Which smart phone? - Happy Blue!

Currently a Blackberry user, principally for the very good e-mail app. The only other apps I use with anything approaching regularity are Google maps and internet browser but even then probably less than once a week.

With RIM possibly going down the tubes and a need at some point in the future to replace my 9700, what are my alternatives? I know the default is the iPhone, but the poor battery life and general aversion to Apple products puts me off. They just seem to make life unnecessarily complicated. Can't decide if I like touch screen phones; everyone in my family who had one, has gone back to button phones.

There are HTCs in the office and I saw the new Nokia yesterday which looked fairly simple. Anyone got any recommendations for a light, long life phone that has just enough but not too many apps to keep me happy?

Which smart phone? - Avant

I have a firm's Blackberry and my own iPhonbe and feel much the same as you. My son has a Samsung Galaxy which seems to give much quicker Internet access - both of us are with Vodafone.

Anyone out there with experience of a Samsung? The Galaxy Note seems interesting - bigger and apparently more powerful than the standard Galaxy but wil still fit in a jacket pocket or handbag.

Which smart phone? - Bobbin Threadbare

I have just swapped my Samsung Galaxy S in for a HTC One S. Husband has the HTC One X which is basically a larger version. Very very fast, intuitive operating system on the Samsung and very nice to type on. Slow to connect to WiFi or web though.

The Samsung has an AMOLED screen which is really lovely to look at - fantastic colours and nice lighting.

The HTC is a quad core so it is very quick and it's set up for proper smartphone usage. It was an absolute doddle to set up emails and such on it. I really like it and it is better than my iPod for sound quality.

I was tempted by the Galaxy SII but the HTC is faster again. To be honest, they do pretty much the same stuff and I certainly enjoyed having the Samsung. The Note is an iPad rival, and it's really good.

Which smart phone? - TeeCee

I'm looking into this at the moment. Apart from price and features, when it comes to Android devices there is another very important factor, O/S version.

Now, many of these things either never get an update, get one very late or die off after a couple of updates.

For this reason I am leaning towards a Sony Ericsson device as some of their recent offerings are available for very reasonable money and all of them have either an ICS version coming or already available. That puts 'em in a class of their own in my book.

Oh and they have the best cameras too.

Which smart phone? - Bobbin Threadbare

Android do updates! You can also download them yourself, and you are free to manipulate the OS to your heart's content. Unlike a certain fruit-based company's products.....

Which smart phone? - concrete

Hello All, I am by no means a technocrat. But when my old Nokia packed in a few months ago I had the chance to try a few devices borrowed from learned colleagues. The Blackberry Curve was fine, although setting up company server based e mail was difficult. Then I tried the Nokia E5. Very good indeed. Simple and efficient and it shaded the Blackberry for me. I received a new one from my company and paired it to the bluetooth in my car for hands free. I can now receive the usual calls, texts and e mails via the mobile network or any handy wi-fi. If I can do this, it must be simple. Try the Nokia E5. Cheers Concrete.

Which smart phone? - TeeCee

All well and good, but the aftermarket updates (e.g. cyanogenmod) don't address everything and are very much "at your own risk".

Each phone requires the Android O/S with its own hardware drivers bundled in. The latter will often have to be reworked to accomodate API changes in the O/S. You can't just bung an update intended for device A onto device B.

You (or rather I) could probably "roll your own" from the source distribution, but life's too short. Better to go with a manufacturer with a proven track record in offering updates in a timely manner.

Most annoying is those OEMs who insist on customising the O/S extensively and then refuse to offer updates for older devices on the grounds it's too much work to rework their changes for something no longer generating sales revenue. LG and Motorola spring to mind in this category. HTC would appear to be somewhat better, at least in Android, but they have a long and chequered history of ducking O/S updates for other platforms so I don't trust 'em.

Which smart phone? - sandy56

WHy not just have a phone to use as a phone.

and also have a netbook/ tablet.

Much better writing emails on a netbook than a b***** tiny phone keyboard.

Which smart phone? - t j auto electrics coventry
Why not just go with the default and plump for an iPhone , they are popular, well regarded, and sought after for a very good reason, cos they are really good, easy to use and battery life isn't all that bad.... Go on treat yourself
Which smart phone? - Alanovich

Nokia Lumia is excellent (there are 2 in my family now). And it runs on the Windows platform, which makes things quite familiar. High quality hardware, familiar operating system with good features, can't beat it. Impressive battery life if you're not on the internet permanently.

I have no idea why anyone bothers getting all dewy eyed over Apple products. There are better value, better built products out there for the non-fashion victims amongst us.