peugot 206 CC, maKE 2004 - air polution malfunction message - Mspeejay

i just a bit confused what this message means,,

after i drive about just 1 mile and 1/2 I stop and bought something then i start the car again, then this message came up with the engine icon ) lights lit up too, and its there while im driving, i did try to stop the engine running and re start again , and the message came up again and so is the red light ,

so i thought its because maybe the engine is too hot , so i put a little bit of water to the coolant, then the messages and red lights GONE ,,

what confused me is,, what really is the problem with it , coz when i put th ewater to the coolant , the water in there is still nearly full ??

any advise ? just in case its happen again ?

thaanks alot for ur time,,

Edited by Mspeejay on 27/01/2011 at 17:59

peugot 206 CC, maKE 2004 - air polution malfunction message - unthrottled

?

I'm confused by what your message means!

You drove a short distance. Stopped for a short time. Restarted the car, an error meassge 'air pollution malfunction' was displayed. You thought the engine had overheated, so you aded some water to the header tank and the message disappeared. Right?

Is the car petrol or diesel? We'll go from there...

OPPPS, SORRY I CONFUSED YOU,, X

ITS PETROL ..

peugot 206 CC, maKE 2004 - air polution malfunction message - unthrottled
That simplifies things somewhat.

It's probably caused by the readings from the exhaust Oxygen sensors being out of the specified range. there are two-one pre cat, and post cat to make sure the cat is working properly. Oxygen sensors are generally reliable. Possibilities are:

Cat is faulty-Quite unlikely unless something else has failed
Misfire-This is usually obvious to the driver
Wrong air mixture-this would point to air mass flow meter being faulty (or a poor electrical connection). This would tend to cause driveability problems.

If the car is driving properly, it really isn't serious. If the light comes on permanently, it'll need to go to a garage. There's not much point fiddling with things if you don't know what you're doing!

Thanks a lot Unthrottled .

hope i wont have any problems again, thank you ! x