Mazda 2 - A car that is rarely seen - KenC

I am thinking of buying a newish Mazda 2, the reviews that I have seen are generally

positive (including this site ) When driving around I always keep a look out for a Mazda 2

so I can ask the owner what they think of the car ..............but I hardly ever see one !

Is this a bad sign ? why are there so few of them about ?

Sensible replies please :-)

Mazda 2 - A car that is rarely seen - Bobbin Threadbare

I see loads of them! But then there's a Mazda dealership near where I live. You have to buy one, and then you'll see loads of them. That always happens to me anyway!

Mazda 2 - A car that is rarely seen - Leif

I see them from time to time. Nice looking, and being Mazda you might think they are reliable.

Mazda 2 - A car that is rarely seen - Vos

I had one until last year - Mazda 2 Sport. It was a very nippy little car. Very reliable, not a minutes trouble. There are loads of them around here because close to main dealer as well. You won't go wrong if you buy one.

Mazda 2 - A car that is rarely seen - Auristocrat

We've just swopped one of the last generation Mazda 2's. We looked at the latest version - the TS2 is poorly equipped on the safety front (just twin front airbags). The Tamura is better - side and curtain airbags - but comes with the 16 inch alloys/45 profile tyres (which is what we had on our 2 Capella). Gives a hard ride, which may not be to everyones tastes. Reliability-wise they're fine.

We went for a pre-facelift Hyundai i20 Comfort - six airbags plus active headrests, ESP, better equipped than the Tamura, bigger boot, more comfortable ride, 5 years warranty/RAC membership. Not as good on the handling front - but absolutely fine for a second car.

Mazda 2 - A car that is rarely seen - bazza

AC, did you look at any others eg Yaris, Fiesta, or Swift? I hear in particular the Yaris isn't as good to drive, while the Mazda 2 and Swift are excellent drivers cars.Just wondering .

The one pre-requisite was for a car with a reasonably wide hatch opening at bumper level, as my partner has to carry a folding therapy table at times. The first generation Mazda 2 we had was brilliant for this - very square tailgate, very low sill height and flat floor with the seats folded.

The Fiesta and current Mazda 2, although very good drivers cars, had issues for us with the hatch opening - with the Mazda we would have had to lift the table almost to parcel shelf height to slot the table into the boot (with similar problems getting the table out). I also don't rate the warranty on Fords.

The Suzuki Splash would have been better for us than the Swift, due to the flat floor when the rear seats are folded, but both suffer from relatively poor boot space with the rear seats upright - both around 178 litres (our Mazda had 268 litres).

We looked at the Yaris (our main car is a 59 Auris), but felt it was too expensive - list price £12,700 for the 1.0 litre TR (which is the lowest trim level with air con), and there are limited discounts available.. Could have got another new Auris for £1,000 less.

The cheapest Honda Jazz with air con was over £13,000.

Did look briefly at the Skoda Fabia 1.4 MPI SE and the Ibiza, but again the warranty is the weak point with VAG. Discounted the Polo/Fabia/Ibiza after our next door neighbour had to have a new engine in his 59 reg Polo 1.2 - needed a new cylinder head after 15,000 miles (under warranty), which the dealer said is a common problem with the 3 cylinder engines. In the end he had a complete new engine after the dealer stripped one of the threads in the block whilst replacing the cylinder head.

Have driven the Corsa as hire cars - never liked these. Not struck on Peugeot 207 or Citroen C3.

The Nissan Note - poor safety kit on the Visia, no seat height adjust, manual mirrors, and seats don't fold flat. Nissan Micra Visia - no split rear seat, and dubious interior build quality.

Test drove the Hyundai i20 and the Kia Rio. Was aware of the mild i20 facelift due 7th May. The 1.25 Rio we drove had an obstructive gearchange and poor rear visibility. With the i20, you wouldn't have known it was the same engine/gearbox as the Rio - light positive gearchange.

Both of us preferred the i20. Bigger boot than our Mazda (295 litres) with a flat'ish floor, and good rear visibility. Good equipment levels - six airbags, electric/heated/folding mirrors, air con, bluetooth, iPod and aux/usb connection, etc.

So we went for the i20 Comfort 5 door - £10,700 otr including extras (rear parking sensors, body mouldings, mats, mudflaps, etc).

Mazda 2 - A car that is rarely seen - RoadRager

Well a friend of mine just bought a Mazda 2 and loves it. I have a Mazda 3 4door sport and never see them on the road. In fact, its quite an event if I do see one. Anyone I know who has had a Mazda has had nothing but positive things to say about them, but i get the impression the brand is not considered "cool".

Mazda 2 - A car that is rarely seen - MikeTorque

Very jiggly & firm ride, so much so you can become travel sick even when driving a Mazda 2. Go for a long test drive and don't buy unless you think you can live the firm & jiggly ride. Mazda showrooms have lots of used cars as a result of people getting fed up with the horrible ride.

Mazda 2 - A car that is rarely seen - balleballe

Up North I see a lot more Mazda's compared to down south - including mazda 2's

Mazda's are not 'cool' though because they are not 'prestigious'. It's the same with most brands

Mazda 2 - A car that is rarely seen - gordonbennet

The only comment i have is from my family's experience do not for one minute imagine Mazda to have the sort of customer care you might be expecting from a Japanese maker should something go wrong.

Other than that the times i've driven them they seemed nice enough, better all round vision and nicer to drive than some of the current more fashionable models.

Mazda 2 - A car that is rarely seen - davecooper

Firstly, just to clear up the airbag issue. The TS2 has front, side and curtain airbags as standard.

I am on my second Mazda 2 and one of the main reasons for choosing them is their relative rarity compared to the obvious competition. The other was the looks. Yes, the ride can be a bit harsh, better on the facelift. However, I do a lot of miles in mine and don't find it a major problem and for me it is a comfortable car to drive. I quite like a stiff ride anyway so its a personal thing I suppose. I have a 1.3 Takuya which is pretty well equipped and averages around 50mpg in mixed driving. You have to do a bit more gear twiddling than on a bigger engined car but if you want more performance, you buy something else.

The dealers have been extremely good and I have absolutely no complaints there. Its not a product of our German friends which maybe a drawback for some but is a bonus for me. If you want something a bit more chic and individualistic than the usual offerings, have a look at the 2. As Which magazine said, the 2 is a well kept secret.

Sorry I meant the TS Air Con. The TS2 is only available in auto - the manual effectively being replaced by the Tamura.
Mazda 2 - A car that is rarely seen - Leif

You don't say what you are looking for in a car, but you might want to look at the VW Up. Almost as much boot space, decent front and back space, 60mpg, low road tax, good handling and ride. As it is new there will no no feedback on problems though.

The VW Up! is nearly silent when running, which is a bit weird. I have to say, having tested one, that I felt a bit squashed (and yes I did adjust eveything to suit), so I can't imagine what anyone larger than me would think of it.

Mazda 2 - A car that is rarely seen - simonkit

coincidentally we've just picked up our 60plate Mazda 2 sport today and already think it's brilliant, we previously owned a Suzuki Swift Sport & main car is a MK5 Golf GTI.

Having driven pretty much most of the competitors...Clio,Polo, Fiesta, Corsa, Ibiza, 207...what I'd say is that the Mazda is what I'd call a "drivers car". It does have slightly firmer suspension than the rest, although nothing compared to the Swift sport, but for us at least the benefits of this are more than worthwhile...handling, driver involvement and ultimately the "fun factor" far surpasses the competitors which to us just feel a little numb in comparison.

It is very much about what you like from your car - the Mazda is one of the very few available now which still has the "fun factor".

Simon

Glad you like it Simon. I think the 'fun factor' is the point of the Mazda 2 - I think I've managed to persuade my mum that it'd be an excellent upgrade from a Toytoa Aygo.