Astra GSI 16v 1997 2.0 with 111000km - How is MAF sensor and IAT sensor used - Ryan2.0

Hi, Wonder if someone could shed a bit more light on how these things operate.

I read several articles on the function of the MAF and IAT sensors, and am pretty sure I understand the concepts behind them.

The problem is, when I start the car, and the temperature is about 12 degrees C, then the car runs perfectly, when the outside temperature is about 7 degrees C and lower or 15 degrees C and higher, then the car has problems idling when coming off a load, such as when you come to a corner or intersection, (depress clutch, and foot of petrol), then the engine stalls.

This problem only presents itself for the first 2km of actual driving. I still have the problem if I just leave the engine idling for about 10mins before setting off.

I suspect that after doing a bit of driving some other sensors are coming into play to balance the fuel mixture a bit more, but when starting out, something is out of balance.I just don't quite understand the process of which sensors are used during the initial startup of the engine, vs. later on while driving.

Question: Can someone maybe shed some more light on the startup vs. running mode and which sensors are used to control mixture?

My next step will be to replace the IAT sensor, (it is cheaper than the MAF) and since it seems so very specifically triggered by temperature.

Thanks,

Edited by Ryan2.0 on 15/08/2011 at 06:01