51 Plated Beetle 2.0 Petrol (83000 miles). - Vw Beetle Cold Running. - mazda60

Hi,

My daugters Beetle has been giving problems during the last week or so (since the drop in ambient temps) when running from cold first thing in morning.

It starts as normal but soon starts to "splutter" with lack of power and drives as if in "limp mode" ,there is also a warning light on the illuminated .However once the coolant warning light goes out after a mile os so the engine springs back into life ,the dash warning light goes out and all is back to normal. When leaving work at 4.30 pm it's also fine (warmer ambient temp ?).

Temps this week, when she has started the vehicle, have been between 3 and 5 deg c.

It suggets to me that the coolant temp sensor is faulty and have just booked it in for a diagnotic check but thought that someone may have had the same problem and I could save her some money.

Any comments or advice welcomed.

Cheers.

Hi,

Just to close the loop and to help others with a similar problem I would like to report the following.

Diagnostic check logged a "multilple misfire"

Coolant blue warning light extinguishes at 55 deg c which is as it should be.

Coolant temp only running at 67 degc when engine hot which is some 20 deg c below what it should be.

Coolant sensor / themostat changed and diagnostic log cleared.

Engine started from cold and ran as it should and has done ever since.

Heater also now hotter than it has been for a while.

Hope someone finds this useful (sometime !)

Happy motoring.

51 Plated Beetle 2.0 Petrol (83000 miles). - Vw Beetle Cold Running. - Big John
This Engine usually has a good old fashioned wasted spark coil pack + ignition leads. IF cold and damp either could be causing issues (OK after dried out and warm). Could be a simple case of new leads (cheap) or if that doesn't work a new coil pack (more expensive but not too bad). If it was temp sensor you would have issues staring at night as well. Coil pack failures don't always show up on diagnostic checks.

When its in "misfire mode" does it seem as though its dropping to two cylinders (run engine at tickover and then floor it for a split second - does it sound like a 2cv? if it does probably coil pack)

Hi Big John, Thanks for the reply. It's ironic but last friday ,after running perfectly well for a week or so, the same symptoms are back again. It's due to go back to the garage tomorrow, so I will speak to my independant mechanic and suggest he looks firstly at what you suggest .He has said he will keep the car and see if he can replicate the rough cold idling which he ahs expalined would give him a better chance of identifying the fault . I will let you know the outcome later in the week.

PS .As far as I know the car does not seem to be running on all four pots when cold. Regards Mazda60.

51 Plated Beetle 2.0 Petrol (83000 miles). - Vw Beetle Cold Running. - elekie&a/c doctor

If it is not running on all 4 ,I would suggest that the spark plugs be checked.These 2.0 engines suffer with oil fouling of the plugs .Other possible faults for multiple misfire codes are ht leads,air leaks in intake sytem ,air mass sensor and many others.A diagnostic check may not identify the fault exactly.hth

Hi,

Plug leads and coil pack changed last Thursday and has been fine ever since

(Touch wood !!!!).

Regards.