Riley Lynx 12/4 1936 - Oil Filters - lynx

I bought this car last year and now doing my first oil/filter change. The oil filter system has been modified to accept a more modern filter - probably around 1970's and I think fitted to British Leyland cars of that era. The filter I have removed is a "Halfords HOF209". Does anyone know - is this filter still available and if so where from?

Riley Lynx 12/4 1936 - Oil Filters - dadbif
www.maestro.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=9143

Thanks. I think you have got me on the right track.

Riley Lynx 12/4 1936 - Oil Filters - Talking Hoarse

A quick Google suggests that a HOF 209 is for a Triumph 1300 /1500 (Spitfire etc) and maybe a BMC A+ (1275cc Marina etc) engine. Maybe suggest a trip to Andrew Page or Unipart or the like and ask them to cross ref the filter?

Good luck and I look forward to seeing the car out and about.

Thanks. I'll try Unipart tomorrow.

Riley Lynx 12/4 1936 - Oil Filters - Martin01

I assume you have sorted out your filter by now but a small cautionary note. Pre-war Riley 12/4 engines have the pressure relief valve AFTER the filter. Therefore very high pressures can be generated through the filter cannister and blow the internal filter tube to pieces, thereby rendering the filter useless. I assume you have the Blue Diamond conversion?

What you need is a filter that has a high flow rate (the 12/4 gear pump puts out over 6 galls per minute) together with an anti drain & pressure relief valve.

Fram make this filter under part number PH9566, equivalents are Halfords HOF233, Cooper Z831, Crossland/Unipart GFE248 & Mann W712/73.