Vx Corsa '08 - Oil overfilled. - happyvaux

Hi,

3 weeks ago I had my Corsa serviced by Vx dealer. I checked the oil level yesterday and it's over the max on the dipstick. I can also smell an oil smell which was the same smell as when one of my breather hoses split last year.

As the dealer is 20 miles from me, what's the eassiest way to remove just a little oil?

Pete

Vx Corsa '08 - Oil overfilled. - Armitage Shanks {p}

Drain some out yourself or take it to any garage, franchised or otherwise and let them do it. It isn't a main dealer job. My local dealer charges £10 + vat for 15 minutes on a ramp

Thanks, but the question was how do I drain a little oil.

Do I do it by the sump plug loosened a bit, or can I syphon some from the top?

Won't the sump plug be leaky after doing this too?

Cheers,

Pete

Edited by happyvaux on 09/05/2011 at 22:32

Vx Corsa '08 - Oil overfilled. - gordonbennet

2 ways, either get underneath in your muckiest clothes, remove the drain plug (suggest engine cold), let oil run up your arm and down your neck and all over the floor whilst trying desperately to rethread the sump plug.

Or use a Pela vacuum pump to suck some oil out.

Or do as AS suggests.

Vx Corsa '08 - Oil overfilled. - bathtub tom

How far over max is it?

Ok, many thanks for the info guys.

Vx Corsa '08 - Oil overfilled. - davmal
Try this for a reasonably priced bit of kit:

www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-...t
Vx Corsa '08 - Oil overfilled. - Chris M

Or remove oil filter, empty it, re-fit, run engine for a few seconds, remove oil filter.............

And no I wouldn't worry about running the engine without oil pressure for a few seconds.

Thanks for replies,

I think from looking at the dipstick it's about 1/4 of the difference (between min & max) over the level.

Davmal....that's a cracking bit of kit for that price

ChrisM......cheers. This might be my best chance, but I'm not sure how much oil would stay in the filter as it's mounted upside down in this car & I reckon it'd just drain back down out of it. Maybe it'll retain enough though.

Cheers guys

Vx Corsa '08 - Oil overfilled. - bathtub tom

>> it's about 1/4 of the difference (between min & max) over the level

I'd not worry about it.

Doesn't overfilling pose a risk to the oil seals though? even for that amount?

I suppose it equates to 1/4 of a pint or 1/4 of a litre over. Until I check the handbook, I don't know if the amount between min & max is pint or litre on the dipstick.

And the reason I looked at the level was whilst checking the breathers because of that oil smell.

Pete

Vx Corsa '08 - Oil overfilled. - SteveLee

Just over the max in a petrol car I wouldn't be bothered about it.