Citroen Grand C4 Picasso - liability for repair costs for broken cambelt - pedagogmike

The cam belt failed two weeks agoon our car when we were on our way back to the ferry in france -towed on and off and back home. The car, a citroen c4 grand picasso had only done 30000 miles and has a full service history, bought from citroen dealer at 2 years old. The car has been sitting in a citroen service centre since then whilst we negociate with the garage and citroen who asked us to pay for an "investigation" to be conducted on the car. The mechanic sent citroen the findings two days ago; Citroen then asked for photos and based on these ignored the findings of the investigation (that the belt should not have failed) and told us they would not be paying anything towards the repairs as a water pump had been fitted at 18000 miles and this could potentially have caused the belt to fray - this was very unclear and we asked for a written response and copies of the photos. The mechanic was somewhat dubious about this explanatoina and suggested that the belt would have broken earlier if the fault was with the pump. The pump was incidentally fitted by citroen before we bought the car. We have had to ok the work priced at £2400 as we need a car and the garage have said they will have to start charging for it being on the ramp. JUst wondering if you have any advice?

Citroen Grand C4 Picasso - liability for repair costs for broken cambelt - Cris_on_the_gas

Should have got it fixed in France. Would probally have found a Citroen dealer or good local mechanic to do a better job at fraction of cost. The breakdown chap probally had an uncle/cousin or mate who would do the job.

Citroen Grand C4 Picasso - liability for repair costs for broken cambelt - bonzo dog

Hi Peda.......How old is the car, please?

Citroen Grand C4 Picasso - liability for repair costs for broken cambelt - pedagogmike

hi the car is 4 years old

Citroen Grand C4 Picasso - liability for repair costs for broken cambelt - sam87

Hi peda

I dont know what engine your picasso is bit i thought i should tell you my 1.6 hdi 110 hp 308 also needed a new water pump fitted at about 28000 miles but at the time peugeot said that they would fit a new timing belt and pulleys also as a procaution. So in my eyes citroen hasnt completed the job properly and should take full responsability for the broken belt.

I hope you get sorted out quickly and with out being outa pocket. Id maybe try a different dealer.

Citroen Grand C4 Picasso - liability for repair costs for broken cambelt - mrstiggy

Hi, just wondering how you got on in the end with Citroen. My grand C4 picasso is in a Citroen garage at the moment. I only went in as it had overheated twice and now they have said I need the head gasket replacing, the water pump and the cam belt, as well as all the extra's that go with that (including 10 hours labour). They say it will be £1500.