Cheers VW! - midlifecrisis
Having bought a VW Passat six months ago, principally because of the promised future residuals, it was so nice of VW to destroy them with their price cuts. Maybe I should have saved three grand and bought the Mondeo instead. (OK, I know it's good for those looking to buy now, but to say I'm cheesed off would be an understatement.)
I know you lose money on cars, but I would ask what is the safest bet when spending around 13.5K on a low milage nearly new motor.
MLC
Cheers VW! - The Watcher
Nothing is the answer. You could have asked if there was any likely movement in prices when negotiating but even then, there's no gaurantee you'd have known.

Sadly it happens all the time, even with houses. The builders always let the last few go for well under what everyone else had to pay for their property (unless you have the currentinflationary boom like now of course!).
Cheers VW! - daryld
Back in 1999 I was quoted £17,500 for a VW main dealer for a VW Golf 1.6 SE automatic which I was looking to buy for my wife.

They begrudgingly offered me a discount of £200.

I contacted a belgian VW main dealer and they were prepeared to offer the same vehicle for £14,400 (inc. UK VAT, transit plates, bottle of wine and flowers, and a signed fax of the UK spec form a UK VW catalogue). Of courre I bought the car from beligium; the UK dealer was not impressed and said that the import was "inferior to UK spec". The belgian dealer was shifting 8 cars a week, every week, to the UK.

Then in 2000 VW announced that "imports made very little impact to their UK business model" (I forget where I read this). They refused to reduced UK prices since this would "impact their customers who bought locally..we value their custom" etc.

VW then increased the UK vehicle spec but maintained prices. However, the imports continued to increase.

Eventually VW reduced the prices of their cars to be more competitive; some angry customers wrote to VW and got refunds (but I think this applied to those who were awaiting delivery).

Moral of this story: 1. Once anyone has got the money they do not really give a fig. 2. Next time ask the car manufacturer if a price cut is imminent. 3. Buy abroad.

Cheers VW! - T Lucas
Ah yes but those Belgian VWs are made from chocolate,no good in the UK,people might break pieces off and eat them.Dont coming running back to my lovely VW dealership asking me to put it right for you.Serves you right!
Cheers VW! - daryld
Fair point. But the following tale is true: my neighbour imported a new BMW 330i; car is now out of warranty and developed a nasty intermittent starting problem. After £900 (yes, £900) pound of repairs the UK BMW franchise dealer eventually fixed it.

But the best bit is that BMW UK reimbursed the customer in full as a good will gesture, even though it was an import.

Cheers VW! - T Lucas
Deservedly full marks to BMW UK.