??? - Advice Needed - Car Purchasing - yournewfavourite

Hi,

I have a monthly company car allowance of £320 pre tax.

Having never purchased a car before or being clued up on taxation, I need advice on the types of used car I could buy for that kind of budget, and figure in all costs such as tax, insurance (24yr old male, 7 years clean license, letter of no claims from company director) and upkeep etc.

Not doing loads of work miles, just weekend driving so the more fun/fast the better.

any suggestions would be gratefully received!!

cheers

??? - Advice Needed - Car Purchasing - ablandy

Not a lot once its taxed - you will get approx 200 per month. Difficult to run any car for that. To be honest the situation is complicated by the mileage you do and the money you would get for that. Also, does your employer have a restriction on age and type of car?

It might be worth looking at cheap lease cars. The site i use (nationwidevehiclecontracts) has a c1 for 500 down then just over 100 per month. This gives you peace of mind for costs. Cheaper used cars need repairing which can blow your budget overnight.

If you need something bigger, we have ordered a c3 1.6 hdi airdream + which would be about 200 per month.

Edit - just saw you bit at end about fun and fast - neither of those fit the bill! Mx5 ? about 200 per month for the most basic.

Edited by ablandy on 15/08/2010 at 19:02