Jaguar S-Type - Jaguar S Type R Engine failure at 29,000 miles - SofaMan
In March 2009, I purchased a Jaguar Approved Used Car from Guy Salmon, Jaguar main dealer in Northampton.
The car, a 4.2 S Type R, first registered in March 2004, had done 17,000 miles at purchase and has now covered just 29,000 miles. The car has been fully serviced by Jaguar main dealers throughout its life and was last serviced 2000 miles ago.
The car is currently sitting in Lancaster, Sidcup, Jaguar main dealers, having suddenly started making an extremely loud knocking noise from the engine. The dealer diagnosed a crankshaft bearing failure and thus the need for a new engine as repair would be uneconomical.
With a car having covered just 29,000 miles and just 3 months out of warranty, I do not exepct to have to pay for a new engine. Jaguar customer services and Guy Salmon from whom the car was purchased refuse to accept any responsibility though Jaguar have offered a goodwill gesture due to the low milage of 50% of the cost of the engine, leaving me to pay all labour and ancillaries and the remaining 50% - a bill of £4995.
Having purchased an approved used car with full Jaguar service history, I find it totally unacceptable to have to replace the engine at my expense at such a low mileage and so soon after end of warranty.
My expectation is that Jaguar accept moral responsibility and replace the engine fully at their cost.
Any advice would be appreciated as to how to proceed further.

Edited by SofaMan on 30/07/2010 at 22:29

Jaguar S-Type - Jaguar S Type R Engine failure at 29,000 miles - bonzo dog

Sorry to say but I think your expectations are too high. This is a 6 year old car (let's forget it is an S Type for a minute) and so is 3 years out of manufacturer warranty. The warranty you were given when you purchased is very specific in its terms, one of which is that it lasts for 12 months, then ceases.

Now going back to it being an S Type Jag, well one of the drawbacks of owning a "prestigeous" car is the cost of maintaining it, including repairs.

If I were you I'd take up Jaguar's offer & ask the supplier to match that with 50% of the labour, but then of course I'm not stumping up the rest am I!

Good luck

Jaguar S-Type - Jaguar S Type R Engine failure at 29,000 miles - LucyBC

Agree with Bonzo Dog. You need to negotiate but you won't get a fully paid up repair on a vehicle of this age form either the dealer or Jaguar.