Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Can i reject my new Evoque - caroline11000

I have had my brand new Evoque just under a month, and while washing my car over the Christmas break I noticed that the two doors on one side of the car have been repaire/re-sprayed because there is paint runs at the bottom of both doors, paint on the rear door rubber and flaky/rough paint where the sprayed panels meet the plastic trims on both doors. My dealer claims it has not been repaired prior to my collecting it. I can't believe it left the factory like this either. So somewhere along the line someone has repaired it. My dealer is getting a LR assessor to look at it on Monday with a view to repairing it on warranty. My thoughts are that I bought a brand new car and expected a brand new car in perfect condition which this clearly isn't. I don't want to accept a second re-spray to correct the first! Am I within my right to 'reject' the car because of it's unaceptable quality, or do I have to go along with what the dealer wants and get it repaired under warranty?

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Can i reject my new Evoque - bonzo dog

Hi Caroline, sorry to hear of your disappointment with what should be a pleasing event. A few points if I may:

1. Ignore whatever jamie says; he has not got a clue about what rights you may or may not have; he simply says what he thinks should be right (& in many cases I agree with him BTW)
  2. If it were me I would try to reject it & see what Land Rover say
  3. If they will not exchange it or give a refund your only option is the courts & quite frankly no-one except the judge on the day can tell you what they will decide
  4. & finally ...... it's a Land Rover ...... why do you expect perfection? If you want perfection you should have bought a Toyota. Instead you bought a badge. Having the sort of money one of these costs as disposable money, you should have known better!
Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Can i reject my new Evoque - injection doc

"& finally ...... it's a Land Rover ...... why do you expect perfection? If you want perfection you should have bought a Toyota. Instead you bought a badge. Having the sort of money one of these costs as disposable money, you should have known better!"

100% correct. My experince with L/R customer service is nothing but bad. Soon as they have your money they dont want to know.

Good luck & persist

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Can i reject my new Evoque - RicardoB

I suspect that a lot of brand new cars - prestige or otherwise - have little secrets to do with bodywork. They are bound to get knocked/scratched a bit of transporters etc.

It is unfortunate that it seems that the repair on this one isn't as hidden/good as it could be, so yes, make a fuss - worth a go.

Also, get the dealer to check the headlights - all the Evoques I've seen so far seem to have very badly adjusted running lights combined with headlights - dazzling/distracting coming towards you, and light up the whole of the inside of my car from behind - in daytime as well as night!

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Can i reject my new Evoque - Durelli_tyres

Hi

My dad was rear ended by a Mercedes several years ago. Turns out the Merc was unsold, and being taken out by a salesman for a spin.

Salesman immediatly agreed to cover all costs of repair of my dads car and there was no need to go to insurance.

My dad got a coutesy car, and his car all repaired very quickly.

I assume there's no record of this Mercedes ever being in an accident and being repaired, which is why the Mercedes dealership was so keen to undertake repairs.

Durelli

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Can i reject my new Evoque - jamie745

gnore whatever jamie says; he has not got a clue about what rights you may or may not have; he simply says what he thinks should be right

Well i do know that if it was me then that Evoque would currently be acting the part of a window at the LR dealership.

& finally ...... it's a Land Rover ...... why do you expect perfection? If you want perfection you should have bought a Toyota. Instead you bought a badge. Having the sort of money one of these costs as disposable money, you should have known better!

If thats a joke its not even funny. Do you work for Toyota?

100% correct. My experince with L/R customer service is nothing but bad. Soon as they have your money they dont want to know.

Then why havent they gone out of business? You're all acting as if its acceptable to sell a brand new car which is clearly used and bodged. This isnt some used car lot with 10 year old sheds, this is brand new cars which are expensive. Nothing less than perfect is acceptable.

And to tell somebody that they deserve to lose their money and experience problems because they bought a car you dont particularly like is just nonsense. Only in this country would we hand over thousands of pounds for something brand new and then just accept being kicked in the face as if its ok.

I do hate this notion of 'what do you expect?' and 'you should be happy with that.' Because you shouldnt, take it back and drive it up their a***.

By the way, i used to sell cars and i know what i'd expect to happen to me if i sold anything which wasnt what it should be.

Then why havent they gone out of business

Because other companies keep buying them.

I'm surprised someone as knowledgeable as you about the motor trade hasn't picked up on this one Jamie

But surely if you buy a company, particularly a failing one, then you seek to make it better no?

But surely if you buy a company, particularly a failing one, then you seek to make it better no?

Yes, & in this respect the various owners have improved quality issues.

But they have not yet caught up with the other European makes let alone Korean or Japenese.

Whether this is because of lack of technical ability (which I doubt) or because they are designing cars to appeal to those who buy an image (which I believe) rather than quality, I don't know

"100% correct. My experince with L/R customer service is nothing but bad. Soon as they have your money they dont want to know."

Jamie745

I purchased a brandnew landrover so I speak with experince, customer services appalling, I have had over 3 years of hassle & grief before I have finally had mine fixed, the details & experince of which takes over 6 pages of A4 in faults alone> Its the worse new car I have ever bought next to a hillman imp in 1970's. I must add that the majority of problems have been caused by either lack of interest or knowledge by their so called dealer net work

The strange thing is that l/R have a very strong following and very loyal customer base who all seem to tolerate horrendous experinces if you read some of the L/r forums !

I too have spent 35 years in the trade including car sales and reckon if L/r had a reliable product & good aftersales they could double their sales !

My last caravan I purchased had a paint defect from new & the manufactures took it back & actually fitted a whole new side to it rather than repair the panel( after admitting it was damaged & repaired at the factory). Brilliant job, brilliant service & would buy the same make again. It was not stress or hassle, they just put their hands up and said they damaged it on build & even offered the option of a brandnew replacement. Now thats what I call service, Wake up car manufactures.

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Can i reject my new Evoque - TeeCee

Seconded.

I used to own a Disco. Nothing wrong with the car, but both the knowledge of the service staff and L/R customer service were shockingly awful.

As far as I could make out, their entire business is based on; "we will screw your car up and then it's your problem".

If you really must buy a Land Rover, use one of the many excellent independants for servicing. There's no advantage at all to dealer servicing, as the nearest thing L/R have to "goodwill" is when they actually bother to call or write back to you to tell you to get knotted rather than just ignoring you.

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Can i reject my new Evoque - ijws15
I work in Solihull, about two miles from the factory, colleagues with family/friends working there say they would never buy one.
Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Can i reject my new Evoque - RT
I work in Solihull, about two miles from the factory, colleagues with family/friends working there say they would never buy one.

How would they know any more than the rest of us - the Evoque isn't built at Solihull!

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Can i reject my new Evoque - Roly93

& finally ...... it's a Land Rover ...... why do you expect perfection? If you want perfection you should have bought a Toyota. Instead you bought a badge. Having the sort of money one of these costs as disposable money, you should have known better!

Wow ! I thought this level of vitriol was reserved for VaG group vehicles !!

Like or loath Land Rovers the lady has spend her hard earned cash on a product which is sub-standard. Look to reject the vehicle, if you gent anything less than bowing and scraping from the dealership go to trading standards.

Wow ! I thought this level of vitriol was reserved for VaG group vehicles !!

My point was that having a sizeable amount of dosh to spend on a car, the lady should be able to & should have done a bit more research into the product before parting with her hard earned.

For example, when I finally get around to buying a new bike it may well be a Harley. I will buy this because I want to ride a Harley with all of the "feel-good" factor that this brings KNOWING that the quality build is not up to Honda or Triumph standards; but at least it will be an informed choice.

There was certainly no "vitriol" intended, & I apologise to the OP if this came across to her

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Can i reject my new Evoque - Avant

Caroline needs our help, not an argument.

HJ has some advice (Ask HJ on this site, then FAQ no. 5) - but as you can see from there the picture isn't very clear.

The longer you have had the car the harder it is to insist on rejection rather than repair under the Sale of Goods Act. However English law upholds that which is reasonable, and you've discovered the paint problem at the first reasonable opportunity. I think you should try rejection: be polite but firm with the dealer, and demand to know (a) how this happened in the first place - which may not be the dealer's fault, and (b) why the dealer didn't spot the problem at the pre-delivery inspection - which most certainly was their fault.

Remember that your contract is with the dealer, not Land Rover: in an ideal world you can get your money back and spend it on an Audi Q3. If you can't get them to budge, get an independent auto body expert in to look at the respray and accept it only if it's indistinguishable from new.

With luck our regular contributor Gordonbennet may see this thread: he used to be a professional car transporter driver and although I don't suppose he ever dented a car himself, he may have some knowledge of damage to new cars.

Edited by Avant on 07/01/2012 at 23:00

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Can i reject my new Evoque - caroline11000

HJ has some advice (Ask HJ on this site, then FAQ no. 5) - but as you can see from there the picture isn't very clear.

The longer you have had the car the harder it is to insist on rejection rather than repair under the Sale of Goods Act. However English law upholds that which is reasonable, and you've discovered the paint problem at the first reasonable opportunity. I think you should try rejection: be polite but firm with the dealer, and demand to know (a) how this happened in the first place - which may not be the dealer's fault, and (b) why the dealer didn't spot the problem at the pre-delivery inspection - which most certainly was their fault.

Remember that your contract is with the dealer, not Land Rover: in an ideal world you can get your money back and spend it on an Audi Q3. If you can't get them to budge, get an independent auto body expert in to look at the respray and accept it only if it's indistinguishable from new.

With luck our regular contributor Gordonbennet may see this thread: he used to be a professional car transporter driver and although I don't suppose he ever dented a car himself, he may have some knowledge of damage to new cars.

Thank you for your helpful reply, I think I will try the reject route first and see how it goes. I am new to this site and haven't really worked my way round it yet!

As one of the moderators, I should have said welcome to the forum. Best of luck.

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Can i reject my new Evoque - gordonbennet

It can happen that a new complete car gets damaged at some point in its journey to you, a stone flicks up from the road and chips the paint, that sort of thing, in the compound the wind catches a door of a car parked next and puts a ding in another one, can hardly scrap a car because of something like this.

As Avant rightly notes, us delivery drivers were perfect and could never do any wrong..:-)

Most unusual that any touching up would be visible to a buyer though, are you sure the runs are not in the original paint, it does happen....any refurb work is carried out so well you would never know, it seems someone wasn't doing their job very well with your car.

Be assured that nasty damage will result in the vehicle being not being sold to you as a new car, you won't be buying a new car and find tennis ball sized chunks of filler falling off if you go over a speed hump a year later.

If the car was mine i'd slip it round to a handy little bodyshop where you can speak to a hands on person, not a receptionist, and ask a pro of his opinion as to the likely scenario. Not to get him to do anything you understand simply to get an unbiased professional opinion of likely damage thats been covered, then you have more info to make a decision on.

If in a pro's opinion it was simply a poor finish from the factory paint shop or a minor scratch during transit/movements that someone touched up not very well, then if it was me i'd let the dealer sort it properly and maybe encourage them to throw in a future service or something for your trouble.

If the pro finds that something nasty has been covered up then IMO this will be without LR's knowledge, and maybe you should think of escalating the complaint whilst the evidence is stil there.

Its up to you really, do you like the car?, does it please you?

Avant,the OP has asked for advice & has received it.

But she has also made a number of comments as to what she believes "should" be the case.

I can't believe it left the factory like this.

So somewhere along the line someone has repaired it

I bought a brand new car and expected a brand new car in perfect condition

It is these comments which I (& can I suggest others) have also responded to.

However she is certainly within her rights to ASK FOR a refund / exchange & with this in mind:

1. Write to the dealer principal of the dealership you bought it from stating why you are dissatisfied & what you want doing about it
  2. Copy Land Rover. You can find an address here http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/lr/contact-us/contact-us/ or you may want to phone them & ask which is the best address for complaints or you may want to ask the dealer where to complain to
  3. Both letters should be by recorded or registered post
  4. If you purchased the vehicle via a Finance Agreement you should also copy in the finance company who are jointly (with the dealer) liable for the goods, use the words "merchandisable quality"
  5. Should you not recieve satisfaction you would then need to seek redress via the courts under Sale Of Goods Act. Unless you have legal experience I would suggest you do this via a solicitor

Good luck

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Can i reject my new Evoque - SlidingPillar

Gordonbennett's advice of get a bodyshop guy to look at it is bang on in my opinion. To know what you have will enable you to sum it up well in a letter.

I did just that with a warrenty bodywork repair that wasn't up to a reasonable standard.

Bonzo Dog - you didn't start an argument, you just gave helpful advice. No problem.

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Can i reject my new Evoque - ex-Triumph man

Caroline: Sorry to hear you feel the need to get rid of your Evoque so soon. As others have said, your contract of sale is with the vendor, not LR. Therefore any intention to reject the vehicle should be addressed to the Dealer Principal at the dealership. Remember too that if the vehicle is leased or purchased through a finance company, they too have legal entitlement to the vehicle. If this is the case, for goodness sake do not withhold payment.

I would therefore suggest that you be with the Dealer Principal along with Land Rover's representative and try to agree some action, mutually agreeable to all parties.

In the event that you keep the vehicle, then insist on a gesture of goodwill, say free servicing/accessories etc.

Good luck anyway

Edited by Avant on 08/01/2012 at 20:52

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Can i reject my new Evoque - bathtub tom

Am I missing the point here?

Aren't Land Rovers supposed to be off-road vehicles that are likely to get dirty, bashed and generally knocked about? Why else would anyone buy a 4WD?

I've just been told a little rich girl with questionable singing talent was involved the the interior design. Sorry, I'm still not getting it. Interior design and Land Rover seem mutually incompatible.

;>)

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Can i reject my new Evoque - unthrottled

It's an Evoque-not a Land Rover.

Wet Collie dogs and 12 bores will never grace the inside of an Evoque.

Aren't Land Rovers supposed to be off-road vehicles that are likely to get dirty, bashed and generally knocked about? Why else would anyone buy a 4WD?

If it is supposed to get bashed and knocked about it doesnt sound like this one would stand up very well to it.

When the Evoque came out, I wondered what it was supposed to be, well, evoking. But clearly it's what a lot of people want, as order books are full. LR seem to be good at finding gaps in the market - just not so good at putting the products together.

It must be a matter of poor factory management and / or components, as similar British workforces manage to assemble immaculate Hondas, Nissans and Toyotas in the UK.

It's not fair to ask Caroline now while she's battling with her dealer: but perhaps she'll come back at some point and tell us what attracted her to the Evoque. I don't mean that rudely - I'd be genuinely interested to know.

LR seem to be good at finding gaps in the market - just not so good at putting the products together.

British Leyland had very talented engineers with some excellent designs and some forward thinking engineering but they were let down by the poor management and implimention of it on the factory floor. You can have the best minds in the business but if its not built properly it wont work. The cars ended up made (eventually) by people who spent all their lives on strike with no pride in their work. It seems Land Rover still have quality control issues.

The original Range Rover was technically a brilliant car but it was built badly.

It's not fair to ask Caroline now while she's battling with her dealer: but perhaps she'll come back at some point and tell us what attracted her to the Evoque. I don't mean that rudely - I'd be genuinely interested to know.

To be fair the more i see the Evoque (saw one on the road the other day) i do warm to it a little bit. It seems to be what people want, the Qashqai and Juke sell pretty well so LR have to get in on the act. Im not one of those who berates 4x4 drivers who dont primarily use them on farms, i for example quite like the Jeep Grand Cherokee specifically the 4.7 V8 models. Would its tyres get muddy with me? Not likely. Would i have one? Possibly.

Are question talkers annoying? Definately.

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Can i reject my new Evoque - gordonbennet

Isn't it a Freelander 2 in a Posh frock..;)

See them coming down the M6 so assume they are made alongside current Freelander.

QC at Japanese car factories has to be seen to be believed, its absolutely perfect or it doesn't leave.

Mate of mine scratched a Honda wheeltrim whilst loading at Swindon, he popped in and asked for replacement trim, no way he got another car instead, damaged car would have to be fully examined and checked over underneath before being dispatched.

Find something, anything, not right at a Toyota distribution site (situation as rare as hens teeth) and a bloke in a white smock turns up pronto.

Haven't been to Nissans site so can't comment.

Havent Honda started destroying cars which were made in a factory in Japan which flooded?

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Can i reject my new Evoque - Auristocrat

Reminds me of when Rover assembled the Concerto for Honda at Longbridge. All completed Concertos were transported down to Swindon to go through the Honda quality control process before distribution to dealers. Rejected cars were transported back to Longbridge for rectification. Rectified cars underwent the Honda quality control process again.

The Concerto we bought developed a fault with the drivers door switch that controlled the central locking and alarm. Honda didn't have any switches in Europe. They refused to fit the Rover item, as that hadn't undergone the Honda quality control process. The dealer ended up taking a switch from a car in stock, and fitting it to ours. We knew one of the dealer's technicians - and the stock car was three weeks waiting for a replacement switch.

Reminds me of when Rover assembled the Concerto for Honda at Longbridge. All completed Concertos were transported down to Swindon to go through the Honda quality control process before distribution to dealers. Rejected cars were transported back to Longbridge for rectification. Rectified cars underwent the Honda quality control process again.

And when Rover started exporting the 825 to the States, as the Sterling, they set up a rectification workshop in Long Beach where every single car spent several weeks being "fettled" into acceptable condition. Not that it was a success even then - despite the fact that Americans are used to poorer quality cars judging by the comparisons between models built in US factories and their Japanese/Korean equivalent.

"Isn't it a Freelander 2 in a Posh frock..;) "

Quite correct, just a glorified FR2,and as you say the order books are full, expensive car so I dont know what the attraction is. Lets hope the dealers up their game.

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Can i reject my new Evoque - GrimReeper

Quite correct, just a glorified FR2,and as you say the order books are full, expensive car so I dont know what the attraction is. Lets hope the dealers up their game.

I paid £44 k for mine and am very pleased with it. It looks stylish and drives great and says to all the plebs I pass.. "Up Yours poor person"!!! and for that I adore it.

Edited by Avant on 18/01/2013 at 11:41

ren't Land Rovers supposed to be off-road vehicles that are likely to get dirty, bashed and generally knocked about? Why else would anyone buy a 4WD?

I am guessing this will be the 2WD version... My own is 4x4 and it is very useful in the snow. I live in the country you see. It is I guess hard fro town dwellers to realise that a 4 x 4 is actually essential for such as I.

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Can i reject my new Evoque - bathtub tom

>>I am guessing this will be the 2WD version

As the OP and all of this previous thread is now over a year old, I guess we'll never know!

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Can i reject my new Evoque - tony g
Why would G R ,want to reinstate a discussion that's a year old and post in a way that's pointless and confrontational .

The name GR ,the misspellings ,the assertion that he makes money by pursuing people through the courts ,is all b,s*** .

These posts are either spoofs or a fantasy ,if its the latter it's time for GR to return to the home for the permanently confused .

If its a spoof it's pointless why bother .

I agre entirely, Tony. I've had to edit out the offensive bits and delete one whole post.

We normally welcome new members to the forum, but this isn't a good start, Grim Reeper (sic).

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Can i reject my new Evoque - Galaxy

Just picked up this thread.

I wonder how Caroline got on, then?

It's a pity isn't it - a lot of people come here for advice (fine - that's a large part of what this forum is for) and then don't come back and tell us the outcome.

It's interesting to see how well the Evoque is selling. Good for British industry, but to my eyes it's ugly, fairly slow not very roomy, and there's the potential for getting a unreliable one.

But clearly lots of people like them, so let's hope that Land Rover have settled down to putting them together properly. I can't see why they shouldn't, given that British workers do a good job for Honda, Nissan, Toyota and BMW (Mini).

That'sll be your impariallity coming through then ? Is it so hard to belive that someone can afford such a car and really does hate poor people?

I will PM you a nice photo of it if you like.

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Can i reject my new Evoque - tony g
(That'sll be your impariallity coming through then ? Is it so hard to belive that someone can afford such a car and really does hate poor people?

I will PM you a nice photo of it if you like.)

Lunatic , irrelevant post ,trolling ? needs to prevented from posting .
Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Can i reject my new Evoque - Dabooka

That'sll be your impariallity coming through then ? Is it so hard to belive that someone can afford such a car and really does hate poor people?

I will PM you a nice photo of it if you like.

What a t****.

Grim "Reeper", any more offensive posts will be deleted. If you haven't got anything sensible or constructive to say, don't say anything at all.

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Can i reject my new Evoque - Angel111

The Sales of Goods Act 1979 states that you can reject the Car usually within 6 months as the vehicle should be as advertised, fit for purpose, and safe.

You could/should have been able to request this from the dealer at the time without having to jump through any hoops.

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Can i reject my new Evoque - Collos25

I think you should read and digest all of the latest SOGA.

I believe the reality of SoGA is that in the first 6 months, it's the retailers task to demonstrate that the defect wasn't present at time of manufacture - after 6 months it's the buyers task to demonstrate that the defect was present at time of manufacture.

Not all defects justify rejection.