Does your car make you smile - ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Heres the deal. I have 20k to buy a car. After driving around in a 51 plate Laguna for the last 3+ years I could finally get myself something newer. My Laguna Privilege has been enjoyable to drive but it is now starting to get one fault after another.

So, today I went and looked at 2 cars that please my eye. A Nissan Qashqai (15k) and an Audi A5 Sportsback.

Audi 2L diesel was 1st and although the car looks wonderful my first words I said to the salesman was "No foot rest for the left foot". Petty to some but I've been so used to it I thought all cars had them these day. Anyway, the car was really lovely to drive but it didn't make me feel oh wow.

Same story with the 1.5 Diesel Qashqai. Not a bad nip in the engine for a 1.5 but again, it was nice to drive but I didn't walk away with a feeling of, yeah that's the one.

I have read reviews on the KIA Sportage where some people have said when they go out to their Sportage in the morning it puts a smile on their face and they enjoy driving it. I will be going to look at one.

So do you guys n gals have a motor that puts a smile on your face when you get in it? If so, what have you got? :-)

Does your car make you smile - Avant

I know just what you mean - you want a car that makes you want to go for a drive for trhe sake of it. My old Z3 and SWMBO's Mini Roadster do that - but they're convertibles and don't sound quite like the car you need....

But I get similar enjoyment from my Octavia vRS estate - basically a Golf GTI with a roomier body, and both petrol and diesel versions go like a bomb. And it has a footrest - I agree that's a more important factor than it sounds. I'm surprised that the A5 hasn't got one: VAG are normally very good about this.

I wouldn't have thought that the Kia Sportage was meant to be a 'fun car' - but do tell us what you think when you've had a go in one.

Does your car make you smile - sandy56

Currently drive a Toyota Auris and no it doesn't make me smile, except in my wallet. Cars that I have owned that did make me smile old model A4 with V6 engine petrol, SAab 95 auto, Mazda .mx5

Does your car make you smile - RT

After a working life of commuting and business motoring had all but extinguished my love of driving, it took a Subaru Outback to put the smile back on my face particularly on twisty B-roads.

My biggest surprise was/is the huge grin I get from my present car which is just as good on B-roads as the Subaru despite weighing 2 tonnes - and is more economical - it's a Hyundai Santa Fe !!!

Edited by RT on 11/08/2012 at 09:55

Does your car make you smile - Bobbin Threadbare

Yes my car makes me smile a lot, but it's a ridiculously impractical MX-5. Then again, I only have myself to transport around.

Does your car make you smile - V4 Heaven
My 170,000 mile Toyota Carina E 1.8 petrol makes me smile for the following reasons:

* I've only lost £4,000 in depreciation in the last 10 years that I have owned it.

* The looks on peoples' faces when I overtake them makes me smile, especially prestige brands who think that they should not be overtaken by such an old car.

* The guaranteed 40-45mpg makes me smile because it's as economical as its modern day equivalents.

* Its light weight (compared to modern cars) and its peppy engine make me smile.

* The large boot and estate-like space when the seats are folded down make it extremely versatile (it'll take a 6ft by 3ft bed frame).

* I can park it where I want without fear of some idiot scratching it or denting the doors.

* It did a 1,600 mile trip to Naples in two days - everyone should try this!

* It's on its original clutch.

* The fact that it's never let me down gives me a big smile.

All in all, it still makes me smile!
Does your car make you smile - Avant

Sounds like straight-four heaven! Nothing soldiers on quite like an old Toyota, with the possible exception of an old Volvo. That 1.8 petrol engine is a good'un; I can't think why Toyota GB won't import the Auris with this engine.

We hired one in NZ a few years ago and its power-to-weight ratio was certainly enough to put a smile on my face, even though they won't let you drive at anything over 100 kph.

Does your car make you smile - gordonbennet

Cars the OP has been trying are variations on the same theme, fashionable modern designs made to beat emissions criteria of one sort or another, and to give good results in the fuel consumption smoke and mirrors exercise.

Cars that make you smile are usually slightly different, one important must is an engine that sounds nice, that can be Diesel BUT it can never be a 4 cylinder Diesel, which belong in tractors and delivery vans.

The engine should have more than enough easy oomph, there is nothing worse than having to constantly stir a gearbox or be in some tiny correct rev band whenever you want to accelerate swiftly, a tractable powerful (quiet unless requested) engine coupled to a silky smooth torque converter auto makes driving a pleasure, simply cruise along without a care in the world, when power required just squirt and the car does it for you, but in a quiet refined dignified way.

What do i drive?, a 16 year old MB E320 coupe which i've owned for about 10 years, silky smooth, quiet, refined and goes like hell when asked, cheap to run on LPG too, yes its still an object lesson in driving pleasure especially with all windows and roof open, no silly toys to go wrong and ploughs through snow without a murmer, motoring bliss.

If i had up to £20k to spend on something to make me smile what would i buy?

Lexus GS450h, because it fulfils all of the criteria (especially effortless rapid acceleration) whilst giving equivalent Diesel economy without the noise and smell, the only downside being boot space, if boot space a must, Lexus RX400h. If i had to have Diesel, then a BMW 530/535 or MB E320.

Edited by gordonbennet on 11/08/2012 at 21:54

Cars that make you smile are usually slightly different, one important must is an engine that sounds nice, that can be Diesel BUT it can never be a 4 cylinder Diesel, which belong in tractors and delivery vans.

Have you driven the Subaru ?

Does your car make you smile - gordonbennet

Have you driven the Subaru ?

No thats one car i haven't driven yet, doesn't it suffer from the usual lag until the blower gets wound up then all systems go like nearly all other small 4 pot turbocharged engines, petrol or Diesel?

I admire Subarus a lot, Outback and Forester are firmly pencilled in should anything cause my MB to exit early, not latest Legacy though, thats been battered with the ugly stick they used on Tribeca.

I don't understand turbo lag on a diesel - I know full well it's effect on a petrol engine but diesels are running full boost of air all the time and simply inject more fuel during acceleration - in any case, virtually all turbos these days are variable geometry which reduces the lag even further.

Does your car make you smile - balleballe

I love the way a 3 series BMW drives, but its impractical for me to have a RWD car

I also don't want people to brand me as a t*** because I drive a BMW

Does your car make you smile - Bobbin Threadbare

I love the way a 3 series BMW drives, but its impractical for me to have a RWD car

I also don't want people to brand me as a t*** because I drive a BMW

Haha ditto. Mr B says I'm not allowed a BMW ever. He's begun to extend that to Audis too.

Does your car make you smile - jamie745

its impractical for me to have a RWD car

Why? Are you a girlyman? :P

Does your car make you smile - dixgas

Yes it does, Lexus IS 250 auto, 206bhp V6 petrol with torque convertor auto gearbox, a match made in heaven.

D

Does your car make you smile - balleballe

its impractical for me to have a RWD car

Why? Are you a girlyman? :P

No, and neither are my passengers - hence the need for some rear room ;)

Mainly though - the winters up here are bad

Does your car make you smile - craig-pd130

I don't understand turbo lag on a diesel - I know full well it's effect on a petrol engine but diesels are running full boost of air all the time and simply inject more fuel during acceleration - in any case, virtually all turbos these days are variable geometry which reduces the lag even further.

Sweeping generalisation here, but most of the 2 litre and under diesels in modern cars don't start to develop proper pull until 1,500 / 1,750rpm, they're mostly flat below this.

I believe some of this is because a small(ish) engine simply won't be efficient below these rpm, and some is because of the manufacturer's engine mapping, which is designed to protect DMFs against high-torque / low rpm loadings.

My old Mondeo IV and current Volvo raise the rpm to about 1100 - 1200 when setting off from rest, without throttle input. They use a switch on the clutch pedal (also linked to the cruise control function) to do this, again to cushion the DMF as much as possible.

All the turbo diesels I've driven have good lag-free response once they are above that 1,500ish rpm mark.

Does your car make you smile - Buster Cambelt

The two Legacy diesels were the only oil burners that have ever put a smile on my face. It's the wilful "dare to be different" and the sheer competence that won me over in the way that the predecessor (D5 Volvo V70) fell so far short of the mark in every way.

Nowadays, petrol, 6 cylinders, 350 bhp and a cabriolet roof does the job perfectly! Mind you, so does two cylinders, 85 bhp and a cabriolet roof.

Edited by Buster Cambelt on 14/08/2012 at 18:58

Does your car make you smile - craig-pd130

I've had a Volvo V60 D3 manual for 14 months and 16,000 miles as a company car, and it makes me smile every time I tickle the throttle. It's large, comfortable, roomy, relaxing and ticks all the boxes that a company / family barge should.

However the 5-pot 2 litre engine puts it in a different class to the 4-pot opposition. It is utterly bewitching and effortless, with a characterful warble when you open it up. It's also averaged a genuine 47mpg from new. For a workhorse it's good fun to drive.

20K would get you one of those -- but it would also get you a slightly older 330d too.

Does your car make you smile - mss1tw

My Berlingo has made me smile everytime it has been raining/cold since I bought it late last year. (So every other day)

Three years as an all weather biker makes for an easily pleased motorist.

Does your car make you smile - LikedDrivingOnce

Very good point, mss1tw!

I'm too guilty on dwelling on the bad points of cars that I drive, rather than appreciating the huge help in getting on with life that a decent and reliable car gives me.

Does your car make you smile - mss1tw

Very good point, mss1tw!

I'm too guilty on dwelling on the bad points of cars that I drive, rather than appreciating the huge help in getting on with life that a decent and reliable car gives me.

:-) It also helps me earn a wage (I'm a sparky) so it's more than just a convinience but I can use it as a car if needed.

I will also admit that as I grew up with vans and diesels I find its 1.9 non-turbo diesel lump to be a bit of a clattery trip down memory lane. It pulls well enough and can still get me points on the motorway if I try hard enough!

At least with no turbo, DMF, DPF, etc there's less to go wrong...

Does your car make you smile - TeeCee

I had the dubious pleasure of riding in the back of an Audi A5 the other day. I reckon they ought to be done for misrepresentation in sticking four doors on it.

It's a 2+2. Even after sliding down in the seat as far as I could get away with in the very limited legroom, I still had my head banging on the roof.

Does your car make you smile - davecooper

Big powerful cars are good for comfortable relaxed driving, but they certainly don't put a smile on my face. They are too easy to drive. Give me something small and nippy, that needs a fair bit of gear twiddling and needs a bit more planning before commiting to maneouvres and I will be beaming.

It's a bit like having few hours at a racing circuit and being offered an F1 car or a Formula Ford for the session. The FF would ultimately be the more fun to drive as you would never even scratch the surface of the F1 cars abilities.

Does your car make you smile - John Boy

Big powerful cars are good for comfortable relaxed driving, but they certainly don't put a smile on my face. They are too easy to drive. Give me something small and nippy, that needs a fair bit of gear twiddling and needs a bit more planning before commiting to maneouvres and I will be beaming..

I agree entirely. I wish I coud have put it in those words.

Does your car make you smile - Buster Cambelt

Big powerful cars are good for comfortable relaxed driving, but they certainly don't put a smile on my face. They are too easy to drive. Give me something small and nippy, that needs a fair bit of gear twiddling and needs a bit more planning before commiting to maneouvres and I will be beaming..

I agree entirely. I wish I coud have put it in those words.

It all depends on the mood, there are days when I find Mrs Cambelt's 500C hugely entertaining. It has the sort of brio that just makes you smile, especially when taking the tiny TwinAir to the red line in the lower gears. Guess that's your small and nippy.....

Then other days it just has to be the Carrera, far too powerful, far too big (honestly), and not in the slightest bit relaxing.

Does your car make you smile - scott1s

I have just recently taken delivery of a Giulietta 2.0 JTDm 170 in Veloce spec - and it makes me grin from ear to ear even when stationary. You should have a look at one and try it. The other ones fall into a lower road tax banding too (on the diesels anyway). I am also let to believe the MA170 (runs on proper fuel) is a real corker too.

I did also seriously consider the Chrysler Delta but didn't need anything that big. but what a comfy big car

Does your car make you smile - jamie745

I have just recently taken delivery of a Giulietta 2.0 JTDm 170 in Veloce spec - and it makes me grin from ear to ear even when stationary.

I had a similar experience with an Italian bird on holiday once

Does your car make you smile - 1litregolfeater

I'd get an MX5 if it was practical.

1 - Skoda Estelle 130, by the time they sorted it, you could shift that booty on the throttle. Big Grin!

2 - Corsa 1.0, really light and easy and use no petrol

3 - Triumph Spitfire - right laugh that but a bit crap mechanically

So MY common theme is light, cheap and economical.

I do like the Smart Sports, I bet that is good to drive!

Does your car make you smile - primeradriver

Mondeo.

Nope, it doesn't make me smile. Clutch and gas pedal are both far too lacking in feel, and gearbox is far too notchy to afford any real enjoyment.