Trading in a bike after MOT expiry - Jugg

I have just ordered a new motorcycle but it is unlikely to be availabe for collection before the MOT on my current bike expires. I don't particularly want to pay for a new MOT just for a few days use. I know that it is acceptable to take a vehicle to a test centre after the certificate has expired for the purpose of an MOT test but this dealer is around 25 miles from home. The dealer is fully aware that the cert will have expired so I am not trying to pull any flanker on him. Where do I stand on this one? Can I just book a test with the dealership or am I obliged to take the bike to a test centre close to home?

Trading in a bike after MOT expiry - LucyBC

The rules do not confine you to any test centre - so you can book the car in for an MOT with the dealer on the delivery date and be covered under the current rules even though there are nearer test centres.

Trading in a bike after MOT expiry - Cris_on_the_gas

You should be OK, but the rules do state that the bike should be MoT'ed at a nearby test centre. As this is a Motorbike and there are fewer bike MOT stations than car ones you should be OK with a 25 mike ride to do this. Just be careful although all the MoT booking is done on computer now so Police/VOSA will know if an MoT has been booked or not. So just a verbal from the dealer that MoT booked when it actually hasn't might land you both in hot water.

Trading in a bike after MOT expiry - Dwight Van Driver

Reg 6 (2) (a)(i) Motor Vehicles (Tests)Regs 1981 permits a vehicle without a Test Certificate for the purposes of submitting it by PREVIOUS ARRANGEMENT for an examination.

(A similar exemption a-pplies in relation to Excise duty)

There is nothing stipulated that it has to be taken to the nearest Test Centre therefore permissable to take it 25 miles.

The stipulation is that the Test has to be pre-booked and the purpose of the journey is for it to be tested. Taking it then cancelling the test will not comply.

Using this exemption to Plod on the way if stopped will (or should) cause him to check with the station days later........

dvd

Trading in a bike after MOT expiry - Jugg

Thanks everyone for your comments. I am aware of the prebook requirement so I'll go ahead and book with the selling dealer and sort the cost out with him. I ain't going to argue over the cost of a bike MOT.