25 doing, Just like you i quickly coasted it to the hard shoulder for safety. I have read all the treads and i am desperate for a solution. Please were you able to resolve the issue and how? Unfortunately i bought this privately. so i cant run to any dealer.

Please help me out. Regards BDJ
Toyota MMT flashing 'N' solved. - Ahmad Esmati

I have done almost each and every of the solutions in this forum as well as many other technicques but the problem still existed.

After so many tries....this is what I come to conclusion:

The problem is not with the gearbox CVT. In fact the problem is with the TURBO not getting engaged frequrently. Until last week, I was very carefully with the acceleration, i.e, I was driving in low RPM and without the TURBO getting engaged, the gears used to shift and the N issue used to come often.

It has been one week that I am driving with a different style i.e., drive with higher RPM accelate higher and dont let the gearbox to change the gears at lower RPMs. The gears should shift when the TURBO has been engaged, this has worked so far for me...try it and please tell me the result.

Ahmad Esmati

Kabul Afghanistan

Toyota MMT flashing 'N' solved. - st-t3

Hi RG26, i just purchased a verso T3 MMT and it suffered from this failure today, i came across your post and wondered have you had any re-occurance/further issues around the MMT problem since you did this 'fix'?

i would love if you could share this info / detail / hints with me as - it seems like many owners are having little or limited success with the toyota approach.

my email address is steve_all@ymail.com

many thanks ST-T3

Edited by st-t3 on 15/03/2013 at 01:14

Toyota MMT - jumping into neutral - LorrinB

Hi All,

just to add to the list, we've bought a 2nd hand Toyota Corolla Verso last month, and 9 days after buying had EXACTLY the same problem - switching into neutral for no good reason, lose all ability to do anything, turning the car off & on fixes it for about 5 minutes.

Taken it to Toyota garage, they're saying needs new clutch, new actuator, and new release bearings (repairs totalling around £1,200). Also gave me the line about 'the way I'm driving it'... 'need to take your foot off the accelerator while it changes gears"... er, is it automatic or not? and am I meant to be looking down / using the force to sense when it changes gear? Also happens when in manual mode, so can't really believe it's not a design fault.

Anyone got ANY ideas? it's not the cost that's worrying (have got dealer to agree to pay for it), but obviously not wanting to drive this car as no way of knowing if it'll happen again. Got 2 small children, just can't take the risk...

any further news? any advice appreciated.

Lorrin

Edited by LorrinB on 20/03/2013 at 11:17

Toyota MMT - jumping into neutral - khush

Hi Lorrin,

I'm having exactly the same issue. Infact Toyota replaced the actuator on my car about 3 years ago, it's very expensive. I now have the same issue again. Can I ask how you got them to pay for it?

There are clearly many people with this same problem, Toyota should be paying for this...

Thanks, Khush

Toyota MMT - jumping into neutral - Raj99
Hi, I had the same problem a few years back and suspected the clutch. After the some research I found out that there was a recall on these cars which was expiring April 2012. Luckily I had one month left before expiry so got in contact with my Toyota dealer. They replaced the clutch and actuator at the expense of Toyota, think it was 2 thousand pounds worth of work. The car was fine until recently when the problem started happening again. I contacted the dealer again and they checked it out. The outcome was that the clutch and actuator needed replacement. I told them they had replaced it under two years ago but they said its out of warranty as it's only one year. They wanted to charge 2 thousand pounds, I said no thanks. I contacted Toyota customer service and explained the situation, but they didn't want to know even though I told them you wouldn't expect after having done 2 thousand pounds worth of work, for it to need another repair for another 2 thousand pounds within two years. This is obviously a known issue and a dangerous issue which Toyota now don't want to know about. The problem happened today 4 times so I am desperate to find a resolution. Has anyone managed to resolve, if so how?
Toyota MMT flashing 'N' solved. - Mousa
Dear RG26,

I have similar problems with mu 05 corolla mmt, goes into N now quite frequently without any explanation. I tried the dealers but they told me pretty much what others have posted: need for new clutch actuator, my driving styles, etc.

It seems what you did is a better, cheaper way of solving the problem and I'm requesting you to kindly send me your address so I can get in touch for your help.

My email is katosw6@gmail.com.

Kind regards.

Mousa
Toyota MMT flashing 'N' solved. - drgn

Hi RG26,

same problem as with others who posted here. My 06 corolla verso is slipping back to N whenever i do frequent stop in a slow moving traffic. Although i can get it work again by switching the engine off and on again, it's very dangerous if you are in the middle of the road. It will be a big help & relief if you could give us more details on how you did it in your gearbox. I'll appreciate if you can email it to me at monyambao@hotmail.com. Thanks.

Toyota MMT flashing 'N' solved. - Nitin

Hi RG26,

I see that you are bombarded with messages from this forum and I need your help as well. You may find me as the most unfortunate or rather a victim of a crook and this problem. I bought this 2004 Toyota Corolla Verso, Semi Automatic. JUST YESTERDAY. The person who sold it to me obviously kept mum of this issue which was already in the car. I did take approx 20+ mins test drive and all seemed fine so I bought the car :( on the way back (after another 25+ mins drive) in the heavy traffic of London the car was just crawling at the speed of maybe 5miles/hr. and just outside the Victoria Station, in the red zone the gears slipped into Neutral. Using my common sence I did manage to get this to work by restarting the car. This continued for about 4 - 5 times every 5mins and then finally restarting the car did not resolve the problem anymore.

You can imagine, having spend £4000 cash i am litrally cursing that bad soul how sold it to me but its my problem now. I do have an same easy option to fool someone else and sell it but I DO NOT WANT to do this. I just want to resolve this within a resonable expense and save myself from a loss of £4000.

Can you or any member here please enlighten me with a permanent solution they may have found for this problem. I DESPIRATELY NEED HELP.

Toyota MMT flashing 'N' solved. - runews
Hi Nitin

Did you solve the problem?

I have the same problem with my corolla verso with MMT gear.
HI

I just bought the 2005 model some four weeks ago and was terrified when my gear slipped from the drive to Neutral while i was on the M25 doing, Just like you i quickly coasted it to the hard shoulder for safety. I have read all the treads and i am desperate for a solution. Please were you able to resolve the issue and how? Unfortunately i bought this privately. so i cant run to any dealer.

Please help me out.

Regards
Toyota MMT flashing 'N' solved. - Dragon Dude

good day

i would like to know is the a permanant way to resove this problem as my toyota verso 2005 mmt has been done before and problem is back as i was told how to drive the car and followed toyotas instructions .it done it fist in semi auto know in manual mode .

Toyota MMT flashing 'N' solved. - zain

hi rg26

i have just bought toyota verso 05 wih mmt gearbox couple of months ago with flashing "N" AFTER drving local. went to toyota dealer in birmingham asking 2k to fix the problem and i would highly appreciate if you can advice me or help me solve this problem as I can not afford to spend this money. thanking you for your update.

Toyota MMT flashing 'N' solved. - Raj99
Hi, I had the same problem a few years back and suspected the clutch. After the some research I found out that there was a recall on these cars which was expiring April 2012. Luckily I had one month left before expiry so got in contact with my Toyota dealer. They replaced the clutch and actuator at the expense of Toyota, think it was 2 thousand pounds worth of work. The car was fine until recently when the problem started happening again. I contacted the dealer again and they checked it out. The outcome was that the clutch and actuator needed replacement. I told them they had replaced it under two years ago but they said its out of warranty as it's only one year. They wanted to charge 2 thousand pounds, I said no thanks. I contacted Toyota customer service and explained the situation, but they didn't want to know even though I told them you wouldn't expect after having done 2 thousand pounds worth of work, for it to need another repair for another 2 thousand pounds within two years. This is obviously a known issue and a dangerous issue which Toyota now don't want to know about. The problem happened today 4 times so I am desperate to find a resolution. Has anyone managed to resolve, if so how?
Toyota MMT flashing 'N' solved. - Torito

Hi everybody,

Same problem with Corolla Verso essence MMT 2006 , error code P0810 with 130,000 km.

Toyota garage price for new clutch and new actuatoris about £ 2,125 here in France.

Only the clutch was changed by a non Toyotas Garage but it seems that the car has to go anyway through Toyota to be reprogrammed.

Toyota are saying that they will not do this re-programming unless the actuator is changed.

Is it possible to force them to try to re-program the car to check if it really needs one actuator?

How many hours of work are needed to change the actuator since the clutch is already new?

Thanks in advance fro any help.

Bea

Toyota MMT flashing 'N' solved. - Simon1982

Please could you contact DVSA regarding this issue. Even if you no longer have the car. I have posted on other forums about this same issue as pasted below:

Dear All,

I have just joined this forum to gather information that I am presenting to the DVSA regarding the MMT Gearbox fault.

I am the owner of a Toyota Verso Corolla 54 reg. Back in May this year I was driving my car home when I was turning into a new road my car had popped into and remained stuck in neutral, with the car being positioned halfway into the road. I tried and tried again to get the car going, including restarting the engine several times until after a few minutes the car managed to get in gear. Within a minute or two at the next junction the same thing happened again and AGAIN whilst I was moving along the road. Luckily for me it was just before the school run so the roads were not so busy.

Anyway, this issue has been documented in other posts on the forum so I am definitely not the only person to experience this. I also believe it affects several vehicles, not just the Corolla Verso.

The next day I took the car to a Toyota garage to see if they could diagnose and resolve the issue. They charged me £95 for diagnostics and came back with the following fault:

"CO full diag and found P0810 recorded in system. Followed diag process and concluded reqs mechanical repair. New clutch, actuator and ECU. 7.2hours"

I will try and be brief with what followed on from here so I can get onto the main purpose of my post:

I looked up this issue on the forum and found that there was a Customer Satisfaction Survrey for this very fault as well as subsequent technical bulletins. It seems like there CSC was a soft recall that I believe should have been a hard recall on the fault. What happened to me was dangerous and there have been cases I have read on the forums/internet of this even happening whilst driving on the motorway.

I contacted Toyota Customer Relations to ascertain whether the CSC was carried out on the vehicle as well as the technical bulletin. Indeed the CSC was carried out on my vehicle to resolve this very issue yet a mere 30,000 miles later the fault appears, perhaps for the first time on this vehicle.

Toyota refused to rectify the situation free of charge...no surprises. Basically they said the Customer Service Campaign was done way back in 2009 and they would only provide a warrenty on the work till 2012.

I then decided to pursue this further by reporting what I consider to be a dangerous fault to DVSA who have so far been most sympathetic. In normal circumstances vehicle age would be an issue but thier concern is that this particular fault has nothing to do with the age of the vehicle, especially as the parts involved were replaced back in 2009. Toyota responded to the DVSAs enquiries by stating that I "may" have had warnings that this issue would occur and that I would have had time to take it the garage to resolve and as such cannot be classed as a sudden dangerous issue. There was no warning lights and I am not sure how you could be warned that your gearbox will pop in and get stuck in neutral all of a sudden.

Unsatisfied with Toyota's response, the DVSA have sent in followup questions which has now lead to Toyota making contact with me to get my vehicle in for inspection. This has yet to be arranged. I rang the DVSA and they confirmed that I should agree to this being done.

Now to the purpose of my post. This MMT issue has been going on for many years now and there are significant number of people affected by it, many of whom will have since had their car either repaired, sold on or scrapped, etc. If anybody has experienced this issue could I encourage you to contact DVSA as it seems like they are finally taking this issue very seriously. The more genuine evidence we have on this the more likely it will be that Toyota will be forced to do what they should have morally done along time ago.

The fact the vehicle has had the Customer Satisfaction Campaign carried out and still experience the same issue is of concern.

Please feel free to post your experiences here too and I will pass them onto the gentleman I am in contact with at the DVSA.

If you are reading this line, I thank you for your time.

Simon

DVSA website to report serious safety defect: www.gov.uk/vehicle-recalls-and-faults/report-a-ser...t

PS I have attached the relevant Customer Satisfaction Survey and Technical Bulletins here. These documents I have obtained through other postings on this forum

Toyota MMT flashing 'N' solved. - ClubJud

Had car a few weeks, happened first time today, reported to DVSA.

What next, any update from DVSA ?

Hi RG26

I just bought the 2005 automatic model of corolla verso some four weeks ago and was terrified when my gear slipped from the drive to Neutral while i was on the M25 doing, I quickly coasted it to the hard shoulder for safety. I have read all the treads and i am desperate for a solution. Please how were you able to resolve the issue and is there any way you can help me? Unfortunately i bought this privately, so i cant run to any dealer. Please help me out. Regards BJD

Please please could you report this issue to the DVSA. I have posted on other forums about this same issue as pasted below:

Dear All,

I have just joined this forum to gather information that I am presenting to the DVSA regarding the MMT Gearbox fault.

I am the owner of a Toyota Verso Corolla 54 reg. Back in May this year I was driving my car home when I was turning into a new road my car had popped into and remained stuck in neutral, with the car being positioned halfway into the road. I tried and tried again to get the car going, including restarting the engine several times until after a few minutes the car managed to get in gear. Within a minute or two at the next junction the same thing happened again and AGAIN whilst I was moving along the road. Luckily for me it was just before the school run so the roads were not so busy.

Anyway, this issue has been documented in other posts on the forum so I am definitely not the only person to experience this. I also believe it affects several vehicles, not just the Corolla Verso.

The next day I took the car to a Toyota garage to see if they could diagnose and resolve the issue. They charged me £95 for diagnostics and came back with the following fault:

"CO full diag and found P0810 recorded in system. Followed diag process and concluded reqs mechanical repair. New clutch, actuator and ECU. 7.2hours"

I will try and be brief with what followed on from here so I can get onto the main purpose of my post:

I looked up this issue on the forum and found that there was a Customer Satisfaction Survrey for this very fault as well as subsequent technical bulletins. It seems like there CSC was a soft recall that I believe should have been a hard recall on the fault. What happened to me was dangerous and there have been cases I have read on the forums/internet of this even happening whilst driving on the motorway.

I contacted Toyota Customer Relations to ascertain whether the CSC was carried out on the vehicle as well as the technical bulletin. Indeed the CSC was carried out on my vehicle to resolve this very issue yet a mere 30,000 miles later the fault appears, perhaps for the first time on this vehicle.

Toyota refused to rectify the situation free of charge...no surprises. Basically they said the Customer Service Campaign was done way back in 2009 and they would only provide a warrenty on the work till 2012.

I then decided to pursue this further by reporting what I consider to be a dangerous fault to DVSA who have so far been most sympathetic. In normal circumstances vehicle age would be an issue but thier concern is that this particular fault has nothing to do with the age of the vehicle, especially as the parts involved were replaced back in 2009. Toyota responded to the DVSAs enquiries by stating that I "may" have had warnings that this issue would occur and that I would have had time to take it the garage to resolve and as such cannot be classed as a sudden dangerous issue. There was no warning lights and I am not sure how you could be warned that your gearbox will pop in and get stuck in neutral all of a sudden.

Unsatisfied with Toyota's response, the DVSA have sent in followup questions which has now lead to Toyota making contact with me to get my vehicle in for inspection. This has yet to be arranged. I rang the DVSA and they confirmed that I should agree to this being done.

Now to the purpose of my post. This MMT issue has been going on for many years now and there are significant number of people affected by it, many of whom will have since had their car either repaired, sold on or scrapped, etc. If anybody has experienced this issue could I encourage you to contact DVSA as it seems like they are finally taking this issue very seriously. The more genuine evidence we have on this the more likely it will be that Toyota will be forced to do what they should have morally done along time ago.

The fact the vehicle has had the Customer Satisfaction Campaign carried out and still experience the same issue is of concern.

Please feel free to post your experiences here too and I will pass them onto the gentleman I am in contact with at the DVSA.

Simon

DVSA website to report serious safety defect: www.gov.uk/vehicle-recalls-and-faults/report-a-ser...t

PS I have attached the relevant Customer Satisfaction Survey and Technical Bulletins here. These documents I have obtained through other postings on this forum

Hi RG26 I just bought the 2005 automatic model of corolla verso some four weeks ago and was terrified when my gear slipped from the drive to Neutral while i was on the M25 doing, I quickly coasted it to the hard shoulder for safety. I have read all the treads and i am desperate for a solution. Please how were you able to resolve the issue and is there any way you can help me? Unfortunately i bought this privately, so i cant run to any dealer. Please help me out my email address is makniyi@gmail.com.

Regards BJD

Toyota MMT flashing 'N' solved. - thunderbird

Hi RG26 I just bought the 2005 automatic model of corolla verso some four weeks ago and was terrified when my gear slipped from the drive to Neutral while i was on the M25 doing, I quickly coasted it to the hard shoulder for safety. I have read all the treads and i am desperate for a solution. Please how were you able to resolve the issue and is there any way you can help me? Unfortunately i bought this privately, so i cant run to any dealer. Please help me out my email address is makniyi@gmail.com.

Regards BJD

Don't worry about it. Simply take the car to your nearest Toyota dealer and according to the Toyota lovers on this site they will fix it free of charge even though it is long out of any warranty. Apparantly Toyota (and Honda) do ity all the time so, as I said, nothing to worry about.

Toyota MMT flashing 'N' solved. - daveyK_UK

Or buy a new ford auto and once the auto box packs in after just 15 months, take it to your Ford dealer who will tell you 'nothing I can do about it, not covered by the warranty, must be the way you drive it'.

Toyota MMT flashing 'N' solved. - thunderbird

Or buy a new ford auto and once the auto box packs in after just 15 months, take it to your Ford dealer who will tell you 'nothing I can do about it, not covered by the warranty, must be the way you drive it'.

That will be because Ford consider the gearbox to be "trim" and as we all know after 1 year the Ford warranty does not cover trim.

Toyota MMT flashing 'N' solved. - NONSO

Hi RG26, same problem as with others who posted here. My 06 corolla verso is slipping back to N whenever i do frequent stop in a slow moving traffic. Although i can get it work again by switching the engine off and on again, it's very dangerous if you are in the middle of the road. It will be a big help & relief if you could give us more details on how you did it in your gearbox. I'll appreciate if you can email it to me at nomsco@live.com. Thanks.Please help me out i just got the car .

Toyota MMT flashing 'N' solved. - PCW80
Hi all
I have been having the same issue with my 53 plate Yaris. It doesn't happen all the time but I would like to at least stop it from happening as it can become quite embarrassing when it goes at lights or on a roundabout sat waiting in traffic.

If some one could send me a step by step guide on how to fix the issue at home with my tool kit. If you know someone local to Cambridge that isn't going to break the bank that knows what there doing it would be most appreciated.

Please email me peter_charles12@msn.com

Many thanks

Pete
Toyota MMT flashing 'N' solved. - Onoms

Good Day RG26

I will appreciate if you can assist with the solution you profered on this problem.

I got a 2005 model and has been having issues from then. Please I will appreciate all your assistance inh this regard.Pictures and Step by Step guide to my email is agenerien@gmail.com

Toyota MMT flashing 'N' solved. - DoubleOSeven

Dear RG26,

Just like everyone else, i fell for this scam of a Toyota Corola Verso T3 spirit. I bought mine an 2007 model about a month ago. The gear slipped out on my wife while she was driving it in slow traffic 2weeks ago. Today, it happened again to me!!!!.

I 'd like you to do the same thing you did on yours for me or perhaps send me a step by step guide (of course i don't expect this service for free). Please contact me on jeesentia01@yahoo.com. thanks.

James.

Toyota MMT flashing 'N' solved. - jimis_28

Dear RG26

Have a problem with the MMT Gearbox on my 06 Corolla since I bought it (2010), but it started happening very often recently and it's EXTREMELY annoying... When I bought the car it had 77k miles and it happened within 10 months of purchasing...then i change actuator and clutch in toyota and after 1 year started again

It's a 05 Toyota Corolla 1.4 D4D with MMT gearbox (semi-auto) - manufacured in UK.
;
Problem is that every now and again (in the last couple of weeks it happens nearly everyday), when I slow down and the gear box goes into 1st gear (for example, at trafic lights) it goes into Neutral and the fault lamp for gearbox lights on the dashboard. It happen when in both Semi-auto mode and Manual mode...

There's no way you can get it back in gear unless you switch off the engine, wait for 30 to 60 seconds and switch on again.the clutch slippin in changes to all gears

I 'd like you to do the same thing you did on yours for me or perhaps send me a step by step guide.please contact me on dimkasinas@hotmail.com thanks

Toyota MMT flashing 'N' solved. - kfirso

Dear RG26,

Just like everyone else, i had the same problem on my Toyota Corola 2008. I bought my 2008 model two years ago. The gear slipped out when my wife was driving it in slow traffic 2 weeks ago. Today, it happened again to me!!!! and again, and again...

I 'd like you to do the same thing you did on yours for me or perhaps send me a step by step guide.

Please contact me on kfir.sofer@gmail.com

Thanks a lot.

Kfir

Toyota MMT flashing 'N' solved. - Norbi

Hi RG26.

I'm having exactly the same issue with toyota corolla verso 2007,I came accross your post and wondered have you had any further issues around the MMT problem since you did this fix?I would love if you could share this info with me.I'm really devastated.

My email xxxx2405@interia.pl

Many thanks.Norbi.

Please could you contact DVSA regarding this issue. I have posted on other forums about this same issue as pasted below:

Dear All,

Simon

Toyota MMT flashing 'N' solved. - Uk4caster

I have been having an identical problem. I have a 54 2004 verso mmt. This first happened about 6 years ago. Toyota said it was the clutch actuator. Had it repaired at cost of £2500 . then. It started again this summer slipping from drivrinto neutral flashing N etc as with most of the posts here. This time quoted and reluctantly paid £3250 for the repair. It has now restarted the problem and now will not shift out of netral so can't be driven. That happened today. I am furious with Toyota over this. Ok my car is 14 years old but it has only done 48000 miles and has had to have in total £5750 on this same problem. The mmt gearbox is clearly a lemon and toyota have not taken responsibility for this.

Toyota MMT flashing 'N' solved. - MILKIE

Hi,

I am one of the owners of a Verso and just like the rest I am also experiencing issues with the gearbox slipping to N. My experience is not any different from other owners but I would say I was glad it did not led to serious accidents while driving in the motorway at 70-80 mph speed. I have read more scary incidents in this thread and honestly I wouldn't know what to do in those situations. I must admit I was ignorant about these faults and perhaps blinded by the assumption that Japanese cars are the best. I am now seriously scrapping the car but would still want to wait what DVSA says about it. I have reported this issue to them with the hope that any future accidents in the road won't involve cars with this type of transmission or fault.

Mik

Toyota MMT flashing 'N' solved. - NasK

Hi RG26,

same problem as with others who posted here. My 06 corolla verso is slipping back to N whenever i do frequent stop in a slow moving traffic. Although i can get it work again by switching the engine off and on again, it's very dangerous if you are in the middle of the road. It will be a big help & relief if you could give us more details on how you did it in your gearbox. I'll appreciate if you can email it to me at nasweeph@gmail.com. Thanks.

Toyota Corolla and Corolla Verso - Gearbox problems on Toyota Corolla MMT - Millsy91

Just top up oil in gearbox thats what i did and works fine now

Toyota Corolla and Corolla Verso - Gearbox problems on Toyota Corolla MMT - abigail168

Millsy91 - This is what I would love to check but we cannot find where or how to access where the auto transmission fluid is stored or should be topped up. Nothing about it in my user manual. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Edited by abigail168 on 23/02/2016 at 11:45

Toyota Corolla and Corolla Verso - Gearbox problems on Toyota Corolla MMT - skidpan

Are you seriously expecting the DVSA to have any interest in this. From your post the car is almost 14 years old.

I am the owner of a Toyota Verso Corolla 54 reg.

14 year old cars wear out and break, its a simple fact. By that age most have been scrapped. The DVSA are not going to take a complaint from the owner of a 14 year old seriously, the best you should expect is a polite "get it repaired or scrap it".

If it was a year old car and was just one of a large number with a safety related issue it would be a different matter.

Man up and get it sorted.

Toyota Corolla and Corolla Verso - Gearbox problems on Toyota Corolla MMT - MILKIE

I don't think there is harm in trying. My case of gear slipping to N is actually being reviewed now by a dedicated engineer in DVSA. I think this is one step in developing solution to this gearbox issue and to make Toyota develop cars that are safe. The only way DVSA can act is if we report that there is something wrong and the age of the car should not be relevant in this case as it seems that the fault is common to a model of the vehicle. I believe we both agree that we don't want to get caught in a road incident in the future involving a vehicle with a known fault.

Toyota Corolla and Corolla Verso - Gearbox problems on Toyota Corolla MMT - Harry lukas

I don't think there is harm in trying. My case of gear slipping to N is actually being reviewed now by a dedicated engineer in DVSA. I think this is one step in developing solution to this gearbox issue and to make Toyota develop cars that are safe. The only way DVSA can act is if we report that there is something wrong and the age of the car should not be relevant in this case as it seems that the fault is common to a model of the vehicle. I believe we both agree that we don't want to get caught in a road incident in the future involving a vehicle with a known fault.

Hello nice of you reporting this I will as well report it as well . This is really terrible . This can not be diagnosed until it happens. please keep us informed on any progress on your part
Toyota Corolla and Corolla Verso - Gearbox problems on Toyota Corolla MMT - MILKIE

Albert what happened to your toyota now?

Toyota Corolla and Corolla Verso - Gearbox problems on Toyota Corolla MMT - Avant

The original post was the only one that Albert favoured us with - over six years ago.

I've been contacted by a Toyota engineer after I logged a complaint from DVSA regarding the MMT issue . I will update this thread when I have the report.

Toyota Corolla and Corolla Verso - Gearbox problems on Toyota Corolla MMT - ClubJud

MILKIE any news ?

I've raised a report with DVSA today.

Cheers.

Toyota Corolla and Corolla Verso - Gearbox problems on Toyota Corolla MMT - MKhan

If you still have a problem I can help for free I have replied to Albert.

Toyota Corolla and Corolla Verso - Gearbox problems on Toyota Corolla MMT - Aftab Shaik
Hello Khan,
I have the same problem my mmt gear slipping into N I am really annoyed with this problem could you please email me the solution aftab1213@yahoo.com I will appreciate
Toyota Corolla and Corolla Verso - Gearbox problems on Toyota Corolla MMT - MKhan

Hello Albert,

I know what you must have gone through I had the exact same problem with my MMT Yaris.

After extensive research I managed to get it fixed at home with my dad working on it.

No mechanics or garages will ever tell you the truth but I am happy to tell you I have found the solution to it and I can share it with you free of charge.

First step) I opened the clutch actuator assembly and changed the two bearings inside and two bushes which goes faulty. It cost me 30 pounds to order those parts from Estonia on eBay T he parts are called::

Toyota Clutch Actuator Repair Kit Teflon Bushing Bearing Shaft Spec Grease P0810. E bay Item number: 273126542477.

Second Step: I ordered a new clutch actuator motor from Poland for 100 pounds. eBayItem number: 143009876764

Third Step I order a stroke sensor for clutch actuator from China for 15 pounds.

I installed all the parts with the help of my dad but after a minute drive I got the same s***ty problem again I was so annoyed that I wanted to scrap it for 100 pounds after all that hard work and research.

I still did not give up I did little more research and found out that with any MMT gearboxes you must do the initialization and learning of the ECU, CLUTCH and Transmission when you install ANY NEW PARTS otherwise it will not work..

I found the user guide for the initialization process online, it is also explained on youtube by some polish guy. Type in google you will find the actual Toyota initialization guide. Type in search TOYOTA MMT INITIALIZATION OF CLUTCH.

I read the booklet 10 times to understand it and then I started the process. As I did not have the OBD I used a jumper wire (any steel wire you can take out from a black lead without plastic coating) I connected the steel wire to slot 13 and 4 of the OBD slot under the steering and then I started the process.

It took me 5 minutes to reset the initialism the ECU THEN CLUTCH AND THEN TRANSMISSION.

BINGO THE CAR WAS PERFECT TO DRIVE TODAY SOLD IT FOR 2400 AND THE DAY BEFORE IT WAS WORTH 100 POUNDS.

ANY ONE NEED HELP MESSAGE WITH INITIALIZATION PROCESS LET ME KNOW.

Toyota Corolla and Corolla Verso - Gearbox problems on Toyota Corolla MMT - Hsjaj
Hi Khan

Please can we connect via email, i really need your help

Memuletiwondaniel@yahoo.com

Toyota Corolla and Corolla Verso - Gearbox problems on Toyota Corolla MMT - Achy

Hi MKhan,

Can I please get in touch with for further advice.

my email: achy.1003@gmail.com

Thanks

Toyota Corolla and Corolla Verso - Gearbox problems on Toyota Corolla MMT - Riaz.572

Hi. I'm struggling to get the N back on dashboard as I've got no power from gas peddle and gears not working. I've used the manual procedure using jumper wire as you mentioned and can hear the gears shifting but still not getting any N showing on dashboard or power from gas pedal. I've had my clutch and gear actuators repaired by BBA Reman with warranty and they've rechecked the actuators twice and have confirmed them to be working correctly.

Please could you email me with any help.

riaz3572@gmail.com

Toyota Corolla and Corolla Verso - Gearbox problems on Toyota Corolla MMT - Cazra

I could really use some help with my Yaris MMT issue. Not sure how to contact you directly on here though!

Caz

Toyota Corolla and Corolla Verso - Gearbox problems on Toyota Corolla MMT - galileo

I could really use some help with my Yaris MMT issue. Not sure how to contact you directly on here though!

Caz

Ask a direct question with a new heading, this will start a new thread.

Toyota Corolla and Corolla Verso - Gearbox problems on Toyota Corolla MMT - James Casserly

Hi MKhan,

I am also having similar issues with my 2006 Yaris, could you please provide further info to jamescasserly22@gmail.com?

Many thanks

Hello Albert

Read my reply I wrote an essay to your problem lol

Toyota Corolla and Corolla Verso - Gearbox problems on Toyota Corolla MMT - MFarhan

Hi MKhan

I got Toyota verso 2007. I got same gearbox issue.

I would really appreciate if you help me out to sort this issue

Thanks

Toyota Corolla and Corolla Verso - Gearbox problems on Toyota Corolla MMT - LOKO

Hi Albert

Having read your post pls am having these same problem with my Toyota Corrolla Verso semi automatic always hook up at N and made no move and a sound pls kindly sent me your solution link to my email lokomiston@yahoo.co.uk

Pls. My email lokomiston@yahoo.co.uk Pls can't wait for your help

Thanks

Loko

Toyota Corolla and Corolla Verso - Gearbox problems on Toyota Corolla MMT - Aftab Shaik
Hello,
I have the same problem same car it goes in neutral, is ur Car problem solved if it did what did u do could You pls share.
Toyota Corolla and Corolla Verso - Gearbox problems on Toyota Corolla MMT - Khan Toyota Verso

Hi ,

I had same problem with my verso, used to go N when stops or slows, would need restart engine after some interval.

I went to a responsible and reasonable Mechanic where i usually go whenever i need.

He did the Gear Box Reprogramming , although in diagnosis it says clutch Actuator fault. It costed me under 80 Pounds.

Since then ,

my car is Not having that Problem , even running , gearing More Smoothly.

Hope it would sort your problem too.

Tc

Bye

Toyota Corolla and Corolla Verso - Gearbox problems on Toyota Corolla MMT - Mu Mirza

Hi

I had similar issues with Toyota Verso 2007. Can you please share details of your responsible real Mechanic.

Kind Regards

Toyota Corolla and Corolla Verso - Gearbox problems on Toyota Corolla MMT - Khan Toyota Verso

Hi ,

I got it fixed from Xtremne Motors , Mitcham.

See IVO there.

Take care

Bye

Toyota Corolla and Corolla Verso - Gearbox problems on Toyota Corolla MMT - Yaspan

Hi Khan,

has this solved your issue long term?

mines on 112,000 miles and it slipped into N the other day.

i'm in North London but considering taking mine down to Xtreme in Mitcham if they know these cars.

many thanks

Toyota Corolla and Corolla Verso - Gearbox problems on Toyota Corolla MMT - Steveieb

I’d be interested to know if this problem affected later Toyota autos such as the Avensis or did Toyota improve the MMT gearbox ?

Toyota Corolla and Corolla Verso - Gearbox problems on Toyota Corolla MMT - madf

MMT was dropped for CVT.

Toyota Corolla and Corolla Verso - Gearbox problems on Toyota Corolla MMT - Heidfirst

I’d be interested to know if this problem affected later Toyota autos such as the Avensis or did Toyota improve the MMT gearbox ?

The Avensis diesels had a torque converter tranny.

Earlier petrol Avensis autos also had a torque converter tranny but for T27 (2009>) the petrol auto switched to a Multidrive S CVT.