Peugot 107 - Power Steering unit Failure - stuart king

Above car purchased 10/2006. Regularly serviced by Peugot dealer. 21k mileage.

Recently power steering unit failed at a cost £650. Replaced by Peugot dealer who advised me to contact Peugot Customer Care Unit .This I did with the expectation that in view of the low mileage Peugot would consider a contribution to the cost.

Wrong. Peugot refused to consider any contribution as out of warranty but went on to say that if I was to consider partx they would make some (unspecified ) allowance. If I had done so before having the repair presumably Peugot would have had to repair it.

Considering I am a pensioner on a fixed income ( and incidentally fixed capital resources) I thought by purchasing such a model, which Peugot make a big deal of advertising as an economy model, I would contain my motoring costs. Wrong; if you divide the cost of the repair over the period of ownership then by picking this car it has cost me approx. £200 per year over and above what I would have expected to pay.

Would you consider the life of the part too short? Should I approach Peugot again as i feel quite aggrieved? Can you suggest any other course of action or do I just roll over and say thats life!

Sorry to take up your tome and thanks for any reply.

S King

Peugot 107 - Power Steering unit Failure - Peter.N.

Sorry to hear your tale of woe but its becoming all to familier now. Most modern cars are less reliable and more expensive to repair than the older ones. The only real way to keep costs down is to do your own repairs as I have done all my life and I am now 71. For the same reason I will not run a car made later the the mid '90s largely because you can't repair them yourself. £650.00 is more than I usually pay for a car and they are much more durable than modern cars, I have three Citroen XMs, one has covered in excess of 250,000 miles and is still going well, I can't see many new cars doing that.

Most manufacturers just don't seem to care, I think the problem is that if they accept responsibility for one claim it will open the floodgates. I think as cars become more and more electronically controlled the are going to be even less reliable - as demonstrated by Toyota recently.

Peter