peugeot 205 CJ 1.4 - Engine Swap - a7mick
Hello
I have been offered a low mileage 1.4 Petrol engine from a 206,without ancilliaries. I would like to use it to replace the 1.4 petrol engine in the 205.Can I transfer all the manifold /carb etc from the old engine , or are the heads different. I have a well equipped home workshop, and some machining facilities.
Regards
Mick
peugeot 205 CJ 1.4 - Engine Swap - madf

I take it you have wiring diagrams for both and have enough electrical expertise to wire in the 206 ECU ?

A major task which I for one would think is not worth the effort.

I take it you have wiring diagrams for both and have enough electrical expertise to wire in the 206 ECU
A major task which I for one would think is not worth the effort.

No I want to fit the original carb and manifold setup to the later engine; i just need to know if the cylinder haed on the later engine will let me do this, assuming all the engine mountings etc will fit.
peugeot 205 CJ 1.4 - Engine Swap - madf

So you are assuming:

the clutch will fit

the gearbox will fit

the power output spigot from the engine will fit the gearbox.

the clutch release bearing on the old gearbox will fit.

You can drive the timing from the crankshat sensor

the valve timing is suitable for a carburettor. (no chance with modern lean burn to meet emissions regs).

etc

etc

You are a braver man than I.

Edited by madf on 13/04/2011 at 19:00

peugeot 205 CJ 1.4 - Engine Swap - unthrottled

I don't think the valve timing will affect the operation of the carburettor (unless it was really wild which it isn't).

I think you're right about the spark timing problem, unless the doner engine still uses a distributer. In any case there's nothing to be gained from swapping a carb onto an EFI engine.

Thanks for your reply.
I was hoping for answers to all the points you mention, pointing out those similarities and those differences which need to be overcome in order to do the swap. It seem that all everyone can offer is 'more questions than answers'.

In the absence of constructive suggestions I'll just pop the old engine out, rebore it , fit new pistons, and valve stem seals.