BMW 3 Series Coupe - Tyre Insurance - Any Experiences? - meldrew

My wife phoned from work today to say that the tyre warning light had come on. Its not far so I drove over swapped cars and went to my local ATS as I could see something in a tyre. He pulled out a very short screw that had not punctured the nearly new tyre but the sensor had obviously detected a "problem". I have followed the runflat saga thoroughly and these are on 17" rims.

All presures checked OK, warning reset and all OK I hope. The tyres are Continental and even a puncture in the centre is not deemed repairable so I am told. At this point I get nervous! Has anyone any experience of BMW tyre insurance and any reservations about it if tyre is worn etc? Replacement (I would go for Michelin) seems to be around £150 . Takes me back 30 years or so when these were a new invention on a Mini GT!

BMW 3 Series Coupe - Tyre Insurance - Any Experiences? - thunderbird

My wife phoned from work today to say that the tyre warning light had come on. Its not far so I drove over swapped cars and went to my local ATS as I could see something in a tyre. He pulled out a very short screw that had not punctured the nearly new tyre but the sensor had obviously detected a "problem". I have followed the runflat saga thoroughly and these are on 17" rims.

All presures checked OK, warning reset and all OK I hope. The tyres are Continental and even a puncture in the centre is not deemed repairable so I am told. At this point I get nervous! Has anyone any experience of BMW tyre insurance and any reservations about it if tyre is worn etc? Replacement (I would go for Michelin) seems to be around £150 . Takes me back 30 years or so when these were a new invention on a Mini GT!

The warning light would not illuminate unless there was a drop in pressure, it would not detect a screw in the tread. Keep a close eye on your pressures. Runflats are repairable, had it done. The official line is exactly the same as that for ordinary tyres. The problem is for the repairers they cannot be sure how long the tyre has been run deflated and by how much. My local repairer asks a simple question, have you run it flat or was there still pressure in the tyre plus how long did you run it for. In my case the tyre still had 20 psi in when the light came on and I pumped it up to the normal pressure within 5 miles. He was happy to repair it. The old runflats on a Mini were a very different technology the current run flats.
BMW 3 Series Coupe - Tyre Insurance - Any Experiences? - ChannelZ

Runflats are repairable, just like any other tyre. Unless you drive on them flat, just like any other tyre.

There's no voodoo or witchcraft with runflats, they're just a normal tyre with chunky sidewalls, plain and simple.

BMW 3 Series Coupe - Tyre Insurance - Any Experiences? - Hamsafar

If they give you the runaround, repair it yourself like they do in all other countries where there isn't this 'buy this or you might die' predatory attitude.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Auto-Tubeless-Tyre-Tire-Pun...7

BMW 3 Series Coupe - Tyre Insurance - Any Experiences? - meldrew

Thanks for advice. Just thought I would comment that having checked the pressures were OK and reset the warning light we drove 500 miles to vist aged mother in law and all remains fine. Frankly I can do without the stress of all these hi-tech warnings - I've driven long enough to know when a tyre is going down!