Renault Scenic II 1.9 dci (2004) - Renault Scenic II 1.9 dci (2004) NIGHTMARE - thegrant2011

My Renault Scenic II 1.9 dci has loss of power, gutless compared to what it was, and is showing check emissions and check injection messages on display. We put it into garage xause it was due for all its belts to be changed anyway so it went in for that and the garage said the problem was egr valve so we had it replaced. Picked it up and after about 2 and a half mile the messages showed up again and with the same messages and it lost its pwer again, the same as when it went in!! Took it back and they cannot find anything wrong with it, except the only thing it showed when plugged back in was "turbo pressure regulation fault" but 6 months previous to this my car had a whole new turbo fitted as last one blew plus mechanics checked it when fitting egr valve this time. Theres no noises and no smoke, nothing, what do I do with it, or what could it be?? Its just a nightmare a schizophrenic nightmare at that. Any advice on any of this would be greatly appreciated as patience is growing increasingly thin and it not gonna survive much longer...Thanks

Renault Scenic II 1.9 dci (2004) - Renault Scenic II 1.9 dci (2004) NIGHTMARE - unthrottled

You say the last turbo 'blew'. Turbos don't normally break unless they are starved of oil or coolant. There should be an underlying problem behind the failure.

'Turbo pressure regulation fault' means the wastegate is failing to operate correctly. The engine is gutless because the ECU is witholding fuelling to protect the turbo from over speeding. Your mechanic needs to check the N75 valve (controls the wastegate) and the wastegate itself for correct operation. This is a fairly generic problem that a competent mechanic should be able to tackle...

Renault Scenic II 1.9 dci (2004) - Renault Scenic II 1.9 dci (2004) NIGHTMARE - thegrant2011

Thank u for replying so quickly and when the turbo went 6 months ago that was when we were told that it was mainly down to the Garrett turbo's so we had a KKK put on it this time, and to be honest we didn't think as to why it broke at the time but even after the new one was fitted the car was still showing check emissions here there and everywhere. But when we took it back on the day we picked it up it shown that message the mechanic did explain that to get to the turbo again he would literally have to strip the engine down (again) but it is going back into the garage tomorrow so I will print ur answer and take it to him but is there anything else it could be as I did originally think that it might be something to do with the fuel management system or fuel filter but now you've explained that it all makes sense now. Is there anything else that it could cause or anything else that could make the situation better or worse? Is this a fairly common fault (hopefully easily rectified )? Any further information would be great as don't want to have happen again what has just occured by thinking that the problem is fixed when really its going to take a lot more money and work to fix. ?

Renault Scenic II 1.9 dci (2004) - Renault Scenic II 1.9 dci (2004) NIGHTMARE - unthrottled

Garrett are a widely respected turbo manufacturer, their turbos are highly regarded There's no reason for you to question the failure of a turbo-I only ask the qustion because, from experience, any lack of engine performace is blamed on the turbo and the root cause usually lies elsewhere.

It is not necessary to strip the engine in order to access the turbo-the turbo is attached to the exhaust manifold-although it can be tricky to raccess in tight engine bays.

The problem of wastegates sticking closed and triggering a fault which effectively puts the engine in limp home mode is very common in turbo diesel cars. It should be easily rectified by ensuring that the turbo wastegate and it's control are functioning properly. Off hand I don't know if your turbo uses a pneumatic or electronic wastegate control (although the principal is the same). It should be a cheap problem to fix.

renault have a compisation sceam for garrett turbos they have recorded that this is a comon fault and pay 25% back if you have to renew the old turbos with new one is there any other fault that you know off