Peugeot 406 - ABS fault - robdub

Hi, T reg. hdi. When I brake the abs kicks in. I have changed the discs all round and put new pads on. Yesterday the abs warning came up on the dash but this stopped the abs kicking in when I braked. I tirned the engine off and restarted. This got rid of the warning light but then the abs kicked in every time I braked.Any ideas very welcome. thanks

Peugeot 406 - ABS fault - Peter D

Did you change the discs and pads before the problem or after. I suspect a dislodged or faulty ABS sensor on one of the wheels. A diagnostic check will identify which one. Regards Peter

Peugeot 406 - ABS fault - injection doc

I suspect one of the reluctor rings has a tiny tiny crack in it & is loose on the drive shaft !

I suspect one of the reluctor rings has a tiny tiny crack in it & is loose on the drive shaft !

Thanksm can you explain what a reluctor ring is and where I willl find it

Did you change the discs and pads before the problem or after. I suspect a dislodged or faulty ABS sensor on one of the wheels. A diagnostic check will identify which one. Regards Peter

Hi Peter, I had the problem before I changed the discs. The discs were worn and had a lot of rust on them, I changed them thinking that was the problem with the ABS,

Where abouts are the abs sensors, are they easy to replace. I can,t afford a diagnostic at the moment so will have to go for trial and error

Peugeot 406 - ABS fault - injection doc

"Where abouts are the abs sensors, are they easy to replace. I can,t afford a diagnostic at the moment so will have to go for trial and error"!

Very expensive way of doing things ! a quick diagnostic check approx £25.00 should narrow it down to which wheel, and if the resistance reading for the sensor is "0" then it will be a sensor. If its driven whilst plugged in and the live data read and the sensors OK it will indicate which reluctor ring is the problem. I has a customer who refused to pay for Diag's on a Carlton 2.0CDX and sum numpty relived him of £380 for 4 wheel sensors all done by guess work and he then came back skint and wanted a diag test and in minuets we found a faulty relay with a voltage drop and the part was £28.00 and fitted in about 10 seconds

Peugeot 406 - ABS fault - crisb

Hi robdub,

Did you find out what the problem was?

I have exactly the same problem with my 406.

Chris