Vauxhall Astra Sports Tourer - Astra Sports tourer 1.3 or 1.7 cdti, which one? - jamiev

hi, i have the option for a new company car and was wondering what people's opinions where about the power of the 1.3 (start stop) cdti compared to the 1.7?

95% of the time i am driving on my own and occasionally i go camping with the family (2 kids and the other half) with the car fully loaded. would the 1.3 cdti be ok?

would it have enough power (uphill and on the motorway etc..)?

has anyone driven the 1.3 cdti? what is the start stop like? does it save on fuel?

thanks, jamie

Vauxhall Astra Sports Tourer - Astra Sports tourer 1.3 or 1.7 cdti, which one? - unthrottled

The 1.7 will be more economical in the real world, and much better to drive.

Stop-start on a diesel is largely a BIK feature. It won't make any appreciable difference to your fuel bill if most of your driving is motorway.

Vauxhall Astra Sports Tourer - Astra Sports tourer 1.3 or 1.7 cdti, which one? - Chris79
Ive got a corsa 1.3 cdti 95 hp without the stop start. It returns a steady 51-54 mpg on a roads at 70 mph which is why I bought it and it sits at 70 at 2200 revs so it's relatively peaceful whilst cruising.

However the 1.3 is a gruff engine and is not pleasant to drive in an urban situation. Without the turbo you have nothing and with the turbo it is adequate but not a satisfying drive. I have never driven an Astra 1.3 but I suspect you would be much better of with the 1.7
Vauxhall Astra Sports Tourer - Astra Sports tourer 1.3 or 1.7 cdti, which one? - MikeTorque

Something wrong with that Corsa, I get over 70+mpg on mixed driving A roads and duel carriageways.

The 1.3 CDTi 95ps engine is a fairly vocal unit (but not as noisy as the VW 1.2 TDI engine) and has little low rev pulling torque, you need enough revs to kick in the turbo to get the torque up otherwise the car is a pain to drive in stop/start traffic.
However, the Astra does insulate the noise better than the Corsa.

The better choice is the 1.7 CDTi 110ps Ecoflex with 99 CO2, much better than the 1.3 CDTi 95ps, although any of the 1.7 CDTi engines offer decent torque & fuel economy and are nicer to drive day to day than the 1.3 CDTi.

If you want a superior and comfortable ride then choose an Astra model with 215/60 R16 rims+tyres, the 17" rim/tyre do generate more road noise and offer noticeably less comfort especially when travelling over rough road surfaces and speed humps.

Another thing to consider with the Astra is the seating position verses the steering height position, the steering wheel is set too low for some people even on maximum adjustment. Also the sports seats (in SRi trim etc.) are very hard when travelling any distance. Rear view visibility is poor and rear parking is hindered as a result.

It's also worth considering is a Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi, nice refined engine and more refined and comfortable than the Focus mk2, the rear view visibility is similar to the Astra.

Vauxhall Astra Sports Tourer - Astra Sports tourer 1.3 or 1.7 cdti, which one? - ChannelZ

Another thing to consider with the Astra is the seating position verses the steering height position, the steering wheel is set too low for some people even on maximum adjustment. Also the sports seats (in SRi trim etc.) are very hard when travelling any distance. Rear view visibility is poor and rear parking is hindered as a result.

It's also worth considering is a Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi, nice refined engine and more refined and comfortable than the Focus mk2, the rear view visibility is similar to the Astra.

I think I'd have to argue with you there. The focus isn't confortable, and the 1.6TDCI isn't half the engine of the good old 1.7CDTI, both in power and reliability. We have a heap of the 1.6TDCI Focii and 1.7CDTI Astras at work, and the Astras are far and away more reliable.

As for the 1.3CDTI, it's actually 1249cc so should be classed as a 1.2. :) It's a troublesome unit, with snapping camshafts, dodgy timing chain tensioners, oil pumps. There's no torque off boost, either. I would use it to power a cement mixer, personally.

Vauxhall Astra Sports Tourer - Astra Sports tourer 1.3 or 1.7 cdti, which one? - Oli rag

I have driven a 1.7 cdti astra and couldn't believe the gruff noise and amount of vibration that came through the pedals. I couldn't live with that, I think that's part of the reason I stick with petrol engines.

Vauxhall Astra Sports Tourer - Astra Sports tourer 1.3 or 1.7 cdti, which one? - ChannelZ

I have driven a 1.7 cdti astra and couldn't believe the gruff noise and amount of vibration that came through the pedals. I couldn't live with that, I think that's part of the reason I stick with petrol engines.

I think that particular 1.7 was broken. My Mk5 Astra 1.7CDTI is noisy, but here's no vibration through pedals. Perhaps the one you drove had a failed engine mount?

Vauxhall Astra Sports Tourer - Astra Sports tourer 1.3 or 1.7 cdti, which one? - Collos25
The problems you talk about
Vauxhall Astra Sports Tourer - Astra Sports tourer 1.3 or 1.7 cdti, which one? - Collos25
The problems you talk about were rectified long ago.
Vauxhall Astra Sports Tourer - Astra Sports tourer 1.3 or 1.7 cdti, which one? - rpmmatt

I have the previous 90bhp 1.3 cdti in astra estate form. Had no issues with it. Just finished a 2000mile trip round france and germany. Averaged 57mpg at 80mph fully loaded with 3 blokes and camping gear.

Round town get closer to 45mpg. Oddly this little engine is muchbetter at speed as you can keep it in the power band. Motorway speeds you dont feel the low power at all.

1.7 would be nicer round town with more low down torque, but i like my little 1.3. Now has 120000 miles on it. Its a cracking little motor, but dont expect to race anyone off the lights.

Vauxhall Astra Sports Tourer - Astra Sports tourer 1.3 or 1.7 cdti, which one? - jamiev

so, to throw the cat amongst the pigeons; what is the 1.3 cdti meriva exclusiv like compared to the astra?

thanks

Vauxhall Astra Sports Tourer - Astra Sports tourer 1.3 or 1.7 cdti, which one? - Waino

I'm afraid that I can't comment on the Meriva, however, I have an early 07 1.3tdci Astra estate and would concur with every word that rpmmatt says about it in the previous post. The zero power before the turbo kicks in is not good for pulling away from roundabouts etc but, fortunately, I don't have to do much town driving in heavy traffic. For this reason, given the choice, i think I would taking a close look at the 1.7.

I've noticed the widely-reported vibration present at certain speeds at about the point that the turbo kicks in. It feels a bit like being in too high a gear for the engine speed and I seem to be able to largely get round it by reacting as though I'm in too high a gear. I'm also trying to weigh up if it is affected by the brand of diesel that I'm using.

I've been running the Astra 1.3 for 28 months and have taken it from 44k to 70k miles - and I'm in no hurry to change it.

Vauxhall Astra Sports Tourer - Astra Sports tourer 1.3 or 1.7 cdti, which one? - gordonbennet

I drove hundreds of the previous Astra model, and without fail the nicest drive was the 1.9, loads of grunt which was noticeably less in the 1.7 and missing completely in the 1.3, i simply could not consider owning the latter engine, too frustrating.

Have you considered the 2.0 litre, indeed is it an option in your car choice?

Edited by gordonbennet on 18/06/2012 at 10:38

Vauxhall Astra Sports Tourer - Astra Sports tourer 1.3 or 1.7 cdti, which one? - TeeCee

> new company car

> what is the start stop like? does it save on fuel?

And you care about the latter because..............? Surely it's only the BIK numbers that have any bearing on your decision?

Edited by TeeCee on 18/06/2012 at 13:06

Vauxhall Astra Sports Tourer - Astra Sports tourer 1.3 or 1.7 cdti, which one? - Chris79
Mike Torque - Im impressed with the economy that you can achieve with your Corsa. Does it have the stop start?, what type of fuel do you use. My usual journey is a 50 mile trip. 85 % of the trip is at 70 on A roads and the remaining 15 % on backroads some where between 0 and 60 mph. The best i have ever seen is 56mpg. this is worked out on a tank to tank basis using the method stated on here for HJ's fuel register.

I use Asda fuel and add Redex from time to time.

I can concur with Wainos comments about the vibration. I have exactly the same symptons on my Corsa and it is reassuring to hear im not the only one.
Vauxhall Astra Sports Tourer - Astra Sports tourer 1.3 or 1.7 cdti, which one? - Waino

Chris - there has been previous discussion on HJ about the 1.3 vibration, but no one seems to have come up with an answer. My question here www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=95244

referred to an earlier thread but, as the thread remained unanswered, I guess that those who have observed the vibration have learned to live with it - or got rid of the car.

This may be a figment of my imagination, but I sensed that the vibration was less when I used Tesco (bog standard) diesel. I am checking this at the moment and would be very interested to hear any comments.

My comments on mpg are based on brim to brim monitoring; the best I have ever achieved is 62.8mpg during 60mph journeys on A and M roads. During the summer, including some longer journeys, I get 58mpg. - more mixed driving gives me 55mpg. The lowest ever (by far) was mostly short jouneys in Jan/Feb when I got 45mpg.

Vauxhall Astra Sports Tourer - Astra Sports tourer 1.3 or 1.7 cdti, which one? - MikeTorque

Mike Torque - Im impressed with the economy that you can achieve with your Corsa. Does it have the stop start?, what type of fuel do you use. My usual journey is a 50 mile trip. 85 % of the trip is at 70 on A roads and the remaining 15 % on backroads some where between 0 and 60 mph. The best i have ever seen is 56mpg. this is worked out on a tank to tank basis using the method stated on here for HJ's fuel register. I use Asda fuel and add Redex from time to time.

I stick with using Shell FuelSave with Millers Diesel Power EcoMAX (single strength).
Shell FuelSave on its own gives around 2 to 3 mpg less than the above and offers less low rev torque, although off turbo grunt is poor whatever the fuel).

Typically on a 100 mile journey with 45 miles of dual carriageway (speedo normally between 67 and 70mph most of the time) with around 15 roundabouts and the rest a mixture of A and B roads (speedo between 0 and 60mph) with plenty of rolling hills to go up and down and passing through a few small villages and towns I generally get around 78mpg.

The 100 mile return journey gives around 72mpg due to more head wind resistance and more up hills than down hills. I always lift off well before a roundabout and only brake close to the approach, accelerate moderately to get up to cruising speed.
(fuel figures checked with brim to brim and the trip computer is within 1mpg).

On the same route in a Focus mk2 1.6TDCi 109ps I get around 72.5mpg and 66mpg respectively, although with a strong headwind these can drop to 66.5mpg and 59.5mpg respectively. (fuel figures checked with brim to brim and the trip computer is within 1mpg).

Mike T, I'd be interested to know - have you experienced the aforementioned vibration with your 1.3 diesel?

Sorry, must have missed - is your car the Corsa, or the Astra (estate?)?

Cheers

Edited by Waino on 19/06/2012 at 16:14

Mike T, I'd be interested to know - have you experienced the aforementioned vibration with your 1.3 diesel?

Sorry, must have missed - is your car the Corsa, or the Astra (estate?)?

Cheers

I get to drive a number of cars including a Corsa 1.3 CDTi 95ps. Apart from general engine vibration through the steering and pedals etc. and exhaust fumes leaking from the engine I've not encountered the extreme vibration that is widely reported with the 1.3 CDTi.