Side swiped by a continental lorry. Options? - dereckr

My long accident free period ran out a few weeks back. I was side swiped by a Hungarian registered artic. Prevailing heavy traffic conditions had trapped me in his blind spot as he pulled out to overtake a slow moving vehicle. We stopped and exchanged details as best we could (he spoke no English). I rang my insurers when I got home to report the incident. They stated that whilst most continental lorries operating in this country deal with insurance claims through some sort of claims handling register, the haulage company concerned is not recorded and in that case they (my insurers) will have to contact them in Hungary in order to pursue a claim.

I was told that if the haulage company deny liability or don’t respond, my claim if I went ahead would be treated as my fault and affect future premiums. I have had a local body shop assess the damage which amounts to around £1500. Luckily, the damage is all cosmetic and the vehicle is perfectly driveable, however it’s a 2002 vehicle with 180k on the clock, albeit in good working order and prior to this damage, in good condition.

I have several options:

Let my insurers deal with it in their own time and hope the other side accept liability.

Let my insurers repair my vehicle and take the hit long term in increased premiums.

Terminate the claim and pay for the repairs myself.

Terminate the claim and live with the damage until I either sc*** or sell on the car, which I wasn’t planning to do anytime soon.

If any of you out there have had a similar experience, what happened in your case?

Your opinions and advice are welcome.

Edited by dereckr on 01/08/2010 at 20:32

Side swiped by a continental lorry. Options? - LucyBC

It will be dealt with by the UK agent of the Hungarian insurer or by the Motor Insurers Bureau.

Your experience of poor customer service is yet another example why you should not get your motor insurer to deal with any accident claim. See an earlier post:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=85850#...9

I can deal with this for you and resolve it for you to your best advantage sorting the damage, the foreign claim and any uninsured loss recovery. There is no charge for this service.

Please contact me with a telephone number and email address and I will advise further as to how to proceed:

lucy.bonhamcarter@autolaw.co.uk

Side swiped by a continental lorry. Options? - dereckr

Thank you for the swift reply Lucy,

I will send you the details.