SEAT Ibiza III - 2002 SEAT Ibiza 130bhp 1.9tdi - Lord Laughton

Hello,

Is the interval between sevices on this engine 10k? Cam belt/ timing belt and water pump approx 60k?

SEAT Ibiza III - 2002 SEAT Ibiza 130bhp 1.9tdi - oldtoffee

If it is on a fixed interval service regime then yes 10k. If it's on longlife regime then the engine management decides for you and it is usually around 18k but depends on type of driving eg mainly town or easy motorway. That engine is very fussy about the type of oil it has to have and many say 10k oil and filter changes are much better for the longevity of the engine and injectors.

Cambelt - it should have had one change already. VW say 4 years, 40k but many in the know say that's VW scare tactics and that 5 years, 60k or even longer is safe. If you ring VW Customer Services, Milton Keynes and give them your chassis number they'll tell you what it is supposed to be. I had a Skoda with the same engine and they gave me 85k kilometres or 5 years whichever sooner. Plenty of discussion on this if you use the site search engine.

SEAT Ibiza III - 2002 SEAT Ibiza 130bhp 1.9tdi - Lord Laughton

Thanks for your response. I have seen this car advertised on an 02 plate at a dealer.1 previous owner FSH upto 52k and a cambelt water pump change then. But dealer cannot verify any service history after that and its now on 82k. So 30k with/without (possible) service history seems a bit of gamble to me. Maybe that is why its up for 3k. I shall keep looking for a clean example with this engine in.

SEAT Ibiza III - 2002 SEAT Ibiza 130bhp 1.9tdi - unthrottled

VW say 4 years, 40k but many in the know say that's VW scare tactics and that 5 years, 60k or even longer is safe.

Most modern engines have one camshaft to operate the exhaust valves, and another to operate the inlet valves and use a separate high pressure pump to pressurise the fuel.

The PD engine uses one camshaft to do all three operations-the belt has a lot of stress imposed on it and I would treat the service intervals with respect.

Edited by unthrottled on 14/06/2011 at 18:21

SEAT Ibiza III - 2002 SEAT Ibiza 130bhp 1.9tdi - pd

I'm pretty sure VW still say 60k for these engines. They revised the petrol 1.4 and 1.6's to 40k due to plastic tensioners failing but I think they left the diesels at 60k.

In fairness the PD engine is not known for early cambelt failures - obviously they can happen - but it isn't a "big thing" as it is on some engines.

SEAT Ibiza III - 2002 SEAT Ibiza 130bhp 1.9tdi - 12345oncei

My 2000 Ibiza had 60k interval it was a 1.9 sdi