I bought a Ford Transit with FSH but one invoice is missing, and now Ford warranty will not cover a broken cam belt - what should I do?

I purchased my '57-reg van in July 2009. It has a Ford warranty until December 2010 and had done 25,000 miles. It has now done 40,000 miles, but on 3 May 2010 the cam belt broke. The van is at Bristol St Motors Cheltenham and has been off the road for 15 days. The Ford warranty people are saying that because I cannot provide an invoice for the 15,000 mile service they will not cover it under the warranty, even though I did not own the vehicle then.

I bought the van from a local Ford dealer with a full service history and I have provided my invoices for work done, but I cannot get the invoices from the previous owner as they have gone into liquidation. Ford are saying that without this outstanding invoice the vehicle is not covered under the warranty. What should I do?

Asked on 20 May 2010 by david clinton

Answered by Dan Harrison
Have you got any idea where the van was serviced by the previous owner? If you do, they may be able to provide you with a duplicate invoice from their records, if you explain what's happened, as long as you can prove you are now the legitimate owner.