Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi (08) - Ford refuse to help charity - turbo failure warning - Charity Man

Hi

The charity I work for bought a 2 nd hand 08 plate Focus from a Ford dealership (Hazle Grove) in March 2009. We had it serviced at a Ford Service Centre (St Helens) in 2010. We haven’t yet had it serviced in 2011 - to be honest, the reason was that we’d not received a reminder (I know, not an excuse but we just assumed we’d get a reminder like we did last year).

Anyway, the car went into limp mode around 2 weeks ago. I took it to the Ford Service Centre in Wigan. They originally told me the Diesel Particulate Filter needed replacing, which would cost £850, so I reluctantly said yes. Then they told me the turbo had also gone and would cost £800 to replace. Again, reluctantly I said yes. Then, after replacing both parts at a combined cost of £1650, they told me the engine had also gone and that I could get a recon for £3.3k plus VAT.

The total cost of the works is £5.5k – I’m assuming the market value of the car will be worth less than that with a recon engine?

We’ve been on to Ford about whether they can provide financial assistance as the charity simply cannot afford the repair bill, which means we will have to scrap it (having already incurred £1.6k of cost).

After much toing and throwing, Ford Customer Relations said that they were not prepared to help the charity as their technical team believed it was a servicing issue (that the likelihood was that oil starvation due to poor servicing caused the turbo failure, which caused the dpf failure and then engine failure). This is not what the Ford Service Centre told me, which was that the foreign body that caused the turbo failure could have been from anything and it was impossible to say what the cause was.

My main question is this, does it sound plausible that a 3 year old Ford Focus, bought from a Ford dealer in 2009 and serviced at a Ford Service Centre in 2010 could blow up like this in 2011?

It just seems like if Ford aren’t prepared to help a charity in these circumstances, when would they ever help anyone? I will never, ever be going anywhere near a Ford again and would urge anyone considering doing so to look for a manufacturer with a much better warranty.

Kind regards

David

Edited by Charity Man on 19/09/2011 at 17:01

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi (08) - Ford refuse to help charity - turbo failure warning - Collos25

There are plenty of reasons why it would blow up but the ford agents in question seem to be a little lacking in mechanical skills.The most common fault for these engines to into LHM is a dirty egr valve or a turbo actuator if its an electric device some had vacuum actuators,if the diagnostics had been done correctly then the initial costs would have been saved as they should have diagnosed a blown engine to honest they are or seem to be hiding something perhaps there inability to carry out diagnostics proffessionally.If it is as you say then I would take the matter a step further maybe having to take legal advice.

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi (08) - Ford refuse to help charity - turbo failure warning - bathtub tom

How often was the oil level checked, and by whom?

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi (08) - Ford refuse to help charity - turbo failure warning - Charity Man

I'm assuming it was checked by the Ford dealership that sold us the car in '09 and then by the Ford Service Centre that serviced the car in '10. We hadn't had the car serviced yet in '11 because it slipped our minds (I'd always previously relied on a reminder from the service centre, which we've never received - lesson well and truly learned)! Ford's argument was that because we hadn't had every 12,500 service (for the reasons just mentioned) that they weren’t going to help us – I suppose the moral of the story is, Ford will use anything they can to get out of providing financial assistance - ethics clearly aren’t part of the decision making process!

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi (08) - Ford refuse to help charity - turbo failure warning - bathtub tom

How often does the handbook recomend the oil level's checked?

Not sure, the handbook is in the car at the service centre. I’m assuming its every 12,500 miles as the Customer Relations Team kept telling me the servicing was the issue.

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi (08) - Ford refuse to help charity - turbo failure warning - TeeCee

How often does the handbook recomend the oil level's checked?

+1 (!!)

You can use a dipstick or just be one. I hate to sound harsh, but this sounds like a self-inflicted wound and that Ford are well within their rights to come over with the Foxtrot Oscar response.

I feel dirty now, I've defended Ford.

This is exactly what I thought initially as it just seemed ludicrous that they could do this. I even called Trading Standards to ask whether they’d done anything wrong as my argument was, had I been told it needed a new engine to begin with, given the resale value of the car, I’d have said no to any work being undertaken and would have sold it. Instead, they effectively strung me along, which had resulted in me incurring costs of £2k and now having no choice but to pay for a new engine as the alternative is that we scrap the car and still owe them for the pointless work already undertaken.

Trading Standards said without an independent engineers report to contest their version of events, there’s nothing I could do. They also said it would be expensive and in all likelihood, as the car is no longer in the same condition, would be a fruitless exercise.

This whole experience has taught me that Ford, from corporate through to franchise, is a shambolic organisation that doesn’t have a shred of decency or compassion for its customers. I’d actually only ever owned Fords up to this point – never, ever again. I suppose they’ll only learn their lesson in the longer term when they start to see the older generations of brand ambassadors drop off and start to panic at the terminal decline in sales!

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi (08) - Ford refuse to help charity - turbo failure warning - gordonbennet

Reading between the lines here the oil was never checked between services, and the most recent service interval went way past the 12.5k interval, unless i've misread something.

Presumably then the oil and other levels were not checked for over 12.5k miles, the engine failed...amazing it lasted so well...and you are blaming Ford?

It's a car not a £150 washing machine that you throw away the first time it blips.

I think a little less of the sarcasm when you don’t know the facts – I’m assuming you work for Ford (probably in a social media engagement capacity to make forum complaints look trivial – I have worked in an industry where this is common practice). We’ve received a letter from Ford stating that the level of oil ‘could’ have been a contributory factor. We’ve asked the Service Centre and according to them, the oil levels were fine. What have you got to say now?

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi (08) - Ford refuse to help charity - turbo failure warning - madf

I don't think GB works for Ford.. or it's PR or any Ford supplier.:-)

He's just knowledgeable about cars.

Frankly,. cars require service and some attention from owners. And checking oil and servicing on time are an absolute minimum.. there are court cases where judgements back up those statements.

If you can't be bothered to carry out such checks and get it serviced on time and then come on here complaining, then I am sorry but you will receive as much sympathy as you deserve.

Edited by madf on 21/09/2011 at 16:06

Irrespective of whether you believe we were careless or even culpable due to contributory negligence, the facts are as I’ve just outlined above, that the oil levels were fine according to the Service Centre. By your logic, if you went to a doctor with a broken leg, they’d be well within their rights to say they weren’t prepared to help you because you missed your last dental check-up.

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi (08) - Ford refuse to help charity - turbo failure warning - Collos25

Irespective of the oil level being correct at the time of the service it shjould be checked on a regular basis to see that there is no forthcoming problem.Having read your following mails I think you or your operatives are wholey to blame for the problems.You have never checked the oil yourselve in two years the mind boggles how you could blame Ford or any agency is beyond me.

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi (08) - Ford refuse to help charity - turbo failure warning - SteveLee

So the oil was fine 14K miles ago? That's reassuring - obviously Ford's fault...

Edited by Charity Man on 22/09/2011 at 17:37

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi (08) - Ford refuse to help charity - turbo failure warning - galileo

I think the point being made in a number of replies is that checks on coolant, oil level, brake fluid and screenwash levels are supposed to be done on a regular basis - weekly may be unnecessary but monthly seems sensible.

There is probably advice on this in the car handbook. It is now part of the driving test for candidates to show the examiner they know how to check these items.

Relying on an annual (or less frequent ) service to check does not give the impression the vehicle was well cared for and, by implication, may have had a hard life?

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi (08) - Ford refuse to help charity - turbo failure warning - jamie745

Ignore Collos he just loves kicking members and has never made one single useful, constructive or positive post. People rely on garages to check on this stuff, its what they're paid for. Ive met people who know where to put petrol in and very little more, encouraging such people to check things themselves will be useless to them.

Just stating facts or do you never check the oil on your pedal car I have forgotten more about cars than you will know in ten life times.

So you take a car never service it and don't check the oil for two years is that normal method to you .

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi (08) - Ford refuse to help charity - turbo failure warning - madf

"People rely on garages to check on this stuff, its what they're paid for"

Absolute rubbish. Try telling that to a dealer when your car runs out of oil, blows up and they tell you your warranty does not apply....Becuase it will not.

If that's the best advice you can offer, I suggest you stop right now.

Your childish feuds with other members don't help. Please try to act responsibly .

Edited by madf on 21/09/2011 at 21:33

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi (08) - Ford refuse to help charity - turbo failure warning - jamie745

If that's the best advice you can offer, I suggest you stop right now.

It wasnt advice, i just always make sure people get defence against Collos' brutal and banworthy attitude and attacks on people whose only crime was asking a question. Doesnt matter what he says i have a compulsion to disagree with him.

Try telling that to a dealer when your car runs out of oil, blows up and they tell you your warranty does not apply....Becuase it will not.

Ive never used main dealers and ive never had a warranty in my life so i really couldnt care less what they think. Only time ive set foot in a main dealer was to pick up a part for a car they dont even sell.

Just stating facts or do you never check the oil on your pedal car I have forgotten more about cars than you will know in ten life times.

Did it take you ten life times to accumulate such 'knowledge'? Are you saying its impossible for any other human to absorb it? Just curious.

So you take a car never service it and don't check the oil for two years is that normal method to you .

Its interesting you mention that actually because ive not checked oil on anything for about five years. I'll put it on my to do list.

Thanks for your support Jamie

I'm not sure what exactly Collos is not getting. The oil levels were fine according to the Service Centre, hence the technicality Ford through the case out on could not have contributed in any way to the failure - perhaps I should write it in caps - THE OIL LEVELS WERE FINE – any better Collos, do you understand what I’m saying now?

The fact that we didn’t have the most recent service (for the reasons already outlined) or check the oil every month, whilst in hindsight, was clearly carless (I have learned my lesson), did not in any way contribute to the failure. It’s a totally separate issue according to the Ford Service Centre mechanic.

I will not be using this forum again – just a bunch of idiots taking every opportunity to kick others whilst they’re down. I really hope none of you ever go through what we are.

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi (08) - Ford refuse to help charity - turbo failure warning - mss1tw
clearly carless

Very clearly. :o(

It's like speaking to 2 year olds. I think I'll go and post on the chimp forum, I'll have more luck getting them to understand basic concepts like cause and effect.

Remember to keep breathing and wipe when you’re finished.

You obviously believe its other peoples fault and you are totally innocent and want qualified engineers to take your side and when they don't then they are all wrong.The reason you check the oil on a regular basis is to catch any problem that may be arising its quite simple really.Faults do not occur at predetermined times excatly when you have the car looked at as in your case every two years.Please do not criticise other people for your own shortcomings.

Collos - what's wrong with you, where did you get two years from? Perhaps you're getting this post mixed up with another, or perhaps you're just not that good with numbers. Bought in 09 (Ford dealership), serviced in 10 (Ford Service Centre), blew up in 11.

I can't explain it any more simply than that buddy.

Also, the bit about not being happy when qualified engineers don't take my side - they have taken my side - that's my point. I think you should read...a...bit...slower...and then offer your opinion.

Edited by Charity Man on 22/09/2011 at 19:47

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi (08) - Ford refuse to help charity - turbo failure warning - SMILEYSMILE

Hope you're not still here

Just re-read your post and wondered whether you where you referring to the unintentional pun (which I have to congratulate myself on) or whether you were just sticking the boot in for no good reason? If it’s the former – you’re a genius :), if the latter - not so much!

Edited by Charity Man on 22/09/2011 at 19:39

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi (08) - Ford refuse to help charity - turbo failure warning - mss1tw

No malice at all, I just can't resist a pun like that. :o)

Have Ford actually told you WHY the engine needs to be replaced? If the oil level is fine, changed at the right interval and the pump is maintaining pressure then it must be a manufacturing fault.

You should check more often though! You were lucky this engine didn't like a drink

Edited by mss1tw on 23/09/2011 at 09:48