New Car Warrantee - or should I buy second hand? - peterx666

I cannot make a decision on this as I do not have enough background in the car game

I am thinking of getting a new car - which will have a 3 year warranty for a hassle free life - but I don't know if a manufacturers warranty covers everything that could or would go wrong - the warranty certainly won't cover servicing - or will it?

The other option is to buy a car say 2 or 3 years old (cheaper) and take out one of these warranty schemes that will cover everything including servicing, etc - or will it

If there is anyone with any experience of this or help and advice I would be grateful

Look forward to hearing what you think...........

New Car Warrantee - or should I buy second hand? - bonzo dog

Any factory / manufacturer / new car warranty will give more comprehensive cover than an aftermarket waranty. Whether the price differential betrween a new car & a used one is worth this .... only you can judge.

What car are you thinking of?

New Car Warrantee - or should I buy second hand? - peterx666

Was thinking of a vauxhall or ford

New Car Warrantee - or should I buy second hand? - Auristocrat

Most new car warranties from European manufacturers are 3 years - comprising a manufacturers warranty and a dealer network warranty (i.e. manufacturers for two years and dealer network for one year). I understand that the Ford warranties have limitations after the first year (i.e external trim I think is only covered for the first 12 months).

The Kia 7 year warranty has limitations after the first three years.

Most of the Japanese brands offer a full manufacturers warranty for 3 years (Honda, Mazda, Suzuki) or 5 years (Toyota). Hyundai offers a five year manufacturers warranty. In my experience the manufacturers warranties seem to offer the best level of cover.

Most new car warranties have some form of mileage limit - i.e 60,000 miles or 100,000 miles.

New Car Warrantee - or should I buy second hand? - Andy P

Not necessrily.

My 335d just reached the end of the 12 month Used Approved warranty, and when compared together, Warranty Direct's top cover was better than BMW's own for the same price, and it covers both the turbochargers.

Edited by Andy P on 23/06/2010 at 08:51

New Car Warrantee - or should I buy second hand? - bonzo dog

Hi Andy, I'l take your word for it, but neither will be as comprehensive as a BMW new car warranty, which I think the OP was asking about.

Even where the 2nd / 3rd year manufacturer's warranty is of a lesser cover than the 1st year, I doubt if any 3rd party (& I include "Approved Warranty") will be as comprehensive; although I'll be happy to be proved wrong.

New Car Warrantee - or should I buy second hand? - traveller29

Andy, I've been driving for 36 years, have always purchased used cars a year or two old without any major hassles. On just one occasion did I buy a new car, and it gave me endless problems! No matter what the warranty is, nothing can compensate for the sheer inconvenience of having to cart your vehicle back to the garage (or wait to have it towed there).

I note you intend to purchase a "Ford or Vauxhall"....my son in law has had endless problems with a new Astra deisel (not the newly introduced model)) A valve (I think it's called the EPU valve) is constantly failing, causing the car to come to a halt unexpectedly. Despite numerous garage visits under warrantly, the problem persists......be warned!

The moral is, providing you buy from the reputable dealer, a car that is no more than 2 years old shouldn't cause you any regrets, and you'll save a packet over the new price.

New Car Warrantee - or should I buy second hand? - traveller29

I've been driving for 36 years, have always purchased used cars a year or two old without any major hassles. On just one occasion did I buy a new car, and it gave me endless problems! No matter what the warranty is, nothing can compensate for the sheer inconvenience of having to cart your vehicle back to the garage (or wait to have it towed there).

I note you intend to purchase a "Ford or Vauxhall"....my son in law has had endless problems with a new Astra deisel (not the newly introduced model)) A valve (I think it's called the EPU valve) is constantly failing, causing the car to come to a halt unexpectedly. Despite numerous garage visits under warrantly, the problem persists......be warned!

The moral is, providing you buy from the reputable dealer, a car that is no more than 2 years old shouldn't cause you any regrets, and you'll save a packet over the new price.