Volkswagen Passat - Tyres that don't seal to rims... - gfewster

Hi all,

Have a 99 VW Passat TDi that I've run for ages, huge mileage and best car I ever bought.

However in it's old age a couple of the alloys don't seem to be able to seal with their tyres. It's quite annoying, and means they need a pump-up every week or so.

Can anyone suggest the most cost-effective fix? Don't fancy a new set of alloys from VW, that might cost a bit ;-) Perhaps reverting to steel rims? Even thought of one of those cheap alloys+tyres deals at Halfords next time it needs tyres...

Ideas?

Volkswagen Passat - Tyres that don't seal to rims... - piston power

Yes remove the tyres and put a wire brush in your drill and clean up the surface "rust" of the bead area rub it back to the shinny alloy and then coat it in aerosol paint and soap the tyre and re fit when all dry.

This is what a alloy refurbishment company would do & you can do it for a lot less if your prepared to get dirty.

Give the tyre bead a clean not with the wire wheel but a cloth.

Volkswagen Passat - Tyres that don't seal to rims... - gfewster

I'm a keen amateur mechanic, but taking tyres off rims is beyond my expertise and my toolkit!

What might a refurb company charge to do that sort of job?

Volkswagen Passat - Tyres that don't seal to rims... - piston power

Put your spare on and do one wheel at a time your local fast fit will take it off or may even do it for you.

As for prices no idea i do all my own work.

Volkswagen Passat - Tyres that don't seal to rims... - Fernando P

I found that my local fast fit was up to speed with what was regarded as a common problem. After removing the tyre the rim was wirebrushed to clean the slight pitting in the alloy, rubber sealant applied with a brush and the tyre put back on and rebalanced for £10, which I thought was a fair deal. I have had no problems since. But the method of wirebrushing and aerosol painting of the rim etc sounds a better long term solution if you are able to do this.

Volkswagen Passat - Tyres that don't seal to rims... - dieselnut

Can anyone suggest the most cost-effective fix?

If the tyres have plenty of life left & don't need to come off you could inject some puncture mouse.

Follow the instructions on the can & this will seal any leak.

Then get them cleaned up properly when the tyres need replacing.

The puncture preventative fluid will do the same job.