Hyundai Santa Fe - Pulling left and right ! - dieselweasel

Hello all..I bought a Sanat Fe new in Dec 2010, and from the off it pulled to the left. It had a four wheel alignment carried out, which detected a very minor problem (not enough to account for the pull), so I've lived with it,

At first service, I mentioned it to the dealer, and they swapped front and rear tyres round. Now the constant left pull has gone, and if driving at constant speed, the cars tracks straight and true.

But if accelerating, after a couple of seconds you can feel the car pull to the right - not strongly, but its there - and if decelerating, it pulls to the left after a coupl of seconds.

Of course, the deaer has test driven it an finds nothing wrong. The effects are worse in lower gears, when more torque is being put down.

There arent any soigns of abnormal tyre wear, and I've not hit any big holes in it. Has anyone any ideas about what is goping on ?

Hyundai Santa Fe - Pulling left and right ! - jc2

Worn N/S track rod end.

Hyundai Santa Fe - Pulling left and right ! - dieselweasel

Interesting - and thamks. Could you "show your working" please, and explain how/why it is the N/S one. I'll need all the ammo I can get to get the dealer to do something.

BTW, the car has only done 10300 miles, I suspect something was wonky from the off.

Hyundai Santa Fe - Pulling left and right ! - Peter.N.

I would suggest worn suspension bushes on one side allowing the suspension to move when torque is applied, probably on the opposide side to which it pulls when you accelerate as the wheel will move forward. If you lever the suspension fore and aft with a crow bar you should be able to see it move.

Hyundai Santa Fe - Pulling left and right ! - RT

I would suggest worn suspension bushes on one side allowing the suspension to move when torque is applied, probably on the opposide side to which it pulls when you accelerate as the wheel will move forward. If you lever the suspension fore and aft with a crow bar you should be able to see it move.

Why would suspension bushes be worn on a brand new car - the OP posted "from the off it pulled to the left".

Edited by RT on 02/02/2012 at 17:40

Hyundai Santa Fe - Pulling left and right ! - gordonbennet

This effect of going from under power to overrun producing a sideways effect does sound like something allowing shift in the tracking, unlikely though that is.

You could try a simple check which shows any wear problems quickly, simply park the car and taking each wheel in turn try to move the car by firmly rolling each stationary wheel forwards and back, any play or wear in the suspension will show itself by the wheel that is at the problem end moving considerably more than the others inside the wheelarch, then investigate further if you find extra movement.

Interesting that swapping the tyres improved on the constant left side pull though, i would have thought it was still on original tyres, has the OP checked that the tyres are indeed the usual make and model fitted to other Santa Fe's, and are any of the tyres showing unusual wear.