House insurance - Diamond

My buildings and contents insurance is coming up for renewal and I have got a few quotes. The company I am with at present is in fact the dearest at £314 but I can get about £30 off this I know for a fact, so making it about £285. However all the quotes I have obtained all vary greatly - some are around £250, some £230 and some £210, a couple are really low at around £155, the lowest £142. Now bear in mind these are all very similar policies in what they cover and are all big name companies. I'm tempted to go with the cheapest but as we all know cheapest isn't always the best way to go.

Am I right in assuming that these very low quotes are hiding something nasty if I came to claim on the insurance??

House insurance - Falkirk Bairn

My way of looking at it is

If the quote is very low from a company I have not heard off - leave it

If the quote is very low from a company I have heard off - take it after reading offer very closely - it may have a horrific excess - like £500 of any claim.

I was insured for house + contents with esure - got quote from Sheilas Wheels (same company owns both) at £100+ less for same cover. No brainer.

Renewal for the car was within £10 so I just left it. with esure.

Well this is how I view it too, the excesses all vary between £100 - £200 and if there were just a few quid between quotes I would stick with my current insurer, but we are looking at half price with some of them, ie £285 compared to £142!!

House insurance - Falkirk Bairn

Have you heard of the £142 company?

House insurance - Dutchie

Hello

£142 sounds to good to be true how much excess is charged for both policies house and building insurance.Most premiums have gone up round here due to the flooding a few years ago.Some people where lucky to recieve any form of contens insurance.

The £142 was Liverpool Victoria and both excesses were £100, next was Direct Line at about £155 (I have my cars insured with them) with similar xs then all the rest were in the £220 to £260 odd range with similar xs. How can these two companies charge such a low premium that's what I want to know.

If you go on review sites ALL the big companies get poor reviews probably from the odd disgruntled customer who has claimed for something that is rediculous and they didn't pay out.

House insurance - Dutchie

Looks good Diamond £100 excess have to have a look at these when renewal is due.

All i can think of the low premium they have a lot of customers.

Thanks for the information.