Honda Civic - I know this car is clocked - brid

Hi

Not sure what to do. I was going to buy this car advertised at "Mileage: 54360" . Spoke to the guy who lives in Luton and is a mortguage advisor. He says that he also deals in cars and this is a one company owned car. The number plate is in the photo so I did a car check and it came back with 130000 odd miles on it. I am sending the links over to you to take a look at and 1 picture actually shows the speedo at 54360.

What am I supposed to do?

cgi.ebay.co.uk/2006-HONDA-CIVIC-ES-I-CTDI-BLACK-1-...2

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20104837452...p

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&it...4

below is the car check data with the mileage

Vehicle Information
Make & Model Honda Civic Es I-ctdi
VIN Check You have not performed a VIN check yet.
Engine Size 2204cc
Engine Number N22A21522709
First Registered 29 Sep 2006
Year Manufactured 2006
Former Keepers 1
Last Keeper Change The last recorded change of keeper occurred on 28 Jun 2010
Body 5 Door Hatchback
Colour Black
Fuel Heavy Oil
Security Markings This vehicle has not yet been protected against identity theft. Click here for more information
Purchase Receipt To activate your guarantee please download and complete the purchase receipt using one of the links below:
PDF Document Download PDF
Most computers will open PDF documents automatically, but you may need to download Adobe Reader.
Word Document Download Microsoft Word document
If you do not have Microsoft Word you can download the free Word Viewer appplication.

Vehicle Checks
Colour changes There is no record of this registration being subject to a colour change.
Plate Transfer There is no record of this registration being involved in a plate transfer.
Scrapped There is no record of this registration being scrapped.
Exported There is no record of this registration being exported.
Stolen There is no record of this registration being stolen.
Stolen & Recovered There is no record of this registration being stolen & recovered.
Insurance Write-off There is no record of this registration being written-off.
Vehicle I.D. Check There is no record of this registration being subject to a Vehicle Identity Check.

Recorded Mileages

We have the following mileages recorded for this registration:

* 138,260 miles recorded on 24 Nov 2010
* 109,263 miles recorded on 23 Nov 2009
* 88,622 miles recorded on 2 Feb 2009
* 86,713 miles recorded on 20 Jan 2009
* 86,713 miles recorded on 19 Jan 2009
* 75,956 miles recorded on 3 Oct 2008
* 73,069 miles recorded on 4 Sep 2008
* 65,653 miles recorded on 6 Jun 2008
* 62,985 miles recorded on 5 May 2008
* 50,162 miles recorded on 19 Dec 2007
* 49,443 miles recorded on 11 Dec 2007
* 34,619 miles recorded on 26 Jul 2007
* 29,167 miles recorded on 7 Jun 2007
* 25,338 miles recorded on 5 May 2007
* 21,217 miles recorded on 2 Apr 2007
* 11,871 miles recorded on 15 Jan 2007

Please note that mileages are supplied by third parties and are not validated. Mileages may be rounded to the nearest thousand.

Valuation
Honda Civic (2006-09) 5Dr Hatchback 2.2i CTDi ES
Forecourt Private Sale Trade-in Auction New
£8,189 £6,824 £6,514 £6,142 £16,493
Honda Civic (2006-09) 5Dr Hatchback 2.2i CTDi ES 17" Alloys
Forecourt Private Sale Trade-in Auction New
£8,258 £6,882 £6,569 £6,193 £17,027

A standard mileage for this vehicle's age of 50,000 miles was used for this valuation.

Check another registration number

Information supplied by the DVLA, Police, ABI and VIP.

Honda Civic - I know this car is clocked - brid

cgi.ebay.co.uk/2006-HONDA-CIVIC-ES-I-CTDI-BLACK-1-...2

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20104837452...p

LINKS AGAIN

Honda Civic - I know this car is clocked - Armstrong Sid

Dead simple.

ignore it.

Why are you going to such extreme lengths over one car which is obviously dodgy. There are other Civics out in the world with fewer problems than this one.

If it doesn't seem quite right, it probably isn't.

Honda Civic - I know this car is clocked - injection doc
report to trading standards and report to e-bay.
Honda Civic - I know this car is clocked - Collos25

Welcome to the world of second hand cars and dodgy dealers.I think you will find its not the only one out there.These people want hanging by the bßßlls they are nothing more than thieves.Report them to ebay,trading standards,vospa,Dept of Trans, local police.

Honda Civic - I know this car is clocked - bathtub tom

How long before someone asks the seller the obvious question?

I'm watching it!

Honda Civic - I know this car is clocked - TheOilBurner

Isn't this obvious? eBay has a great big "Report this item" button - do it.

Also report it to Trading Standards. They will be very interested in this.

Of course, you know all that. So, my only thought is why are you asking folk here what to do?

Edited by TheOilBurner on 06/12/2010 at 12:20

Honda Civic - I know this car is clocked - Chris M

Car dealer and mortgage adviser - didn't happen to be an estate agent as well did he?

Honda Civic - I know this car is clocked - madf

I suspect the vendor was a part time banker and MP as well...

Looking at the sellers feedback, they sold a Mazda for £4350!

Both the buyers and sellers feedback have been removed for that deal.

Curious.

Edited by bathtub tom on 06/12/2010 at 14:21

Honda Civic - I know this car is clocked - Roly93

Car dealer and mortgage adviser - didn't happen to be an estate agent as well did he?

Maybe he is also a recruitment consultant too !!

Honda Civic - I know this car is clocked - oldroverboy

tried to call that number to ask, it's a pay as you go mobile so a bad sign, no reply went to voicemail. advised seller that queries about his car on honest john website!

If you are worried, contact trading standards, you are the one who wanted the car so it is up to you. If you walk away and say nothing then someone else might not notice and be conned. if you are registered with e-bay make a complaint, don't ask silly questions. If you are intelligent enough to check the hpi car data then follow up and COMPLAIN!

That way dodgy dealers can be stopped!

At least the guy plastered his post code on fleabay ! and the photo from his driveway, if its his driveway ! He needs putting away!

His post code ( one to remember )

LU3 1RB

Edited by injection doc on 07/12/2010 at 09:03

Honda Civic - I know this car is clocked - R40

That postcode and the picture of the car in a driveway do not match at all! R40

Edited by R40 on 07/12/2010 at 10:24

Honda Civic - I know this car is clocked - justadriver

So, everybody... I sent a text message to the phone number on the add refering him to the honest john's website where there were comments about the mileage of the car, let's see if he posts a reply! can lots of you text and ask him if the mileage is correct? if it is he's got nothing to hide otherwise job for trading standards aka consumer direct.. phone number for original complainer is 0845 04 05 06

Edited by justadriver on 07/12/2010 at 11:29

texted the phone number that there were comments on the Honest John website,let us see if he answers. If not the phone number for trading standards is 0845040506.

On behalf of all the do nothings I have phoned auto trader and advised them of the comments on the website and the alleged HPI check. They have said they will read the comments and if necessary take action. Lets all wait and see what will happen!

Happy winter motoring everyone.

also just goes to show what a couple of quid for an HPI check can do for you!

auto trader have removed the advert now. I phoned and informed them of the discussion on these pages and that they could do their own HPI check if they wanted. i also said that members were questioning the mileage.

Draw your own conclusions, now if someone with an e-bay account can contact e-bay?????????

Before you feel so smug justadriver, why doesn't the original poster (who has now disappeared) contact e-bay?

After all, they are the only ones who can claim to have actually seen the hpi report...

Hi Oilburner, No I don't feel smug, I worked in the motor trade for about 15 years in parts and in that time whilst working I can say that none of my bosses (I worked in family owned main dealer franchises) would allow this to happen. i have also seen the disappointment when sombody has found out that their car isn't worth anything because of defects after buying from a slick talking second hand dealer. It is in my interest and YOUR interest that people report dodgy dealings. I say well done to Auto Trader who obviously have done some checking! Iam sure you wouldn't be happy if it happened to you! Anyway, i have separately asked HJ himself to comment. As it also happens I am looking for a car for my wife, so will make me take extra care! Also here in south Wales I saw one of my old cars being advertised by a "used car dealer" with the advert bearing no relationship to reality, He had bought the car from where i traded it in...

AND also, Brid, if you are out there thanks for pointing it out!

Honda Civic - I know this car is clocked - AnotherWaiting

I notice that since yesterday, the seller has edited the picture to remove the vehicle reg and removed the vehicle reg from the details section. leaving just the '56' year identifier.

I reckon you're missing my point justadriver. I hate clocking and dodgy dealers as much as you, and whilst this all looks very suspicious, without having seen the HPI report first hand, there's no way I'm going to report the guy. It's all just hearsay based on a poster who has now vanished.

No offence meant BTW!

No offence taken Oilburner, but is a good or bad sign that AutoTrader have removed the advert after checking with their legal dept. All I did was point out to them that one of their ads was being discussed on these forums and invited them to look for themselves. HJ (who i reckon is a force for good) has also said he will look at the postings and maybe he will comment. In between times Happy days, just a new junior oilburner!

Honda Civic - I know this car is clocked - boggles

I am curious how the HPI check company obtain all the mileage reports. It used to be voluntary to show miles on the road tax form, though the PO didn't seem to take any notice. Mileage is logged on MOT checks, and services, do they have access to this?

Honda Civic - I know this car is clocked - Armstrong Sid

Is it significant that the OP has not been back with any further messages since starting this topic?

Honda Civic - I know this car is clocked - pd
HPI do not have access to MOT mileages (at least they do not give them). Others might, I do not know. HPI is only one company among many.

They do sometimes have owner change mileages from the DVLA. They also have data input from some dealerships, lease companies and some manufacturers who keep central computerised service records.

As a rough guess, if this correct, the mileages are probably when the car has been serviced at a Honda dealer.

I'm surprised Autotrader removed the advert, they don't bother about the endless "1" mile adverts or £10k cars with £250 prices (read down and it'll be per month) people use to get their adverts to appear at the top.

Could the mileage readings come from use of a fuel card?

Brid if your out their you could be needed ?

Further action was taken and this was one of many cars possibly clocked by a ring !

Lots of progress has been made. Perhaps a moderator could trace BRID and contact me so I can pass on an important connection.

Justice is sweet

oh Justadriver were not all do nothings !

Edited by injection doc on 14/12/2012 at 19:51

Honda Civic - I know this car is clocked - Avant

I will E-mail him and ask if he is still interested in knowing more and if I can give you his E-mail address.

It would appear the car dealer has pleaded guilty to car clocking and is due to appear in court in Febuary for sentencing !

So it was definitely worth contacting trading standards.
Honda Civic - I know this car is clocked - mss1tw

Is there a link?

Honda Civic - I know this car is clocked - bananastand

Psychology at work. When I read "Mortgage Advisor" I instantly thought, middle class, respectable. Just shows, you need to be awake!!

Honda Civic - I know this car is clocked - bananastand

Hey Brid, did you know you left your own postcode in the Autotrader link? Tee hee.