WIN: A mega bundle of Christmas prizes - worth more than £1000! Click here to enter | No thanks
Toyota Avensis D4D 2.2 T Spirit - Head Gasket gone after losing coolant  
Toyota Avensis D4D 2.2 T Spirit - Head Gasket gone after losing coolant - robbie22

Hi,

I have a 2006 T Spirit with 90,000 on the clock and I have just found out from my garage that the head gasket has gone.

It started when the heating system kept throwing out cool air. I checked the coolant which was down and topped it back up. I took the car in for inspection thinking it might be a simple leak somewhere and was told it was the head gasket. Its now failed the first pressure test and is starting to look expensive...even the possibility of a new engine.

I've already seen quite a lot of nightmare stories exactly the same ranging from 2003 onwards, so obviously this is a common problem with this engine and apparently dealers report having to change 2-3 engines a year.

What should I do about this and am I right in thinking Toyota extended the warranty on heads to 100,000 miles?

If it needs a new engine, will Toyota bear the cost, I've heard about some 'Out of Warranty' repairs being done?

Thanks.

Tags: technical issues head gasket warranties engine cooling systems

Toyota Avensis D4D 2.2 T Spirit - Head Gasket gone after losing coolant - dervdave
Get

Edited by dervdave on 03/11/2011 at 16:47

Toyota Avensis D4D 2.2 T Spirit - Head Gasket gone after losing coolant - dervdave

What should I do about this and am I right in thinking Toyota extended the warranty on heads to 100,000 miles?

If it needs a new engine, will Toyota bear the cost, I've heard about some 'Out of Warranty' repairs being done?

Get yourself to the main dealer and ask, they will be well aware of the issues regarding the 2.2d

Toyota Avensis D4D 2.2 T Spirit - Head Gasket gone after losing coolant - gordonbennet

As dd says, and please keep us posted, we'll be most interested in the outcome, it would be useful if you could tell us it's service history and use to be going on with.

Toyota Avensis D4D 2.2 T Spirit - Head Gasket gone after losing coolant - Peter.N.

The loss of coolant and failure of the heater are typical symptoms of a failing head gasket. The pressure of the gasses leaking into the cooling system ejects the water via the filler cap or overflow pipe, it will also cause an airlock that stops the water circulating through the heater matrix.

Toyota Avensis D4D 2.2 T Spirit - Head Gasket gone after losing coolant - robbie22

As dd says, and please keep us posted, we'll be most interested in the outcome, it would be useful if you could tell us it's service history and use to be going on with.

Thanks guys for your advice. I work as a taxi driver based in Wells, Somerset. Since I satretd this thread I see that a couple of taxi drivers from Ireland on the Toyota Owners Club have had the same problem and all repaired by Toyota. Before I bought the vehicle in June 2010 it had 2 services with a Toyota dealer. Since then my local garage as done the servicing as they have on all my cars. My booked is properly stamped and up to date, so thinking this should be ok.

He is also very friendly with a guy at the Toyota dealer in Bath so getting him to phone them today. Will keep you posted.

Edited by robbie22 on 04/11/2011 at 05:36

Hi Everyone,

As promised, here is the outcome of my 2.2 dilemma.

So, my car is a 2006 Avensis 2.2 T Spirit with 91,000 on the clock. When my heater started playing up I had no idea it was a head gasket problem. I took my car to my local VAT registered garage who have serviced my car since I bought it in June 2010 with just 25,000 miles on the clock. When they found out the head gasket had blown they took off the cylinder head and sent it to be tested. It failed the test as it was 11mm out whereas I believe the tolerance is 3mm. I was told I could be looking at a new engine which would cost about £5,500 + VAT and fitting.

It was only by chance that I found out on the internet about Toyota's 7 year / 100,000 mile extended warranty for this head gasket problem. Unfortunately, my garage had already stripped the head. When they spoke to a local Toyota dealer in Bath they refused to replace the engine because they could not test it themselves. This despite the fact that the test and engineer's report was being done by the same company they used. I also pointed out that if Toyota were more transparent about the extended warranty I would have brought the car straight to them rather than my local garage.

I mean, why didn't they recall all these vehicles or at the very least write to all their customers with this 2.2 engine and advise them of the warranty should they experience of the problems with the head gasket. Nevertheless, they stood firm and refused to undertake the repair.

Luckily, I contacted the service manager of another Toyota dealer who was completely sympathetic to my situation and couldn't have been more helpful. My car was taken on a low loader to the dealer with the original head and all the other bits boxed up so they could return it to Toyota UK.

Result - I have had a replacement engine fitted by Toyota and not only that but they fitted a new clutch at my request which I paid for.

Provided I had my service book stamped at the recommended service intervals or close to those intervals they were happy to undertake the job. I picked the car up yesterday and it drives beautifully. Although, I have lost quite a lot of earnings over the last 4 weeks, I have my car back and am really impressed by the service I have received.

Toyota Avensis D4D 2.2 T Spirit - Head Gasket gone after losing coolant - gordonbennet

Wahay, result. Well done Toyota.

Thanks for the coming back with the update, an excellent conclusion indeed.

A standard of service, customer care and standing by a product that other dealers, makers (and car buyers) should learn.

Toyota Avensis D4D 2.2 T Spirit - Head Gasket gone after losing coolant - madf

Well done..

(You may understand my approval of Toyota)

Toyota Avensis D4D 2.2 T Spirit - Head Gasket gone after losing coolant - 659FBE

Well done, indeed.

Can anyone here imagine VAG doing this?

Although my present VAG vehicle has been trouble free (1.9 PD), I'm under no illusions as to how I would have been treated by them if I had had the misfortune to purchase a N-S 2.0 PD engine (oil pump drive failure), vehicle fitted with ESP (Teves Mk 60 fiasco) or a PD engine fitted with Siemens piezo injectors. Life's too short.

So, VAG, I am not aligned with your organisation as far as your trading practices are concerned. Toyota, you'll probably get my money next time.

Such is the power of the Internet.

Toyota Avensis D4D 2.2 T Spirit - Head Gasket gone after losing coolant - czar

I contacted the service manager of another Toyota dealer who was completely sympathetic..

Hi Robbie22

I have this same problem with my Avensis.Can you tell me please where had you fixed your Toyota.

Join the discussion

Buying Advice

Honest John's Newsletter

Connect with Honest John

Facebook YouTube