Ford Mondeo 2.0 Diesel 2005 55000 miles - Glow Plug Light Flashing/Engine Cutting out - deltronic

This is a word of warning for those people thinking of buying a used Mondeo 2.0 diesel TDCI.

Take it for a long test drive, at least 45mins. Ensure that once its properly warmed up - take it down the motorway or similar and drive at a constant 70+ mph for at least 10 mins. If the orange glow plug light comes on (looks like a coiled spring) then DON'T buy it. It will probably cut out in any case but will re-start when you stop. It may also go into limp home mode and the engine management light will come on.

The issue will be in most cases the Diesel Injector Fuel Pump - cost to replace - about £1100! Don't listen to anyone about water in the fuel, camshaft sensors, crankshaft sensors, even injectors. These are all red herrings. There is a known problem with the internal workings of the fuel pump that fail and send swarf through the system. Very costly to repair/replace.

I was lucky that the Used Car Dealer gave me a full refund. You may not be so lucky!

Edited by deltronic on 01/03/2012 at 22:47

Top Reply

Ford Mondeo 2.0 Diesel 2005 55000 miles - Glow Plug Light Flashing/Engine Cutting out - dunkab

TDCI with new HT leads ?

Must be a dream being your mechanic

Scary

All Replies

Ford Mondeo 2.0 Diesel 2005 55000 miles - Glow Plug Light Flashing/Engine Cutting out - daveyjp
But it could also be a blocked EGR valve which costs about £150 and some cleaner for the intake manifold. Or a split EGR pipe, a few quid.

Edited by daveyjp on 02/03/2012 at 15:22

Ford Mondeo 2.0 Diesel 2005 55000 miles - Glow Plug Light Flashing/Engine Cutting out - deltronic
But it could also be a blocked EGR valve which costs about £150 and some cleaner for the intake manifold. Or a split EGR pipe, a few quid.

Sorry, but I must disagree. both these items do not give the same symptoms. There are a lot of posts on this site that lead you down a blind alley - and cost money. My post is trying to protect comsumers who experience this problem before they buy the car. The key being to test it thoroughly - something I did not do!

Ford Mondeo 2.0 Diesel 2005 55000 miles - Glow Plug Light Flashing/Engine Cutting out - Collos25

Sorry, but I must disagree. both these items do not give the same symptoms. There are a lot of posts on this site that lead you down a blind alley - and cost money. My post is trying to protect comsumers who experience this problem before they buy the car. The key being to test it thoroughly - something I did not do!

Rubbish the most common fault by far with these symptoms is a dirty EGR or at worst a turbo actuator.No the posts do not lead you down a blind alley have repaired plentyof egr valves but never ever a pump sounds like you have been taken for ride.Also a common fault when a car has been stood on a forecourt a while easily curedwith a bottle of trade only Fortes.

Edited by Collos25 on 02/03/2012 at 20:30

Ford Mondeo 2.0 Diesel 2005 55000 miles - Glow Plug Light Flashing/Engine Cutting out - Simplepeet

Rubbish the most common fault by far with these symptoms is a dirty EGR or at worst a turbo actuator.No the posts do not lead you down a blind alley have repaired plentyof egr valves but never ever a pump sounds like you have been taken for ride.Also a common fault when a car has been stood on a forecourt a while easily curedwith a bottle of trade only Fortes.

Hi, I have an 05 diesel jaguar X-Type and have suffered from the glow plug light flashing and car going into limp mode. The car also cuts out, when I press the clutch in but not often. I had it into a garage and they renewed the fuel pump costing me £1.000. The car seemed to be ok when it came out for a short while. I had mentioned the possibility of the Actuator fault and the mechanic said he had given it a bit of a clean. Now the fault has returned it does exactly the same, flashing, limp mode, cutting out. It has taken about two months for the problem to read occur. I am disabled and only drive about three miles per day, but I do take it for the odd long blast to keep it good. Does this sound like the EGR and or Actuator problem. Thanks Peter

Ford Mondeo 2.0 Diesel 2005 55000 miles - Glow Plug Light Flashing/Engine Cutting out - daveyjp
Your symptons are exactly what I had on my X type, glow plug light flashing, limp home mode, ran OK after being restarted. ECU error codes lead technician to the problem in less than 5 minutes. A £150 EGR valve and it was fixed.
Ford Mondeo 2.0 Diesel 2005 55000 miles - Glow Plug Light Flashing/Engine Cutting out - AMG MAN

Im afraid the author is talking absolute cods wallop . The glow plug flashes and engine cuts out because the ECU is sending the signals to the FIP (fuel injection pump) to stop sending fuel into the engine . The causes how many do you need anything with a pulse signal that is irratic or none exsistent like a broken or defective sensor will (Fords way of not doing any damage to the expensive bits of the motor) electrical signals not going in ecu knows something is wrong so cuts fuel off later models go into limp home mode pending the fault .Yes a faulty fip or injectors will do the same trick the faster you go the harder the injectors are working the lower the pressure in the fuel rail engine stops. Crank sensors signal goes to the ecu cuts fuel off glow plug comes on and engine dies . Camshaft sensors same , EGR valve low pressure usually a build up of carbon deposits does these ..Morale of the story is plug in a diagnostic tool get the fault codes and the ecu will tell you whats wrong simple as ..Yes some garages get it wrong but don't every proffession usually the quality of the diagnostic tool is to blame . Call the AA out they will do a diagnostics for you at the side of the road of needs be fix yourself or pay a man with overalls and a box of spanners to do it all in all the mondeo is a good old work horse all in all there are not too many expensive repairs on them . Dont let peole scare you by posting horror stories on the internet far too many scare mongers about talking out there botty bum bums most the time ..

Ford Mondeo 2.0 Diesel 2005 55000 miles - Glow Plug Light Flashing/Engine Cutting out - ST Driver

Apart from the fact that my 2.2 Mondeo is on its 4th EGR valve in 100k miles. Ford charge over £250 a pop not including labour which brings the bill up to over £300. Jag charge a little over £100 for the same part and its a 10 minutes job to do.

Ford Mondeo 2.0 Diesel 2005 55000 miles - Glow Plug Light Flashing/Engine Cutting out - scissors40
Agreed, mine started doing a jig up the road and cut out while driving, started up again straight away, called mechanic he fitted new ht leads (sparks were not needed as that's the first thing I tend to do when I notice a little judder just to rule it out!) and new EGR fitted, engine light now off and car drives like a dream, also got egr and ht leads for £62 mechanic turned eml off and fitted both for £45 so all in for £107, happy with my Monty now :)
Ford Mondeo 2.0 Diesel 2005 55000 miles - Glow Plug Light Flashing/Engine Cutting out - dunkab

TDCI with new HT leads ?

Must be a dream being your mechanic

Scary