Chevrolet Matiz - Vehicle Identification Check VIC Process - kevin67h

A guy ran into the back of me and admitted full liability - everything is sorted insurance-wise.

There is now a Vehicle Identification Check VIC marker on my car as it is an economic write-off - I don't know if it's a C or D.

The garage said my car is still structurally sound to drive as-is after the accident. The damage was confined to the tail/boot/hatch door and lock and also the rear spare wheel well is crumpled slightly probably by about 2-3 inches. The garage repaired the hatch door so that I can open and close it easily. Other than a few paint scuffs on the bumper, there is no noticeable dsmage to the bumper as the other guys car went under mine and lifted it up upon collision.

I notice that the process for the VIC is that repairs must be carried out. But I'm told that the car is still sound. Given that repairs to the rear hatch door have been carried out am I compelled to have the wheel well repaired as well if I'm happy to keep the car as it is? The spare wheel still fits comfortably so that might give you more of an idea of the limit of the crumple.

On the other hand, if I must have the wheel well repaired what sort of percentage value of the car might I look at if I sell had the car not been in an accident?

Thank you for reading me and your time to reply. This matter has some urgency for me so if you can reply I will appreciate it very much indeed.

Edited by kevin67h on 24/01/2012 at 22:34

Chevrolet Matiz - Vehicle Identification Check VIC Process - kevin67h
Chevrolet Matiz - Vehicle Identification Check VIC Process - thunderbird

A man of few words.

Chevrolet Matiz - Vehicle Identification Check VIC Process - Avant

Anyone able to help here? Not my area of expertise, I'm afraid.

Chevrolet Matiz - Vehicle Identification Check VIC Process - RT

The VIC check is simply of the car's ID - but it must be roadworthy and MoT'd if over 3 years old.

www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVeh...7

Edited by RT on 26/01/2012 at 21:55

Chevrolet Matiz - Vehicle Identification Check VIC Process - TeeCee

My understanding here is that if it has a VIC check marker against it, it must be a Cat C writeoff.

I also thought that the VIC merely proved that the car was the one it was supposed to be and not a "ringer". Safety inspection is recommended but does not appear to be mandatory. However it must pass an MOT and I would have thought that visible damage to the rear floor would be quite likely to fail.

Again, as I said before, the ruling at the time that it is "structurally sound" more likely means that it was eligable for Cat C or D rather than Cat A or B, which cannot be repaired. It does not necessarily mean that it does not need to be repaired and you need to check this further.

Example: If you had had a front wing ripped clean off and no other damage, the vehicle would still be structurally sound, but it would also be considered unroadworthy for several reasons....

Chevrolet Matiz - Vehicle Identification Check VIC Process - RT

I believe the sole purpose of the VIC check is to ensure that economic write-offs aren't used to provide a false identity for a ringer or stolen car - the point being that they can be repaired and put back on the road - all VOSA is doing is checking it's the original vehicle and not a ringer or stolen car.