Why should people be allowed to transfer NCB? - Maxxine

I'm amazed that insurance companies allow no claims bonus to be swapped from one person to another. According to a friend it's easy for her to 'transfer' ncb from herself to her husband and vice-versa. By doing so it helps to build up extra bonus and can also be swapped to get a cheaper deal.

This all seems really wrong to me, as I think that no claims bonus should be earned 'fairly' by driving for 'x number of years' without a claim. I'm sure I'm subsidising this by paying a higher premium myself.

Surely there's a case for all insurance companies to be really strict about no claims bonus, and only award it when it's been earned - and not allow it to be transferred.

Why should people be allowed to transfer NCB? - Cliff Pope

It's got nothing to do with "earning" anything. Motor insurance is a competitive business, and this is a way of giving a discount to attract the kind of customer that presumably the insurance company wants.

Quite probably statistics show that the spouse of a safe driver has a higher chance of also being safe. If living in the same street as a good risk driver has a statistical benefit, I would guess actually living with one does so too.

Why should people be allowed to transfer NCB? - dieseldogg

Is this not restricted to shared driving: ie a %age of the NCB earned by the main driver can be transferred to another named driver on their policy, when they choose to put a car of their own on the road.

They have therefore gained experience without crashing.

Seem a perfectably sensible acceptable practise to me.

Why should people be allowed to transfer NCB? - AlanGowdy

But if you buy a second car and, with the same insurer that you use for your first car, try to get your NCD applied to it you'll probably be out of luck. My experience is that you have to build up a NCD from zero for each car you own.

As you have surely proved to the insurer that you are a safe driver and are bringing them extra business it seems unfair to me that the NCD should be car-related rather than driver-related.

Why should people be allowed to transfer NCB? - SlidingPillar
Not always the case. I took out a policy for the new to me vintage car with a company I had been insured with for many years. Got full no claims as an introductory discount.
Why should people be allowed to transfer NCB? - dieseldogg
But it was "vintage" therefore heavy discounts apply anyway therefore "no odds" to insurer
I think?
Why should people be allowed to transfer NCB? - SlidingPillar
True the policy is low cost, but unlike some classic policies, it is a normal one with NCB. I could in theory use the NCB for a Superfast Thing of 2010.