Toyota Avensis - After a 60 or 11 plate Avensis estate - daveyK_UK

Hi,

does anyone have any experience of the current Toyota Avensis?

Im after the 1.8 petrol in TR or above spec in the estate body but would put up with a saloon.

Some questions.

Is the 1.8 engine adequate for the car?

are they as reliable as I expect a toyota to be?

Wil lthe estate be more desirable in 4 years time than the saloon?

Is it worth considering the entry level t2 trim?

for medium to long term ownership, is this a better buy than the 1.8 tsi skoda octavia?

and can anyone reccomend a reasonable toyota dealers? Ive been told toyota world in solihull are meant to be ok at doing deals?

Toyota Avensis - After a 60 or 11 plate Avensis estate - corax

I only have experience of the old shape Avensis. I have a 2007 1.8 petrol. I find that the engine is perfectly adequate for the size of car with good economy - 38mpg without really trying including stop/start town use, easily mid 40's on the motorway. The valvetronic engine in the later models is rated by HJ and probably superior to my engine. No turbo's to fail at high mileage and no cambelts to change either.

The cars are extremely reliable. My dads Avensis (owned 5 years) has had a handbrake cable and the servo motor for the fuel filler flap failed. Thats it.

For a large car, they are very reasonable to run cost wise. It's not a car for the driving enthusiast, but the longer you own one, the more you realise it's been very well designed to just get on with the job without breaking.

As for deciding between an Octavia or Avensis, you'd have to drive them and find out which you prefer.

Toyota Avensis - After a 60 or 11 plate Avensis estate - Avant

Agree with Corax - drive both and see which suits you better.

The Octavia 1.8 TSI is livelier and the handling a bit sharper, but if your driving style is relaxed you'll find the Avensis equally satisfactory: the Toyota isn't a car to set the world alight, but that isn't a quality that everyone wants.

Toyota Avensis - After a 60 or 11 plate Avensis estate - gordonbennet

Toyota's are always reliable and Mr T stands by his product.

Do you want a dealer who does the right thing or gives you the cheapest price?, if it's the former try Sims Toyota, Northampton, family owned with an excellent service dept headed by a highly competent and knowledgeable lady service manager.

Toyota Avensis - After a 60 or 11 plate Avensis estate - wrangler_rover

I got a new Toyota Avensis 2 litre diesel T2 Tourer as a company car in March 2009, it's now done 97k miles.

I deliberately chose the basic T2 specification because I wanted the minimum benefits in kind liability and I wanted steel wheels not alloys.

Long term thoughts:

The original factory fit tyres were bridgestones, the fronts lasted 37.5 k miles, these were replaced with Michelin Energy which lasted until 93k miles, draw your own conclusions about tyre life.

The car averages 56 mpg, I admit most of my driving is long runs, motorways & A roads and I try to plan early starts to beat the traffic.

The estate really swallows a load, I've had a single divan bed in the back with the rear door shut and regularly carry 2 biles in the back.

Problems: One of the actuators on the electronic parking brake failed at 68k miles, the car was out of warranty, I don't know if the repair was charged as the car is a leased vehicle but the cost was something like £675 for the actuator, 2.1/2 hours to fit plus VAT. The clutch also needed replacing at 72k miles but I put this down to the clutch is fighting the parking brake auto release every time you set off.

In conclusion, I like the brand, I like the Toyota ethos, I like my main dealer, Listers Toyota in Lincoln, nothing is too much trouble for them. I am so impressed with Toyota that we traded my wifes Skoda Fabia in for a Toyota Yaris.

Hope this helps.

Toyota Avensis - After a 60 or 11 plate Avensis estate - Sam49

I had a brand new rental saloon 1.8 automatic a few months back (can't remember the spec). When I fist saw it my heart sank - smallish engine, auto transmission...

...But my initial fears were totally banished once on the move - it was quiet, relaxed, and surprisingly powerful. I was very, very impressed - usually hire cars all merge into one but this stood out as a good one.

Look at the review on this website by HJ; he too raves about the 1.8 engine.

Inside it was all very Toyota - straightforward, spacious, good quality, comfortable.

Toyota Avensis - After a 60 or 11 plate Avensis estate - Phil F.

Hi,I also have a previous 1.8 auto,05,generally speaking probably the best car I have owned and I have got through many over the years.It feels extremely safe,comfortable,very smooth drive with reasonable economy for a biggish auto.My only very slight gripe is a bit to much road noise,but I am very fussy!...I believe the new model is a big improvement on mine so that must be some motor,I would love one.As for the dealers I have dealt with three in different areas,all superb.Actually I have been looking to down size for ages now,only for economy,and still am but I am finding it very hard to prize myself out of this Avensis!

Toyota Avensis - After a 60 or 11 plate Avensis estate - madf

Over the past 20 years I have driven Audis, BMWs, Mercedes, and Toyota. The best service and the cheapest? Toyota..

The most expensive? Mercedes.

The most unreliable? Audi.

The most reliable? BMW and Toyota - nothing went wrong apart from wear and tear items.. brakes and tyres.

We have three Toyota dealers within a 20 mile radius. They will and do compete on price - for most things. Try ringing around for a service...

I can recommend Pinkstones Stoke on Trent... for service and price.Excellent.

Edited by madf on 20/08/2011 at 16:37

Toyota Avensis - After a 60 or 11 plate Avensis estate - NARU

Pay attention to the service history if buying nearly new.

I was looking for a 1-year old landcruiser. Most at the MrT showrooms were ex hire, but hadn't had their first service (10,000 miles/1 year) on time. I found it hard to get a straight answer on whether this had invalidated the 3 year warranty. All I got were assurances that the dealer would look after me.

I eventually found an 11-month old one < 10,000 miles.

Edited to add: vehicle and dealer have been first class. Now up to 4.5 years old, no breakdowns. A couple of small warranty fixes.

Edited by Marlot on 20/08/2011 at 18:37

Toyota Avensis - After a 60 or 11 plate Avensis estate - daveyK_UK

Toyota have announced they are face lifting and changing the Avensis at the start of 2012.

Can I expect a signficant saving on the current model if I hang fire until December?