Toyota Avensis 2008 2.2D Estate - Head Gasket failure - Robin the Technician

Hi,

Just had my Toyota in the main dealer as I was losing water. They have reported as I suspected, that the head gasket has failed. Having read on here that it was a 'known issue' I asked if Toyota would fix it free of charge. I was told that:-

a) Its out of warranty (not dificult to work out)

b) My car does not fall within the 'known' vin number head gasket parameters

c) the car was not serviced by a Toyota Dealer - although it is fully serviced using approved parts.

Therefore no assistance would be given towards the 2K bill.

Shocked, I rang Toyota CS who virtually said get stuffed and don't ring us again, minion!!!

I thought I'd buy a quality Jap car as I've been a Rover man for years (I used to work for them). Seems all that criticism about Brit cars is NO different to Japanese.

Luckily the car is under a seconhand warranty (the car was purchased in the M/Facturers 3 year warranty period) so they will foot 1K of the repair bill and the garage have dropped the cost now so I will pay only circa £230.

Another question that the more modern Technicians out there may be able to answer: They tell me the engine has to be removed to do the head gasket? - apparently a 13.3 hour job?? In all my many years as a Technician I've NEVER heard of a car needing the engine removed for such a repair. I'd like to hear some accurate reasoning behind that.

I was guided by the thought that this is a quality car that would give me many trouble free miles...I now regret not buying a Kia which I was considering also. I may sell this one and change to a Kia...7 year warranty sounds good to me.

Look forward to some feedback

Robin the Technician - I fix, therefore I am

Toyota Avensis 2008 2.2D Estate - Head Gasket failure - 659FBE

The problem with this car is that it's a diesel - and Japanese.

I have the greatest respect for Japanese engineering and would consider buying one of their cars, but for my present need for a (big) diesel. The Japanese have never put any serious development work into diesel engines (their fuel systems are nearly all made under licence from European sources) as they see their markets being mainly US centered, where fuel economy is not a significant consideration relative to first cost.

Regardless of supplier, every Japanese diesel engine I've looked at has had design details which do not match my requirements of proper design. I have so far reached the conclusion that the only suppliers of passenger car diesels are either German or French - although this position may well soon change given the steep learning curve which applies in the Far East.

So, I bought a 1.9 PD in a big fat saloon body (Skoda Superb 1) which does the job and has behaved exactly as I anticipated - engine perfect but anciliaries, odd electrical items, CV joint boots, honesty of information from the supplier - all deficient. I'd stil buy another though.

Toyota Avensis 2008 2.2D Estate - Head Gasket failure - yokel38

The AD engine is covered by 7 yr / 112000 mile warranty if the production date of your vehicle is between Apr 2005 to Oct 2008. Now the fact that a Toyota trained technician has never opened the bonnet may not be an issue, but you will have to provide evidence that the car has been serviced regulary and to the same standards to that of Toyota.

Toyota Avensis 2008 2.2D Estate - Head Gasket failure - Wirelessroamer

Hi yokel.

I just saw this post as I was looking for help.

I have an identical problem on my 2007 2.2 Estate. Registered 28/9/2007

VIN SB1EA56L80E077613

Engine No. 4415264481

Can you confirm wheter I qualify for extended Warranty support from Totota?

Toyota Avensis 2008 2.2D Estate - Head Gasket failure - galileo

Chatting with my trusted independent yesterday he said a customer had asked about a head gasket on a Nissan and the book time for that was 13 hours; neither of us could figure why so long, the book time to remove the engine from the same car is only 7 hours.

(We both spent our younger days working on things like BMC B series engined cars, Ford Zephyrs, Cortinas etc.)

Toyota Avensis 2008 2.2D Estate - Head Gasket failure - balleballe

Hmm, as far as I know they increased the warranty to 7 years/100k as it's a well known problem

That might just be lexus though

EDIT: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=93585

Edited by balleballe on 30/05/2012 at 23:02

Thanks for the responses.

According to Toyota Customer Service, my engine is not covered by ANY warranty. All I got was ' you were provided with a 3 year warranty and its well outside that'. I questioned the 'known problem' of Head gasket on this model and was told that mine does not fall within the VIN range- so it does not apply. THANKS!!!

I always understood that Jap cars were a cut above the rest. My less that one year ownership experience tells me I should have bought the Kia I looked at instead!!

This will be my last Japanese car, that's for sure.

Still at a loss as to why you need to take the engine out to take the head off??? In all my years of taking diesels apart, never heard of such a thing.

Keep your comments coming

13.3 hours is the time to replace the short engine.

Toyota Avensis 2008 2.2D Estate - Head Gasket failure - sandy56

There is some history of problems with the 2.2 engine. Toyota have been known to help out with this repair. I wouldnt give up so easily and try Toyota GB.

check the toyota forums.

I dont know about you but I would rather use a Toyota engine than a VW ( and I do use a Toyota diesel) see the horror stories on that "quality" manufacturer.

I dont know about you but I would rather use a Toyota engine than a VW ( and I do use a Toyota diesel) see the horror stories on that "quality" manufacturer.

Not so sure now... seems the Toyota engine has issues - whereas the VW (assuming its fitted in a Kia) would have a 7 year warranty. That I could live with whereas the Toyota has no warranty.

I have collected the car and paid £226 as my contribution towards the repair as the rest was picked up by the seconhand warranty supplied with the car. I asked the garage how the decision had been made tha Toyota would not contribute.... and was shown a scruffy piece of paper with 'out of warranty' perameters on it. I asked if they had spoken to Toyota direct as I'd requested - and admitted they hadn't and continued to blart on about the perameters document. What made me more angry was that they reported that on roadtest after the head gasket had been done it was noticed that the low oil level light was coming on. The oil level was checked and was ok. They said it needed further investigation Which they were going to charge me for!!!! I told them there was NO fault with it prior to me dropping it off and them removing the engine - therefore, they have caused the problem and need to fix it FOC. They refused..... I had to leave, otherwise I may have punched somebody. With this kind of service from a main Toyota dealer no wonder people are turning to Independents!!!

Disgruntled...you bet your life I am!!!

Toyota Avensis 2008 2.2D Estate - Head Gasket failure - thunderbird

VW engines are not fitted in Kias and never have been. There is the urban myth that some were fitted with Mercedes diesels but that comes from the fact that Ssangyoung used ancient Merc diesels.

Thanks for the clarification...after I'd written it I thought, hang on...why put a VW engine in a Kia??? I think I'm getting too old to worry about what fits what etc....

What is the reg no. or chassis no. of your car? I can tell you if it falls within th e parameters.

Toyota Avensis 2008 2.2D Estate - Head Gasket failure - gordonbennet

Was surprised that Toyota Burgh Heath were so abrupt with you as noted in your OP, it didn't sound like my conversations with them, i see now it was only handled by the dealer.

Reg: OU08WRA

Chassis: SB1EA56L20E085500

Eng: 4415325521

Look forward to your response.

Sadly your garage was correct, but only just, as almost unbeleivably your vehicle was produced in December 2007, and the modified units were fitted from November 2012.

oops, slight correction your production date is December 2007...duh....duh..

...and November 2007 was when mod units were fitted from, sry folks, up to my t!ts in it at mo.

Thanks for the detailed info. I would love to know the ACTUAL build - the date it came off the production line. Chances are it could have been sitting round in a compound for a while. Also, as an ex Rover engineer I know that engine build numbers don't correspond with the vin number - its virtually impossible to have sequential vin & engine numbers together. Either way, I will never buy another Toyota. My Son is looking to buy a new car but he's decided against a Toyota after how they treated me. We are going to look at some new Kia's this weekend and I'm going to look too..... 7 years warranty - a great selling point that has recently become a lot more tempting!!!

Robin the Technician - I fix, therefore I am.

Toyota Avensis 2008 2.2D Estate - Head Gasket failure - Vindy_andy

Any chance someone can tell me if mine would fall into the extended warranty I only have the reg no at the moment but its GV57 YFZ

Toyota Avensis 2008 2.2D Estate - Head Gasket failure - goldstar

along the track regarding Toyota main dealers, my local Motorline Ashford Kent refused to replace the cambelt of my 10yr old 60.000 mile Hiace because I had not purchased it from them! Toyota G.B sympathised with me but could do nothing to assist, beware should you purchase a Toyota vehicle of this practive by the franchisee's, Motorline are not alone other Toyota franchises operate the same practice

Toyota Avensis 2008 2.2D Estate - Head Gasket failure - madf

Let me see. If I were a garage, would I do work using a third party's parts which may be sub standard?

And then be sued for poor quality work.

Difficult to take more than a second to decide....

Toyota Avensis 2008 2.2D Estate - Head Gasket failure - jc2

I would expect most garages would not be prepared to fit owner supplied parts or if they did would write upon the receipt "no guarantee on owner supplied parts".

Toyota Avensis 2008 2.2D Estate - Head Gasket failure - gordonbennet

along the track regarding Toyota main dealers, my local Motorline Ashford Kent refused to replace the cambelt of my 10yr old 60.000 mile Hiace because I had not purchased it from them! Toyota G.B sympathised with me but could do nothing to assist, beware should you purchase a Toyota vehicle of this practive by the franchisee's, Motorline are not alone other Toyota franchises operate the same practice

Don't blame them, and Toyotas own cambelts are very reasonably priced.

I phoned around for prices for cambelt replacement on the Landcruiser, Toyota dealer beat the indies by a serious amount for supply and fit (plus a free courtesy car for the day), which pleased me no end, though its actually a non interference engine for double the peace of mind.

Toyota Avensis 2008 2.2D Estate - Head Gasket failure - VEC786

What is the reg no. or chassis no. of your car? I can tell you if it falls within th e parameters.

Hi yokel38, I am looking to buy a 2007+ avensis 2.0 diesel 1ad-ftv engine to use as a taxi.

is this a common fault on the 2.0 L too?

is there anything I can look out for ie around what mileage does the headgasket fault occur.

what are the tell tale signs?

I am coming from a belt driven 1cd-ftv..its been really good apart from the heavy clutch pedal

Toyota Avensis 2008 2.2D Estate - Head Gasket failure - madf

The 2.0L diesel is unaffected.

But headgasket signs are:

falling coolant level

rising oil level (water in oil)

Coolant leaks when engine is hot, hoses under pressure when engine is running.

White emulsion in coolant tank and/or on disptick.

White smoke on startup from exhaust - steam. (not to be confused with condensation on cold mornings)

Coolant coloured brown.

Signs of water leaks around engine hoses/water pump, or expansion filler cap.

Edited by madf on 01/04/2015 at 13:27

Toyota Avensis 2008 2.2D Estate - Head Gasket failure - VEC786

Thank you for the tell tale signs.

from the warranty bulletin the 2.0 1ad-ftv is mentioned too.

www.google.co.uk/search?q=ad%20engine%20toyota%20w...j

third one down.