N/A - Close All Doors When Filling Up! - RaineMan
I stopped at a petrol station to fill up yesterday. As it was very hot I left my driver's door slightly ajar and my passenger did the same to try and get some breeze through the car- no A/C. However the pump would not zero and then a tannoy announced "No. 4 close your doors!". When I went to pay I queried this and was told it was a new H&S regulation. I then queried the value of this as the windows were still open and was met up a blank look. Is anybody familiar with this regulation?
N/A - Close All Doors When Filling Up! - Collos25

Never come across this as a safety reg maybe theyhave had a lot of thefts from cars.

Petrol fumes being heavier than air would sink to the floor and could get get into the car via an open door but I have never heard of this being a problem.

N/A - Close All Doors When Filling Up! - SlidingPillar

That's me stuffed then, vintage car has no doors to close.

N/A - Close All Doors When Filling Up! - NARU

That's me stuffed then, vintage car has no doors to close.

Surely that would be 'no doors to leave open'!

N/A - Close All Doors When Filling Up! - Flippster1

Science agreed, but it is just an aside - it's the company's rules that matter - if you are on their premises they could even dictate that you have have to wear a pink tie & sky-blue sandals to be served - then they can rule you out if not compliance on their premises (if posted clearly). Consequently they could just utterly refuse your custom & even your presence. Your compliance 'rights' are somewhat negligible when on someone else's property.

N/A - Close All Doors When Filling Up! - NARU

Nothing to do with H&S - except just the latest in a long line of things which they use H&S to justify. Lots of others here:

www.hse.gov.uk/press/record.htm

This will be them having a rule to prevent bilking!

N/A - Close All Doors When Filling Up! - bathtub tom

Probably more to do with blocking other cars.

If you've got doors open both sides, then you're as wide as two cars.

N/A - Close All Doors When Filling Up! - veryoldbear

Maybe they were just having a Larf ...

N/A - Close All Doors When Filling Up! - SlidingPillar

Marlot

Remark was made somewhat tongue in cheek. No doors to open is probably more true, but not as funny!

All sorts of daft things are erroneously blamed on H&S or similar.

Probably more to do with blocking other cars.

If you've got doors open both sides, then you're as wide as two cars.

The chances of this was nil as the pumps were on one side and a wide' grass verge on the other.

N/A - Close All Doors When Filling Up! - Andy P

Probably just someone who likes to feel they have some power over others...

Probably just someone who likes to feel they have some power over others...

I tend to agree as I have filled up twice since and left my door open to see if there was any reaction. There was not.

N/A - Close All Doors When Filling Up! - Sheepy-by-the-Sea

Did a quick google on this and found some drive-off prevention advice from cambridgeshire police given to petrol retailers. (Google "drive off prevention", it's the first result)

This points to a passenger door being left open as a sign of a potential drive-off, i.e.driver stays in the car, passenger fills up, then jumps back in through the open door.

I know in the OP's example the driver was the one at the pump so this shouldn't apply, but I can see a forecourt owner telling their staff not to authorise any pumps if doors are open just to be sure.

Health and Safety? I doubt it!

N/A - Close All Doors When Filling Up! - Armitage Shanks {p}

If a garage has ANPR cameras I can't quite see what the state of the doors has got to do with anything. Hookey number plates are more likely to be a problem than open doors

N/A - Close All Doors When Filling Up! - jamie745

Its amazing how they can boss you around yet still receive many hundreds of your hard earned for their overpriced liquid gold.

Cant use your phone, must keep doors shut and you've got to pump it yourself.

Somethings wrong.

N/A - Close All Doors When Filling Up! - injection doc

1 its slows down a Bilking attempt

2 Rule is lights off whilst filling, if a door is open the interior light is on and risk of spark from the door light switch if the door wavers

I have no idea why we dont adopt the european method of paying for fuel before you fill up or have 24/7 unmanned pumps with credit card system. we have one local to us and its great as there is never some dork parked on a pump doing a weeks shopping in the forcourt shop ! brilliant pay and go pumps.

Paying advance makes it tricky to get "Brimmed" fill up.

N/A - Close All Doors When Filling Up! - Bromptonaut

Paying advance makes it tricky to get "Brimmed" fill up.

How? If I use pay at pump I'm pre-authorised for up to £100. In event I brim at £85.96 and that's what I'm charged. Same in France except max is in Euro.

N/A - Close All Doors When Filling Up! - Chris M

Certainly our local Asda, Morrisons and Tesco have 'pay @ pump'. Seems Shell, Esso and the other oil companies want to entice you into the shop so that you can avail yourself of their overpriced, distress purchase offers.

N/A - Close All Doors When Filling Up! - injection doc

"Paying advance makes it tricky to get "Brimmed" fill up."

not really just pay more than you need and go back and get a credit, works okay abroad.

I wasn't aware of that! I thought you paid €40 and if you what you didn't use it you lost.

N/A - Close All Doors When Filling Up! - sandy56

N/A - Close All Doors When Filling Up!

what happens if you have a convertible-???

or as somebody siad your windows are open..

b***** stupid idea.

are we becoming more stupid? - sometimes I do think so.

maybe its time for an evolutionary change and mankind is due to be eliminated for something smarter.

N/A - Close All Doors When Filling Up! - Hamsafar

The exact same thing happened to me a couple of years ago at a TEXACO/COOP station. I hung up the pump in disgust and went to another station.

I also somethimes fill up 20litre drums with diesel and some (supermarket) stations have a hoohaah about that and I just say it's diesel, not petrol!

I think supermarket stations are the worst.

N/A - Close All Doors When Filling Up! - barney100

What happens when you fill a cabriolet with the roof down?

N/A - Close All Doors When Filling Up! - 72 dudes

What happens when you fill a cabriolet with the roof down?

The interior gets soaked.