Mercedes E320 Coupe - Insurance companies that will accpt snow tyres - robert fraser

Direct Dial have refused to cover me when I have snow tyres on the car. They state that they should only be fitted when it snows!! How crazy is that?!

Can anyone advise me of a sensible insurance company that will cover me in such circumstances? I drive often to Austria in winter where it is an offence NOT to have snow tyres.

My alternative is to fit All Season tyres from Vredestein which I understand are acceptable.

Robert Fraser

Mercedes E320 Coupe - Insurance companies that will accpt snow tyres - Collos25

There is a big difference between snow tyres and winter tyres which have got,

Mercedes E320 Coupe - Insurance companies that will accpt snow tyres - KB.
Can't say that your reply is particularly comprehensible...where does the 'which have got' fit in to the sentence?
Mercedes E320 Coupe - Insurance companies that will accpt snow tyres - robert fraser

they are winter tyres but called snowtrack and made by Vredestein. I realise now that perhaps I have caused a misunderstanding by referring to them as snow tyres. I will call Direct Line again and make it clear they are winter tyres.

Mercedes E320 Coupe - Insurance companies that will accpt snow tyres - KB.

I believe you will find that Direct Dial are in the minority now in refusing cover on winter tyres. The ABI have issued guidelines on this and suggested that customers receiving this sort of reply ask to be referred to call centre supervisors and above and the matter is usually sorted out. I have looked closely in to the matter of winter tyres and the only minor irritation is that some insurers ask to be notified when you swap them over... and swap them back - AND ....Some charge an admin. fee to do so. There are, now, stacks of companies who understand the issues of WT's and All Season tyres and see their advantages and don't make a fuss....although to be asked to notify them of fitting and removal is more common, but still not a problem. Just ask around and when getting quotes ask their policy on it and check for admin fees. Just a couple off the top of my head who don't object are...Adrian Flux, NFU Mutual, AA Insurance, LV, Co-op, Sky Insurance............etc. There is usually a stipulation that you don't deviate from the original SIZE of tyre circumference / width but that's not usually a problem. MyTyres, Camskill are major suppliers as well as Kwik Fit and many local suppliers. A quick Google of Winter Tyres will reveal all of above plus a load more. The Briskoda site has covered the topic in great depth.

Edited by KB. on 23/02/2011 at 19:19

Mercedes E320 Coupe - Insurance companies that will accpt snow tyres - Collos25

Missed the word "you" out sorry.

Mercedes E320 Coupe - Insurance companies that will accpt snow tyres - gordonbennet
If you referred to them as snow tyres when speaking to the call centre bod, then not surprsied they wont cover you.

They shouldn't be rejecting you for proper sized and specced/rated winter tyres.

If they are, escalate the conversation to a manager or put it in writing.
Mercedes E320 Coupe - Insurance companies that will accpt snow tyres - nortones2

Assuming you haven't fitted "snow tyres" which are studded or spiked, there are many references to the current stance of the ABI on winter tyres, which is strongly in favour assuming properly fitted etc. This one is helpful: todayinsurance.co.uk/winter-tyres-may-increase-you.../

Go to the management, or something resembling it!

Edited by nortones2 on 23/02/2011 at 21:48

Mercedes E320 Coupe - Insurance companies that will accpt snow tyres - Smileyman

I think you need to check your teminology to ensure you are asking the right question.

Winter tyres - tyres designed to work in colder weather conditons and give a superior level of grip in snow, ice etc than 'normal' summer tyres

Snow tyres - tyres - tyres with little studs sticking out designed to work on frozen snow / ice. If used on 'dry' road likely to damage road surface

Note. Are you keeping the same wheels or changing to a different size - if you replace the tyres on your original wheels AFAIK there is no need to tell the insurer that you have changed to a different tyre.

Mercedes E320 Coupe - Insurance companies that will accpt snow tyres - Hamsafar

The car's handbook usually states a variety of wheel sizes, tyre sizes, pressures, including winter and M+S tyres. As long as you fit these, there is no need to even tell the insurer.

Mercedes E320 Coupe - Insurance companies that will accpt snow tyres - TTToommy

Insurance Companies are making a mistake IF they are charging an additional premium just for using winter tyres - the confusion comes IF you are using different/better wheels, a slightly lower speed rating tyre is is acceptable/expected.

Winter tyres give better grip in every situation where the temp. is below around 7 degrees centigrade - remember winter tyres is the term when you are looking for tyres.

I've been lucky enough to get 4 bmw alloys from a famous web site selling "stuff" which are exactly the same as the ones I have on the car - I'll get new winter tyres and fit them to the "spare" alloys in November - I have run flats and its not uncommon for tyre fitters damage the alloys when levering the old tyres off

PS A friend mentioned he could not afford two sets of tyres BUTI pointed out that he'll keep his car 3/4 years and using winter tyres may mean he won't have to buy a new set of summer tyres in that period

Mercedes E320 Coupe - Insurance companies that will accpt snow tyres - gordonbennet
''I'll get new winter tyres and fit them to the "spare" alloys in November''

I respectfully suggest looking in the summer, if you leave it as late as November you'll be disappointed or well and truly debagged price wise.

In fact look every weekend on the usual sites, once in a while the right bargain comes along, so be ready.
Mercedes E320 Coupe - Insurance companies that will accpt snow tyres - oldtoffee

>>> respectfully suggest looking in the summer, if you leave it as late as November you'll be disappointed or well and truly debagged price wise. In fact look every weekend on the usual sites, once in a while the right bargain comes along, so be ready.

Good advice, for example Vredestein are shipping into the UK in June so buy then and pay around half the price the suppliers will be charging around November time. Nokians I bought in September 2010 were more than double the price in January with no Vredesteins in sight so demand hugely exceeds supply = profiteering.

Mercedes E320 Coupe - Insurance companies that will accpt snow tyres - TTToommy

thanks GordonB, I'll start looking after my summer hols