MG ZS - Juddering while underway - Moddy

My car has suddenly started struggling for fuel ( I believe) when on the road, the symptons are like having kangaroom petrol. If i drop a gear and rev the engine it appears to clear it for a short time before starting again, the fuel filter has just been changed and it was ok for about 8 miles before it started again.When going along the road, if I put the peddle down it struggles to pick up speed and wont increase at all. If i stop at a round about or a road end awaiting a clear spot I have to choose very well as my start off is laboured and slow as it struggles to get up to speed. I cant think of what might be causing it, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

MG ZS - Juddering while underway - Peter D

Sounds like a MAF sensor fault. Have the diagnostic error system read for codes. Regards Peter

MG ZS - Juddering while underway - unthrottled

Try disconnecting the MAF so the engine defaults to speed density fuelling. If the problem is duff readings from the MAF, then the juddering should be greatly reduced.

Many thanks for helping on this, the only Maf picture that I can find is for a Diesel, is there a Maf sensor on the 1.8 petrol.and if so can you give an appx position of it.

rgds

I don't know exactly, but it is usually just upstream of the throttle plate.

If there was a problem with the MAF sensor would there be an indication on the dashboard. I dont have any lights up.

rgds

Probably would be on a post 2000 car.

Is the juddering load sensitive? (looking at your description, it looks like it is only at lowish engine speeds and acceleration, in which case coil packs would be suspect.

MAF sees only airflow and cannot discern manifold pressure. If dropping a gear gets rid of the problem, it isn't MAF related.

I dont believe that its load related, it happens on low gears, but there is also instances where I have been in 5th gear and the car is sluggish and doesnt accelerate, even with the pedal to the metal its sticks at 50, falling if going up a hill. When i start off from a roundabout the car is slow to respond, I get notification of it happening when driving along and you can feel the car sort of pulling.

Its got me stumped !

MG ZS - Juddering while underway - sb10

Sounds like coil packs to me,I also have the same problem but if I rev before moving off it doesnt happen,so its time I replaced mine

MG ZS - Juddering while underway - balleballe

I had the same problem - especially changing from 1st to 2nd. I thought it may be something to do with my clutch (never driven a manual before this car)

I used a can of BG44k, for a general 'clearout' - it sorted the problem completely. I dont know how; but it did. So I can only assume it was something to do with carbon build up.

Try a can - kwik-fit sell them for £20. You can buy slightly cheaper online (cheapest i've seen is around £16)

Well the saga todate. The car is back from the garage, it cost a £120, the work was to replace two sets of coils and leads and the result is still the same. I noticed it occurred shortly after picking it up, with a little fuel I filled up and headed to the nearest car shop for gunk cleaning (Costing £16) in the hope that it might be an injector clogging up. No its still happened, I visited two local garages and they were stumped too, one offered to do some checks but it would be on monday. I need the car over weekend so will have to struggle with it until I can get it in the garage. My local got me into another one to check the engine readings, gases etc and it flew it with a full pass. The operator there suggested cleaning two of the engine manifold sensors, they were taken off and cleaned with cleaning fluid before being put back on. I drove off in hope, it appeared to be ok but after about 3 or 4 miles it reared its ugle head again. A suggestion of soapy water sprayed on the plastic engine manifold area to check to see if there were any cracks has also proved negative, the engineer at one garage confirmed it wasnt mis-firing.....So hence the problem is ongoing and Im looking for a sharp knife to cut my wrists lol........Any suggestions to resolve the problem please post no suggestions on ways to slit my wrists are needed !!!

Arrgh! There's nothing worse than a problem that 'solves' itself at the most inopportune moment-at the garage!

I still think you have a misfire problem. If the emissions are ok, then your lambda and MAF must be ok.

Coil packs and HT leads are also fine.

I would try reseating the crank sensor and cleaning the connection. Check the wiring harness from the ECU too.

I had a similar problem that was a swine to solve. The engine would peridically judder, cut out then run normally. Tried almost everything. Finally pulled the wiring harness off the ECU. Bingo! Ingess of water was intermittently shorting the power supply to the ECU. I'm not saying that this is the case for you, but that's where I'd start looking.

Thanks, going to have to check out where the crank sensor is, also the ECU wiring harness. Im not an engineer by work, my work is more maritime lol....Looks like I might have to 'Google' it for a picture of the engine layout so that I can see where they are situated.

Thank for help

Trace back the wiring from the coils. They will be triggered via the ECU.

Out of curiosity, when the car judders does your rev counter start fluttering?

When I was fault finding my juddering problem, I scrounged some bad coil packs from a local garage. Under full throttle, the engine misfired horribly, but the rev counter stayed steady.

When the juddering started with the good coil packs, the rev counter flopped down to zero. This is because the short circuit shut off the ECU which then couldn't trigger the injectors, the spark plugs, or the rev counter. In hindsight the symptoms were obvious and unambiguous, but initially I started replacing sensors and coil packs-to no avail!

There is nothing on the rev counter to say that anything appears wrong, It does start its tricks about the 2500 mark on the rev counter.

I have my drive to the station tomorrow morning and will keep a sharp lookout on the dials to confirm what happens to them during a shuddering period.....

thanks again

Well I set off to work this morning, a bit worried over what might lie ahead......The first 5 miles went ok before the famous labouring started, changing down a couple of gears and then moving up again allowed me to over come the drop in speed/power. I looked at the rev counter throughout the whole period when it was happening and the counter remainded steady without any reduction. The problem remained for another 5 or 6 miles before stopping and the remaining travel to work was uneventful. So I am now at work and thinking about what problems I might have on the way back, hopefully none. I am now wondering if the problem has been cleared through the distance run by the gunk I put in yesterday, in 10 hrs I will find out.

MG ZS - Juddering while underway - bathtub tom

You say: The first 5 miles went ok before the famous labouring started

Could it be a coolant leak spraying over the electrics, or something connected to the engine reaching a certain temperature?

MG ZS - Juddering while underway - sb10

Let me know if you solve it,I have a 25 1.4.. ie K series, I replaced the coilpacks thinking that was the cause,looks like I was wrong,so got to have a rethink on possible causes though almost exhausted everything that normally causes it and as usual diagnostics comes up as nothing wrong

MG ZS - Juddering while underway - balleballe

I doubt it to be honest. Most fuel additives are pretty useless as far as things are concerned. There are two highly regarded ones; forte and BG44k.

BG44k will be in another league to anything you are likely to be able to buy from halfords

The cleaning agent I got was Forte, it didnt work lol....As explained to me tonight if it had been problem with the injectors then it would not have been labouring or intermittant fault but a constant one.

I dont believe it is a temperature one, the temp remains constant throughout and there is no evidence of leakage from any area. One the way back tonight it was fine for the first 12 miles, when I started reducing power to 30 or 40 mps it began. However you still get the problem at 50 or 60 sometimes

I put the problem to my friendly neighbour who works with tractors and other types of engines to see if he had any idea of what might be causing it, he said that he would have followed the pattern I had however he was going to talk to a friend in the garage next door to him to is a 'world of information' and see if he has any idea.

He did seem to think that it was a fuel problem though, asking if there was more than one filter on the car. My understanding was that there was only one, situated in the engine compartment area.

There is another sensor on the carberattor area, so tomorrow I will take it off and clean it up to see if that resolves the matter, its directly opposite the mechanism sorry I dont know which one it is, but its different from the other two lol....

The saga continues !!!

MG ZS - Juddering while underway - TeeCee

Swirl pot detached in fuel tank giving intermittantly poor fuel pickup?

Well took the car to another local garage and they performed a full diagnostic check on the car to try and locate the source of the problem. I got a call from them later advising me that they had located one fault which might or might not be the full cause and it needs to be sorted to confirm. The item was a lambda sensor on the front of the engine manifold. It was situated midway on the engine casing. They replaced it, performed another check and it sailed through. So now the car is purring again, the gas checks were very good and stated so by the garage. It turns out that the sensor regulates the amount of oxygen to the system and was giving false readings which caused it to struggle. I will take a photo of it tomorrow and hopefully it will solve someone elses problems. Many thanks to all those members who supplied suggestions as to the cause.

My local got me into another one to check the engine readings, gases etc and it flew it with a full pass.

You see with a duff lambda sensor, it shouldn't have managed to pass tthe emissions test. That's why I didn'tthink of it!

Glad the problem is sorted though.