Why are Hyundai and KIA's extended guarantees so successful?

I seem to remember that Daewoo used extended guarantees to promote their cars in the 1990s, that I don't recall was particularly successful at the time. Whilst realising that the quality of the car is paramount, what do you think are the other reasons for the success of KIA and Hyundai in this method of marketing?

Asked on 31 March 2012 by PB, Cheshire

Hyundais and KIAs are now good quality, decent to drive, nice looking, reliable and sensibly priced. None of the current range have timing belt engines, which saves owners £500 every few years.