Any - Why buy a car with built-in sat-nav ? - RT

On different forums, I hear more and more complaints from drivers who've paid extra to buy cars with built-in sat-navs but they have such poor facilities compared to even the cheapest after-market sat-navs. Inability to accept full 7 character UK postcodes, out of date mapping and compromise with the other infotainment features seem to be the most often voiced complaints.

I can understand the security and neatness aspect of a built-in sat-nav but paying a typical £1,000 for a unit that's markedly inferior to a £100 after-market unit just seems crazy to me. In many cases, the cost of new maps is way more than replacement cost of an up-to-date aftermarket unit.

It just goes to show that you can sell anything !!

Edited by RT on 25/01/2012 at 09:48

Any - Why buy a car with built-in sat-nav ? - veryoldbear

I prefer the folding non-electronic navigation system £4.99 from all good outlets ...

Any - Why buy a car with built-in sat-nav ? - barney100
Just buy an android phone, sat nav better than old Tom Tom or Garmin I had.
Any - Why buy a car with built-in sat-nav ? - Trilogy

And I understand manufacturer fit systems are virtually impossible to repair.

Any - Why buy a car with built-in sat-nav ? - unthrottled

This has amused me too. Of course, even the cheapest smart phone has rendered these built-in carbuncles redundant, just as earlier mobiles rendered the built-in car phone redundant.

Now the owner is stuck with a useless, and chintzy LCD screen where the HVAC controls should be.

Magpie syndrome will always drive some people to fill their cabins with clutter in the pursuit of luxury. But the best cabins are simple and uncluttered; not having what you don't need is just as important as having what you want.

Any - Why buy a car with built-in sat-nav ? - daveyjp

RT - it's like a lot of things in life - if you have never had it you don't miss it. My X type had it in built as standard and I found it a very good system. I don't miss it that much now the car has gone, but the biggest bonus for me was it was always with me and no setting up required - turn car on and it's working.

Most of my trips are within a 20-30 mile radius of home and I go to the same places often so no need for a satnav. Due to this the £90 Garmin I bought when I swapped my car spends more time on the bookshelf than it does in the car. Where having it available all the time comes into its own is when you are aware of a hold up and need to find an alternative route. Turn satnav on and use it. In car systems also have much larger screens so you can get more streets on the map, very handy when "rat running" to avoid queues.

In car systems also don't stop working when they lose satelite reception - handy in built up areas.

That said, if it wasn't standard I wouldn't tick the option box!

Any - Why buy a car with built-in sat-nav ? - Ethan Edwards

Your arguments hold water but for the fact that a built in unit does more than one thing.

It's a Radio, a CD player, a DVD player, an Ipod controller, a Bluetooth phone hands free kit and has superior sound quality. also has bigger than a 6 inch screen which is more than most hand helds They also accepts poi warnings for the greed speed scamera's.

Less clutter on the dash. Thats why I've gone built in.

Your arguments hold water but for the fact that a built in unit does more than one thing.

It's a Radio, a CD player, a DVD player, an Ipod controller, a Bluetooth phone hands free kit and has superior sound quality. also has bigger than a 6 inch screen which is more than most hand helds They also accepts poi warnings for the greed speed scamera's.

Less clutter on the dash. Thats why I've gone built in.

My cars have had radio/cd built-in as standard for a long time - superior sound quality isn't linked directly to sat-nav but available as an option on many cars without sat-nav. A big screen doesn't help see what shape the next junction is.

My £99 sat-nav has all the speed cameras, fixed and mobile, with free lifetime updates - when the map gets out of date I simply buy another unit for £99 - much cheaper than £2-400 for a map update!

Any - Why buy a car with built-in sat-nav ? - Paul G1pdc

my father in laws has been quoted £400 for an up to date sat-nav disk for his legacy 3 litre....ouch...

my tom tom cost £100 and had the usual points of interest, speed cameras etc. and lives in the wifes car....

i now use my nokia music express phone bought from ebay for £80 2 years ago, has built in sat-nav and the yearly map updates are free. works with the blue tooth in the car. and of course its always with me. you can change the display to one of 4 different options, ie map 2d mode, 3d mode, etc etc...and zoom in and out...etc...

the car model above mine (i have a lancer gs3) the gs4 has a built in satnav system and 30gb music hardrive.....i as of yesterday have added a 32gb usb stick to my car stereo, easier to use than the gs4 option as i can simply unplug it and take it indoors to upload new music...rather than take the cd to the car and download it outside...

and of course i keep reading that standard radio will be switched off in 2015...(approx) so all those optional 4 figure sat-nav blue tooth untils (like in my sister in laws Audi) will have radios that can't be used...

and of course i keep reading that standard radio will be switched off in 2015...(approx) so all those optional 4 figure sat-nav blue tooth untils (like in my sister in laws Audi) will have radios that can't be used...

Luckily my Pioneer has inputs on the rear for various bits of kit -tv tuner, DAB what have you etc. In any event I find I mostly listen to the ipod

Regarding cost of mapping disk updates...you need to see this...

http://www.satnav-updates.com/

Cheaper than Garmin in fact....nobody but nobody should go back and buy an update from the main dealer thats asking to be ripped off.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 25/01/2012 at 12:21

and it controls your iPod how? Superior sound quality (to the oem radio/cd) because one of my units is a all singing all dancing Pioneer (the other Nissans Ntec system) and both are superb.

You didn't explain how your handhelds allow hands free phone in and out, with steering wheel buttons...

In fact .....Steering wheel controls? Any handhelds got those at all?

Incidentally I keep a 120gb classic ipod in each of my cars. And clutter on the dash is eliminated. No tell tale round marks left on the inside of the windscreen that say to naer do wells...'break in here ...my expensive kit is hidden under the seat'.

BTW Actually your 100% wrong. A bigger screen DOES help you see the layout of the next junction. The Pioneer tells you the exit number when using the route guidance, by means of a layout and a number...take exit 3 etc.

Here's the kicker...your costing of a built in is utter rubbish. I've never paid over £350 extra. Perhaps negotiation skills need sharpening chaps.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 25/01/2012 at 12:14

and it controls your iPod how? Superior sound quality (to the oem radio/cd) because one of my units is a all singing all dancing Pioneer (the other Nissans Ntec system) and both are superb.

You didn't explain how your handhelds allow hands free phone in and out, with steering wheel buttons...

In fact .....Steering wheel controls? Any handhelds got those at all?

Incidentally I keep a 120gb classic ipod in each of my cars. And clutter on the dash is eliminated. No tell tale round marks left on the inside of the windscreen that say to naer do wells...'break in here ...my expensive kit is hidden under the seat'.

BTW Actually your 100% wrong. A bigger screen DOES help you see the layout of the next junction. The Pioneer tells you the exit number when using the route guidance, by means of a layout and a number...take exit 3 etc.

Here's the kicker...your costing of a built in is utter rubbish. I've never paid over £350 extra. Perhaps negotiation skills need sharpening chaps.

My budget Korean handles iPod and Bluetooth without needing a sat-nav.

My £99 sat-nav tells me exit number, and shows the junction layout in both map form and symbolic.

Perhaps you need to see what £99 gives you !!

Yep theres control and then there's CONTROL. Rest assured 'Budget Korean' isn't going to be even in the same ballpark.

And I have had many handheld units before selling them on on Ebay.

As far as I'm concerned, the fewer buttons on the steering wheel-the better.

Even the cheapest phone has a loudspeaker/microphone function-just mute the radio by hand. Excessive automation doesn't make life more convenient at all.

Personally, I don't care for hands free-but I can see how it would be helpful to someone who spends a lot of time on the phone.

I use a nokia blue tooth speaker than clips onto the sun visor. after 2 rings it automatically answers the phone, and when the other person hangs up it disconnects...

theres only 1 button on the thing..(apart from on and off) and that allows last number re-dial.

the satnav on the phone also comes out through this speaker, so a lot clearer than the little pair of built in speakers on the standard phone.

(I have a sony stereo i fitted in my lancer, with rear mounted usb lead that i have fed into my glove box. ) (radio surround and wiring bought from Amazon USA. due to being half the uk price....thus works with steering wheel controls....

oh thanks for the satnav link, i've forwarded it to my fatherinlaw.

and just checked the tom tom site. they sell 1 years of map updates for £33. with map updates every quarter.

Any - Why buy a car with built-in sat-nav ? - piggy
<<Just buy an android phone, sat nav better than old Tom Tom or Garmin I had.>>

Don`t you believe it! I just got lost in Manchester today relying on an android phone. It came up with "signal lost,follow the route".Luckily I had my trusty TT in the car,and after about 20miles of wasted petrol found the place I was going to. I do agree about the maping being superior though.

Any - Why buy a car with built-in sat-nav ? - xtrailman

I have had standard fit sat nav since 2004, the lastest car comes with a 7" screen, interfaces with the stereo and bluetooth phone, and also turns onto the reversing camera picture.

Updates are available for £40, i never bother as the position cursor still shows the car position, and the map the plotted route, so its not difficult to work out the correct direction.

Personally i wouldnt buy a car with out it.

I tried a smart phone for a walking sat nav, the display was hard to see in sunlight, it sometimes failed to lock on, and constantly needed to log on to find its position, i found it totally useless.

Replaced that last year with a dedicated sat nav, a Garmin 1370T, thats brilliant compared to the phone, and still shows your position and direction off road, the smart phone just left the position indicator at the last road you was on.

Comparing the Garmin against the Nissan satnav, side by side, the nissan blows it away.

The Garmin does give safty cameras, but even the last update is inaccurate.

The only advantage is you get full postcodes, nissan does'nt, however the 2012 models do.

dont knock people for buying sat nav, the second owner always gets a bargin.

unthrottled, 'But the best cabins are simple and uncluttered; not having what you don't need is just as important as having what you want.'

That's true. Cars are littered with buttons helping distract the driver from the road. No wonder cars now have so many anti-kill yourself devices. Two of the best, simple, uncluttered dashboards, are the Audi A6 from 1998-2004 and W124 Mercedes.

Fabia VRS (old model) had a wonderfully simple (if bland) dashboard. As did the old Focus ST. Didn't need any junk to distract you from enjoying the power.

The fighter plane cockpit style dash of the Saab 9-3 otoh...ugh! ;-)

Fabia VRS (old model) had a wonderfully simple (if bland) dashboard. As did the old Focus ST. Didn't need any junk to distract you from enjoying the power.

The fighter plane cockpit style dash of the Saab 9-3 otoh...ugh! ;-)

Skoda Fabia dashboard - most bland, but effective.

Unthrottled, I'm so pleased you mentioned Saab. ;) The Saab 9-3 is a masterclass in dash design. I love the night panel.

Angling everything towards the driver is not so convenient to the front passenger. There are more buttons on the centre dash than on a 1960's Magnox control station. Horrible.

True, but they're not driving it. I remember BL thought the Marina driver wasn't the one who operated the radio, so angled it away to the passenger.

Actually today most centre consoles are angled to the passenger because manufacturers can't be bothered to change for the rhd market! Lazy bleepers!

BTW I was thinking of the pre-2002 Saab 9-3. You're correct about the one afterwards.

Edited by Trilogy on 25/01/2012 at 14:05

True, but they're not driving it. I remember BL thought the Marina driver wasn't the one who operated the radio, so angled it away to the passenger.

Actually today most centre consoles are angled to the passenger because manufacturers can't be bothered to change for the rhd market! Lazy bleepers!

BTW I was thinking of the pre-2002 Saab 9-3. You're correct about the one afterwards.

Fortunately Japanese cars built there, like Subaru's still angle the dash to the right - and equally fortunately the Koreans copy the Japanese!

Any - Why buy a car with built-in sat-nav ? - jamie745

My S-Type has a Sat Nav and seeing as i get lost in a telephone box i find it very useful!

Any - Why buy a car with built-in sat-nav ? - Andy P

My Beemer has i-Drive, so navigation, communication, entertainment and some vehicle functions are all take care of on the one screen. The other benefit is that without it, the dashboard is just one boring featureless plank right across the car.

Any - Why buy a car with built-in sat-nav ? - motorprop

No one has ever smashed a driver's window to yank out a built in Sat Nav, have they ?

You cannot forget to hide , install or charge it

It is always there to help on even short journeys

It is superior to a £99 Garmin

Any - Why buy a car with built-in sat-nav ? - gordonbennet

Toyota in built was a wonderful piece of kit, however it was so complicated that it was used maybe half a dozen times in three years, wouldn't allow en route programming either and you could be 10 miles down the road by the time you'd gone through all the options.

Luckily we didn't pay extra for it as it came standard, i wouldn't tick the extras box either, larger sized stand alone for us now.

Any - Why buy a car with built-in sat-nav ? - dadbif
Sadly it appears to be true, there is info on how to disable speed cameras on the Tomtom website
Any - Why buy a car with built-in sat-nav ? - Bobbin Threadbare

<cough> Paper map!!!!

<cough> Paper map!!!!

I thought that for a long time - then I had a need to know where speed cameras were, both fixed and mobile - I do now admit that sat-nav is useful for knowing exactly where you are - but I still decide which route to use, not the female on the windscreen!

HI CHAPS. just a quick thank-you. after saying about my father in laws subaru legacy with its £400 map update.

a link was posted on this thread....i told my FIL about it...and he bought a copy yesterday...and it arrived today....he said...."i took a risk and bought that cheap map update, and it works a treat"

so thanks again....its saved him hundreds......

http://www.satnav-updates.com/index.php?cat=2011_SUBARU_SAT_NAV_DISCS1&ActinicSID=d5c3563e6baf768e2b2286a502c921f6

your welcome.

Any - Why buy a car with built-in sat-nav ? - colinh

Paper map is a good solution for town-to-town - the problem is finding room in the car for the 10,000 A-to-Zs if you want to go address-to-address

Any - Why buy a car with built-in sat-nav ? - Collos25

"My Beemer has i-Drive, so navigation, communication, entertainment and some vehicle functions are all take care of on the one screen. The other benefit is that without it, the dashboard is just one boring featureless plank right across the car".

I was looking at the new 5 series does this have full post code input in the UK one of my colleagues has a two year old 525d estate and the sat nav is not very good.

Any - Why buy a car with built-in sat-nav ? - Andy P

Don't know about the new ones - mine is nearly 5 years old and has the 5-digit code, but I don't have any problems with it. It's always got me where I want to go.

Any - Why buy a car with built-in sat-nav ? - dieseldotty

"My Beemer has i-Drive, so navigation, communication, entertainment and some vehicle functions are all take care of on the one screen. The other benefit is that without it, the dashboard is just one boring featureless plank right across the car".

I was looking at the new 5 series does this have full post code input in the UK one of my colleagues has a two year old 525d estate and the sat nav is not very good.

You only need Bluetooth to be enabled on the current 5 series to run your iPhone with an iDrive driven phone book, phone calls through the speakers, TT directions through the speakers, iPod music through the speakers (and sorted on the centre dash display) whilst still receiving TP traffic news from the radio and, if you fork out £20 or so per year, TT traffic news. Works the same in a Bolero in a Yeti (except for track sorting on the iPod).

Edited by dieseldotty on 30/01/2012 at 09:36

Any - Why buy a car with built-in sat-nav ? - Smileyman

My 54 plate Nissan Primera came with buit in satnav as stanard - it is great, it even covers Europe, a very handy tool indeed.

I use to find front doors, and store locations of places I want to revisit but wheever I travel anywhere I don't know I always look at a paper or online map first to get the feel of the journey, then set the satnav, following my chosen paper map route even if sat nav shows a different route.

There was one occasion my wife went to Darlington (from Kent) on a training course for her work, (in her car without sat nav) - whilst there another delegate (from Gloucestershire) borrowed someone's else's (also from Kent) TomTom to plan their return trip home, after this the other Kent resident set off for home ... when she reached the M5 she realised they were lost and nowhere near home.

So the moral is not to rely blindly on these electronic toys but be aware of your journey and where you are going.

Any - Why buy a car with built-in sat-nav ? - Bobbin Threadbare

So the moral is not to rely blindly on these electronic toys but be aware of your journey and where you are going.

Very, very true!!
Any - Why buy a car with built-in sat-nav ? - 1litregolfeater

When you can buy an up to date map for £1.99.

Don't know.

Anyway, isn't the reliance on technology making people less intelligent.

Think about it, if you can.

Any - Why buy a car with built-in sat-nav ? - dadbif
You can print off a route on "via Michelin", this will give you the positions of all fixed speed cameras on your journey across France, leaving you free to disable the speed camera POI on your Tomtom, it gives the memsahib something to do as well....
Any - Why buy a car with built-in sat-nav ? - Happy Blue!

The problem with paper maps, printed off directions and even TomToms etc is that they force you to look away from the road ahead. Built in Sat Nav has a large screen you can glance at, voiced instructions, and all sorts of other benefits, especially the fact it can't get stolen.

After many years of driving one-handed with the other holding an A-Z ( and remarkably not crashing!), built in sat nav is superb. Safe, clear, convenient. I have never bought a brand new car, but my reent cars have been sourced via Autotrader using a specific search for naviation, once my preferred vehicle and other specs were chosen.

Tom Toms need power leads, satellite leads and batteries loss charge.

...even TomToms etc is that they force you to look away from the road ahead.

You mount the Tom Tom on the windscreen. Built in Navs sit where the HVAC controls should be. Which system takes your eyes further away from the road...?

Any - Why buy a car with built-in sat-nav ? - xtrailman

...even TomToms etc is that they force you to look away from the road ahead.

You mount the Tom Tom on the windscreen. Built in Navs sit where the HVAC controls should be. Which system takes your eyes further away from the road...?

Tom tom everytime.

The screens so small

Tom tom everytime. The screens so small

And watching newsnight on a 37" plasma makes current affairs so much more real than a 20" cathode ray tube.

My eyesight is not good and I don't find the screen size a problem. How do you manage to drive?!

Any - Why buy a car with built-in sat-nav ? - jamie745

I tend to take advantage of roundabout ques, traffic lights or straight bits of road with nothing on them to look at the Sat Nav.

Any - Why buy a car with built-in sat-nav ? - Roly93

This is a good idea for a discussion topic.

I bought my car nearly new with the technolgy pack which included the full Audi MMI sat nav, and to be honest I am glad I didn't pay for it as an option had I bought the car new.

It looks cool and isn't fundamentally bad, but then again it isn't fundamentally as good as my old £120 Garmin unit. The Audi sat-nav is about £1800 as a new car option which is a bit eye-watering.

The built in unit does not have full-postcode search, does not allow direct map insertion of destination, does not allow scanning of the map, which are all useful things on the Garmin. Also, as someone else has said, the update discs are a vicious price, and the 2010 database I have has some alarming holes in it.

So at the moment, the only reason for getting a built in Sat-Nav is coolness and more money than sense !