Peugeot 206 1.4 HDI SW - Peugeot 206 1.4HDI poor fuel ecomomy - scole01234

Hi, I have just purchased a 206 1.4 HDI SW with 85K on the clock. Typically when i collected the car it was on empty, I put 5 litres in which did not even register on the fuel guage, I drove 5 miles down the road and filled it to the brim with another 40 litres (strange as according the handbook it has a 50 litre tank???) I drove home (about 40 miles and the needle did not move off full, later in the day I drove 5 miles and the guage dropped to 3/4 full. If the guage is accurate this means I have used 2.5 gallons to do 45 miles, about 18mpg. The reason I bought this was for economy!!!! I have no idea where to start, the car runs fine, starts fine. I am worried now in case I have bought a lemon. Any advice woud be appreciated. Thanks

Peugeot 206 1.4 HDI SW - Peugeot 206 1.4HDI poor fuel ecomomy - unthrottled

ha ha! Your fuel tank is an irregular shape so the gauge doesn't accurately indicate anything. Your engine can't really turn fuel into nothing without other symptoms. Wait until the gauge is at zero, brim, the tank, then recalculate. I know that's a long wait, but if you start trying to estimate a 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 tank and extrapolate you'll end up with bipolar results. I know-I used to do it!

hi

Thanks for this, I will see what happens over the next few days, I gather that it would be impossible for a 1.4 to use this much fuel as no other road user would be able to see the road :-).... Hopefully it is as you have suggested, fingers crossed..

You can make sure that you don't have any dragging brake discs or a handbrake that isn't releasing properly. That could take a chunk out of your fuel economy.

Peugeot 206 1.4 HDI SW - Peugeot 206 1.4HDI poor fuel ecomomy - Peter.N.

A friend of mine has one of these and gets 70-80 mpg on long trips so I would think you should be able to average 50 mpg unless you are permananty in traffic, drive like a lunatic or its auto.

Peugeot 206 1.4 HDI SW - Peugeot 206 1.4HDI poor fuel ecomomy - daveyjp

OP - you have used some very arbitary assumptions and guesstimations to try and prove your point that you are getting poor mpg.

I'd expect that car with a 50 litre tank to get a minimum of 400 miles between fill ups. My dad used to get 45mpg from his Fiesta 1.4TDCi (same engine) when teaching driving.

Peugeot 206 1.4 HDI SW - Peugeot 206 1.4HDI poor fuel ecomomy - injection doc

Unthrottled is spot on.

i used to own a 2061.4 HDi and it was berilliant on fuel ! 50-60 running about and 60-70 easy on a run, if you drove like a nun it was 70 mpg plus, but the fuel gauge was a waste of space.

As you have been advised, fill to the brim, not just till the nozzle trips and then drive 3-400 miles and refill. Calculate your MPG then

Thanks for everybodies advice, I am pleased to say that after doing another 100 miles today, the fuel was between half and three quarters, I thought I would fill it up again. I was so relieved that it only took 12.5 litres, with a total milage of 150 miles, so about 55mpg, guess what though the fuel guage still hasn't gone back up, I guess I have a problem with the sender unit. Is it easy to change this, or do I need to take the tank out?

Thanks again for all your help.

PS I checked the brakes as well in a very primative way. I took the handbrake off and the car rolled very easily with a push, so they can't be binding much.

Or take it for a run in which you don't use the brakes much and (gingerly touch the wheels and discs when you stop. The latter should be cool, the former only warm. If the discs are roasting hot, the pads are binding.

I doubt there is much wrong with the gauge. Like I said, the tank is an irregular shape and moulded around the floorpan. The progress of the needle probably won't follow the propoprtion of the tank that is full. It's really just to indicate if the tank is full or empty!