Vauxhall Corsa B 1995 - 1.2 petrol - Blowing brake light bulbs - Waino

After noticing that the driver's side brake light bulb had blown on my son's Corsa, I replaced it, checked that the new bulb worked, then fitted the holder and cover back into position. We checked it again, fully expecting it to be working OK - but it immediately blew again. Something must have gone wrong fairly recently as, only last month, the car passed its MoT test.

Has anyone any suggestions as to what might be the cause of the problem? I read somewhere that a poor contact could lead to reduced voltage which could damage a bulb though this would surprise me because AFAIK, dimmer switches operate by reducing the voltage to a bulb.

I should add that the replacement bulb had been stored in my garage for many years. Is it possible that 'old' bulbs just aren't very good???

Vauxhall Corsa B 1995 - 1.2 petrol - Blowing brake light bulbs - injection doc

did the bulb go white ? if so it had lost its gas with age, or did it go black or silver ?

Always check the connections and earth as well plus make sure you have quality bulbs ! some bulbs on the market are appalling and have very short life !

Sometimes worth checking the alternator output, making sure its around 14.4 volts much more than 15 and this doesnt help bulbs but normally your engine light would be flashing up first before bulbs start blowing

Thanks, doc, the bulbs were slightly blackened - definitely not white. I'll try again with some better quality bulbs. I know from experience that bulb quality can be crucial - we found this with headlight bulbs on my wife's Focus.

I have got a multimeter; could you tell me how to measure alternator output? For example, do I need to disconnect the battery etc?

Thanks again.

Vauxhall Corsa B 1995 - 1.2 petrol - Blowing brake light bulbs - injection doc

Jut put your voltmeter onto the battery connections and you should be reading approx 14.2-14.4 volts,

Your quite correct quality of bulbs is important but someone will be along in a min to say they bought 100 for ten pence and 10 years later there still going ! LOL

Vauxhall Corsa B 1995 - 1.2 petrol - Blowing brake light bulbs - Peter.N.

There are only two things which will make bulbs fail, either excess voltage, which has been covered or vibration, I have even known slamming the tailgate to cause it, otherwise you must have some duff bulbs.

You chaps were absolutely correct, and I thank you for your replies!

I bought a new bulb (branded, Lucas) and before fitting it, I checked the voltage across the battery terminals - it read 12.4v. (engine not running).

I took out the bulb mount and realised that earlier I had told a porkie - whilst the first bulb had been blackened, the second bulb had gone distinctly milky. This fitted entirely with doc's statement about blackened and whitened bulbs - the second bulb must have simply gorn past its sell by date! It was, in all probability, ancient.

I sprayed the contacts with contact cleaner (used mainly for pots on the electric guitars), put the new bulb into place, and hey presto - happy bunnies. The moral of the tale is 'beware of bulbs that have been in your garage for years and years, even though they are still in their boxes.

I suppose I could simply have done what the rest of the country's motorists seem to do and left it 'til the next MoT. LOL

Thanks again .......... Waino.

Vauxhall Corsa B 1995 - 1.2 petrol - Blowing brake light bulbs - Dynamic Dave

There are only two things which will make bulbs fail, either excess voltage, which has been covered or vibration,

Under voltage can too. The filament can carbonise, giving a darkened or metallic look on the glass.

"Under voltage can too. The filament can carbonise, giving a darkened or metallic look on the glass"

But don't dimmer switches act by reducing voltage? Or am I getting my o-level physics all wrong?

Vauxhall Corsa B 1995 - 1.2 petrol - Blowing brake light bulbs - Peter.N.

Under voltage can cause deterioration but not failure in the time span being reffered to.

Yes, dimmer switches do work by reducing voltage and thus current, it probably increases the life of mains powered bulbs.