FIAT Punto Evo - Remote key fob battery only lasting 3 weeks - Drage

Car is 8 months old. After 6 months of ownership the key fob battery needed replacing. Now the batteries (CR2032) are only lasting 2-3 weeks before they discharge. I'm using Panasonics, not Poundland ones. The keyfob hasn't sustained any damage or immersion in water. None of the keyfob buttons appear to be sticking as the car doesn't unlock/ lock if I hold the remote near the car without pressing them.

Clearly something is amiss as the batteries should last 1-2 years at least.

Can anyone suggest what has gone wrong with the remote?

I'd just like to get some prior information before I go back to the dealer and try and get it replaced under warranty as I can't see how they will be able to test it and they might try and "fob" me off!!!

FIAT Punto Evo - Remote key fob battery only lasting 3 weeks - TeeCee

I had that problem with my Zafira fob.

When I stopped using cheap, bulk packed Panasonic batteries from the local electrical goods store and put in a rather pricier Duracell one from Halfords the problem went away and has stayed away for two years since(!)

It's all about where you buy them from. If the place turns 'em over regularly they usually last. If they've been sat on the shelf for yonks and then been priced down.......

Same effect with a watch that I have which takes CR2032 batteries. The Panasonic ones appear to be good for putting in those LED "fake" tealights.......and not much else.

FIAT Punto Evo - Remote key fob battery only lasting 3 weeks - jc2

www.watchbattery.co.uk supply all types of batteries.

FIAT Punto Evo - Remote key fob battery only lasting 3 weeks - madf

I suspect the problem is marginal battery voltages.

FIAT Punto Evo - Remote key fob battery only lasting 3 weeks - Drage

Thanks for all the advice, however I put a brand new Duracell battery in as suggested and the remote has stopped working again today, so it looks to me like the actual keyfob must be malfunctioning.

Do any autoelectricians out there know whether and how our local Fiat garage could test the device? The reason I want to know is that I suspect they will just tell me the fault is down to me and that they'll tell me I'll have to buy a new one at great expense when it appears the keyfob is faulty and should be replaced under warranty

FIAT Punto Evo - Remote key fob battery only lasting 3 weeks - Peter D

But it is under warrantee. Take it to the dealer. Regards Peter