VW Golf Plus 1.9 TDi - flywheel/clutch - henster

Hoping someone here can help. I had a new flywheel and clutch in my VW Golf Plus (55 plate) just over 12 months ago at 40k miles. The work was done at the main dealer and cost over £1k. I am now having problems with reverse gear - every time I reverse the gear slips out, particularly noticeable on any slight incline but happening more and more.

I have booked the car in and the main dealer said that if it's a problem related to the flywheel replacement then I don't have to pay the inspection fee and if it's non-related I do. The advice I'm after is basically this - can anyone with a more mechanical mind than I have (not hard!) make a guess at whether this can be anything but a related problem?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

VW Golf Plus 1.9 TDi - flywheel/clutch - Peter.N.

I doubt that the problem is with the flywheel/clutch assembly, if the clutch wasn't disengaging properly it would be difficult to get into reverse and would 'crunch'. If its going in easily its possibly not engaginging fully which may well be an external linkage problem which shouldn't be to expensive.

Thanks Peter - really appreciate your reply. I think I will cancel the main dealer appt as I don't want to end up paying their inspection charge if problem not likely to be linked. Will take it to a local and friendly place instead. Main dealer scares me anyway!!

VW Golf Plus 1.9 TDi - flywheel/clutch - medview

I'd like to suggest that your problem has been caused by the dealer's actions during the clutch//flywheel work in that they removed gear linkages and didn't put them back correctly adjusted.

I think the dealer should sort the problem for free!

Chris

Thanks for your reply Chris. I agree with you - especially as I have now found out that the gearbox is completely unfixable and needs replacing and the local VW approved garage suspect that debris from previous repair may well have caused the problem.

I did go to main dealer for initial diagnosis and they said it was definitely not their problem as clutch/flywheel totally separate from gearbox (without removing gearbox to check fault).

I feel stuck though as I didn't want VW to do the repair as their prices are so high - so I have taken it somewhere else. Now of course I want to go back to VW and say it's their fault but I'm sure they will continue to deny it. Would you still argue or just put it down to experience?!

The only conclusion I can come to is to never, ever buy a VW again. Big and expensive mistake ....

Thanks for your reply

VW Golf Plus 1.9 TDi - flywheel/clutch - Collos25

How does debris get inside the gearbox.

VW Golf Plus 1.9 TDi - flywheel/clutch - handson

when replacing a clutch no way any debris should enter gearbox as its a sealed unit unless taken apart or oil drained/topped up.

VW Golf Plus 1.9 TDi - flywheel/clutch - Peter D

It is a gear linkage problem that they did not get right or have come loose since they re-fitted the gear box. Regards Peter