vauxhall cavalier - voided insurance - brother776

hi all , i no i have done wrong now when i received a letter from my insurance company. it stated they i did not disclose a conviction IN10 , i was quite supprised to see this as i thought it was over 5 years ago so i thought i didn't need to admit it. now the letter i received stated i should send a letter back exsplaining the reason why i didn't disclose this , i sent one back and then today (2/03/2011) i received an email from my insurer stating my insurance is now voided and showed the date when my IN10 that is still on my name , now i rang the dvla and they have no record of this on my licence. so i have afew questions.....

where does the insurance companies get the info when the dvla dont even have it?

Now my insurance has been voided how long do i need to admit this ? is this like endorsments is it 5 years?

I Now no i did wrong and i understand that this may stay with me for ever but i can't seem to find info on voided insurance and how long it stays on there.

please be gentle as i no i did wrongly i just need to no this is all

Adam

vauxhall cavalier - voided insurance - Duncan112

IN10 should remain on the licence for 4 years, however some insurance companies ask if you have been convicted in the past X years which may well be longer than the period the endorsement remains on the licence.

The rehabilitation of offenders legislation also comes into play here and a high court decision in 2002 indicates that it is an offence for an insurance company to disadvantage a driver by referring to a spent conviction.

I would take this up with the Financial Ombudsman

vauxhall cavalier - voided insurance - LucyBC
If your insurer has advised that they have voided your policy then you are in a tricky position as you no longer appear to have cover. In those circumstances you need to cover the car elsewhere and then seek to resolve the current problem with your existing insurers.

Previous convictions are a "material fact" and need to be declared for up to five years. If your IN10 *was* in the last five years and was not declared then there are two options:

1. if your insurer does not take drivers with convictions they can withdraw your cover
2. if your insurer will take people with a conviction they can charge an uplift on the premium so you pay what you should have paid for your being a higher risk. This can be backdated to when you first took cover with them.

If your offence is older than five years then there should be no need to declare it and as Duncan112 says you have a potential FOS case but you need to make sure you are covered in the interim.

If you need further help with this write to me directly at asklucy@honestjohn.co.uk

yes i do not have cover anymore as they claim i did not disclose the IN10 but as i can not find my secound counter part i cant confirm when it was, and since i rang the DVLA they claimed they have no record at all of this as it drops off after 4 years so i couldn't even confirm the date my insurance company is qouting me in a email when the first time round the sent me a letter! i think thats damn right out of order! now i have this on my record a VOID! great! how long do i have to admit that? and to top it off i checked an insurance premiem with a date they qouted me. which in this case is in june and put down i have been voided and its gonna cost me 4k to insure my car! what a f***in joke!

vauxhall cavalier - voided insurance - Falkirk Bairn

Insurers have rules - some do not insure scrap dealers, some do not insure anyone with a criminal conviction.

Your fine was for IN10 - driving whilst uninsured - this may have been a slip of the mind or you drove knowing you were not covered.

Ins Co loooks at IN10 as a very serious offence - even if it was 4 years ago - they can choose to walk and / offer a VERY HIGH premium.

You made your bed and now you are forced to live with the consequences.

Other insurers might not be so harsh but the main Direct sellers would probably choose to walk rather than take the risk after IN10. You are probably in the same high risk lot as a Drink driving conviction - insurance is posssible but at a PRICE!

yes i no and it was a stupid mistake when it happened i no this. my question really is as its VOIDED my insurance i have got to declare this now and tell them the reason why so i have to declare a IN10 for ever! as it would seem that a VOID never can be removed. which i think is wrong i didnt mean to do it as i have always declared it on all of my insurers why change now. they only reason why i didnt is becouse i thought it was spent. but clearly its not. i have rang around and i have managed to find a more resonable price which is around 2k for someone in my predicament. it does make me laugh as im payin more for my insurance now then i did when i was 19 and back then i had more convictions..... and has it always been 5 years? in the claims and looses section on a qoute?

vauxhall cavalier - voided insurance - LucyBC

Offences count on your licence for three years from date of offence and show on your licence for four. Most insurance companies require declaration for five years.

Most don't know you have points until you try to claim when they will check your licence.

If they then discover you have points two actions are possible:

Some insurers will refuse to recover a driver with six points or more and will refuse to indemnify (pay out) on the grounds that they would not have accepted the risk had they been informed of it. Others (who will insure a driver with 6 points) will pay out but will want the uplift in premium for the price you would have paid for the period they have been covering you.

Most insurance proposals will raise the issue of whether you have *ever* been refused insurance or had a policy cancelled and will weight the risk accordingly. In many cases this will have been recorded on the vatious insurers and underwriters anti-fraud and information exchange databases.

The best move for you would be to locate the date of the offence and then challenge them on the facts or go through their appeals/complaints procedure to challenge the cancellation. If they are wrong on the facts - ie you did not have points that you should have declared it may be a case for the Ombudsman.

However nobody can help you unless you help yourself and not knowing when the offence was committed means there is no obvious way forward for you at this stage.

vauxhall cavalier - voided insurance - dacouch

"If they then discover you have points two actions are possible:

Some insurers will refuse to recover a driver with six points or more and will refuse to indemnify (pay out) on the grounds that they would not have accepted the risk had they been informed of it. Others (who will insure a driver with 6 points) will pay out but will want the uplift in premium for the price you would have paid for the period they have been covering you."

This is assuming the non disclosure is not deemed to be fraudulent / dilberate or clearly reckless in these cases the policy would be void from inception.

From what the OP has decribed It does not sound like they would faill into these cases but would be classed as inadvertent which as Lucy points out means the Insurer rewrites the policy on the basis they would have done had they been aware of the conviction. If they woudl have charged extra then they will require the extra, if they charged no extra then they wont charge any extra but if they would not have offered cover they will void the policy and refund the premium

i have managed too contact the FOS and i going to go through the complaints process with my insurer. I understand i did a silly mistake and hopefully in this out come i can get the VOID lifted and they allow me to cancel the insurance with a refund and leave with my tail inbetween my legs. As i don't want too admit a VOID for the rest my driving life due to a mistake i made getting the dates mixed up. i would like them to allow me to leave wth a refund. and a very large sorry on it. but i can only hope i guess i will keep this updated as and when i get info