Tensioner loose - power steering failure - Peugeot 306 - gavmoffat

Hi all

Posted yesterday about the loss of power steering on my 306 and got a few replies (thanks Neil). Took it to local garage today and it seems that the tensioner, which was supposedly replaced by the cowboy that sold me it, has come loose, resulting in a slipping belt and intermittent loss of power steering.

He only had a quick look as he's busy till Thursday, but said that if it's just come loose due to being badly fitted it could be bolted back on easy enough. If it's been stripped or has broken though it will cause more of a problem. I'm absolutely bricking it now as much of what I've read online about tensioner failure ends up in writeoffs, has anyone here had a similar experience and how much did it cost?

Note that apart from a screeching and loss of power steering at low speeds the car drives and feels fine, so I don't think there's been any valve or piston damage at least.

Tensioner loose - power steering failure - Peugeot 306 - FP

You have a basic misunderstanding here. What drives the power steering pump is the auxiliary belt, not the cambelt. It's the cambelt breaking that causes valve/piston damage.

However, you need to be aware that an auxiliary belt breaking or coming adrift could cause big problems if it gets drawn behind the cover into the cambelt.

You do need to get it fixed fast and I suggest you avoid driving the car until it is fixed, if possible.

Tensioner loose - power steering failure - Peugeot 306 - gavmoffat

Thanks for that, fingers crossed it's not a huge job.

Just need to get it three miles to the mechanics, will crawl along!

Tensioner loose - power steering failure - Peugeot 306 - smed706

hi gav good look with repair and hope its just a basic tighten up job

good luck and take care buddy

kind regards Neil

Tensioner loose - power steering failure - Peugeot 306 - dieselnut

The crank pulley that drives the auxillary belt is of sandwich construction of metal & rubber. They often start to disintegrate & go oval. This puts a vibration into the tensioner & can cause it to come loose or fracture.

Get the crank pulley checked first.