Hyundai ix35 - Ecomony Figures - Craigdm

I bought a new IX35 Premium Diesel about 3 weeks ago. The quoted mpg figures from the brochure are as follows : Urban 40.4, Extra Urban 54.3 & Combined 47.9
The car had 10 miles on the clock when I bought it, and so I fully expected the engine would need to be run-in. The first 100 miles or so gave 36mpg. After about a week I went for a run and the car was indicating 42mpg, however since then the next 2 tanks full of fuel have both only averaged 34mpg.
Hyundai UK said the engine needed 500 miles to bed in, while the suppling dealer said 2K. The Aftersales Manager also said he was getting the low 30's in his company IX35. Surely the real world mpg should be around the figure quoted for the Combined cycle ?
I have also noted and pointed out that the engine does not seem to be reaching the right temperature. The temp dial is a graphic where the 12 o'clock position indicates 90C, however the dial never gets to that position and stops one quadrant short (about 80C if the scale is linear).
Once again the suppling dealer told me that they all do that !
Would you say this is normal for a new model, and would the fact that the published mpg figures are nowhere near achievable be grounds for rejecting the car ?

Hyundai ix35 - Ecomony Figures - colinh
A well-known magazine's road test returned an average of 36.2 with a best of 43.8 - I'd reckon on improving those with sensible use by a minimum of 25%.

P.S. I have a 2.0l petrol auto c'eed (non-UK) and have averaged 37.8 over 21 months
Hyundai ix35 - Ecomony Figures - bimmer-driver

If its only 3 weeks old how many miles has it done? Modern diesels need anything upto 8000 miles to be properly run in. You wont achieve representative mpg figures until then.

Hyundai ix35 - Ecomony Figures - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

I've found the first tank full to give the best [or very close to it] mpg.

Probably due to me driving very cautiously.

Never found that 'running in' has improved mileage, diesel or petrol.

My diesel Octavia is well short of the combined figure at 48mpg overall (mainly a 24 mile each way commute). But shorter journeys, say 4 miles each way in town have given only 32mpg.

So a large span is possible.

Hyundai ix35 - Ecomony Figures - colinh
Attached is graph of mpg for Golf 2.0 TDI DSG over 3 years - took up to 3,000 miles before reaching long-term average.

farm5.static.flickr.com/4009/4663418748_611e8afa20...g
Hyundai ix35 - Ecomony Figures - dieseldogg

How do I attatch a photo of my mpg readout

52.5 mpg in a Galaxy in the summertime....over 100 hours driving, if I recall correctly

After further investigation, it seems that this problem is all due to the DPF that all new diesels are fitted with. Apparentely you need to give the engine a good blast every now and again to clear the soot deposits on the filter. The ECU will also clean out the unit automatically, you just don't know when it will do it !

Last week, stuck in traffic, the mpg suddenly dropped to 16mpg then on the way home the average went up to 43 (my best figure yet !). Now dropped down to 38 (ish), but I've found that a good thrashing once a week seems to keep the mpg figure up.

Strange way to run-in a new car though. I hear Nissan had all sorts of problems with their early Quashqui 2.0 Diesel.

Hyundai ix35 - Ecomony Figures - KSAJAY

Hello, I am having the same problem, first couple of weeks got more than 40 mpg and now it's dropped way low and I get about 24 mpg even on the motorway.I have done about 1000 miles on the clock.

Has your mpg issue now been resolved

Thanks

Ajay

I'm now 5000 miles and 5 months into IX35 ownership. All going well, but still not impressed by the economy.

Tank average is now around 37mpg. My daily run to work is 80% motorway, and I 'keep up with traffic'.

I have noticed that when I spend time off the motorways the average has been known to creep up closer to 40mpg. I have never even come close to matching any of the published figures. Wife has a 1.6 petrol Quashqai that averages 37mpg, so I was expecting more from the diesel IX35.

Previous car was a 2.2 Diesel Mondeo ST, and that was giving me 45+ and was driven much harder than the IX35.

Hyundai ix35 - Ecomony Figures - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

I've now done about 23,000 miles in my Octavia diesel and the mpg has improved very little. 50mpg the past few tankfuls and still some way short of the claimed combined figure of ~55mpg IIRC.

My previous car, a Hyundai Coupe SIII 2l petrol, got the claimed combined figure of 37mpg on the same trips.

Hyundai ix35 - Ecomony Figures - madf

Sorry but you are confusing test consumption with reality.

Test = rolling road simulation and nothing to do with real life...

Hyundai ix35 - Ecomony Figures - ablandy

The ix35 is a 4x4 style vehicle, which is not particularly aerodynamic. Higher speeds only exaggerate the problem.

I strongly disagree, and as a design engineer with 20 years experience in vehicle emissions, I think I may have a stong case.

Of course the test figures are unachieveable in the real world. I would however expect to be able to get within 10% of the combined figure.

This figure for the IX35 is 51.4mpg. Even if I drive the IX35 like a nun with piles, I can't get the average above 40mpg. Personally I blame the new euro V regs. Meeting that and fitting a DPF has hit the economy hard. Okay so the emissions are less per volume of fuel used, but you end up using 20% more fuel to do the same miles. Go figure that one out.

Hyundai ix35 - Ecomony Figures - iolanthe

I strongly disagree, and as a design engineer with 20 years experience in vehicle emissions, I think I may have a stong case.

Of course the test figures are unachieveable in the real world. I would however expect to be able to get within 10% of the combined figure.

This figure for the IX35 is 51.4mpg. Even if I drive the IX35 like a nun with piles, I can't get the average above 40mpg. Personally I blame the new euro V regs. Meeting that and fitting a DPF has hit the economy hard. Okay so the emissions are less per volume of fuel used, but you end up using 20% more fuel to do the same miles. Go figure that one out.

My ix35 diesel 4wd has now done 4500 miles and average consumption is around 35mpg - well below manufacturer's figure. Even on a 350 mile journey, mainly motorway at constant speed, consumption did not get above an average of 35.5mpg. Very disappointing. It has, however, been brilliant in the recent deep snow, but the mpg is an issue.
Hyundai ix35 - Ecomony Figures - stone666monkey

How are your fuel economies now?Had a 2.0 cdti 2wd and only getting 34mpg which prompted me to seek out forums on the subject, and there seems to be a lot of chatter about the old Tucson's trip computer being set up on US gallons for the UK. Might this be the case with the IX35? Anybody know how to check?

Hyundai ix35 - Ecomony Figures - Avant

By measuring the distance covered between brim-to-brim tankfuls. Trip computers vary in accuracy even without being set up for US gallons.

Incidentally, the nun with piles referred to above (Sister Emma Royds?) would surely drive like a bat out of hell just to get home and into a more comfortable seat. :)

Edited by Avant on 22/04/2011 at 17:53

Hyundai ix35 - Ecomony Figures - unthrottled

'My chunky styled vehicle with a heavy 4 wheel drive system isn't getting very good economy'

Perhaps because it's a chunky car with a heavy 4X4 system. Common sense should tell you not to expect miracles reagrdless of what the NEDC test might indicate. That said, the NEDC is a bit of a joke compared with the US FTP75 drive cycle which involves harder acceleration and higher speeds andtends to yield more representative numbers.

Hyundai ix35 - Ecomony Figures - bazza

Here's an excellent database of real life mpg:

www.spiritmonitor.de

If you register you can get the litre/100km in miles per gallon.

Your Hyundai ix35 gives just under 35mpg, from a sample of 29 diesels. About right I'd have thought for a big heavy car.

it's an interesting site, I've comp[ared all my recent vehicles against the data on there and its pretty spot on.

Also interesting that real world economy is a far cry from the official test figures, (which magazines tend to quote as if they're real )

Hyundai ix35 - Ecomony Figures - Gazzadfc

Getting 48mpg out of my 1.7crdi premium, thats working it out manually and not off the trip computer.

Edited by Gazzadfc on 23/04/2011 at 09:29

Hyundai ix35 - Ecomony Figures - brettmick

Last week we took two cars to Sussex from North Cambridgeshire (the Mrs was staying and I was coming back for work but engineering works meant the trains were all shut).

2.2 Diesel RAV4 4x4 2007 MY 22k miles and a 2.0 turbo petrol A3 cabriolet MY 2010 8K miles.

RAV4 got 52 MPG on the normally accurate MPG computer and the A3 got 44 MPG on the usually 2 MPG optimistic computer.

Average speed of 52 MPH over the course of the journey (with the roadworks on the M25 and the A22 being the way it is that made sense).

As such <40 on a run for a diesel 4x4 sounds disappointing to me.

Have got 54 MPG out of the RAV on a run and it rarely falls below 46 when pottering around town. I am sure I read somewhere that Toyota tend to be the most conservative with facts and figures...

Hyundai ix35 - Ecomony Figures - brettmick

Forgot to mention our i10 only returned 44 MPG during its 2 months as my commute car when the claimed combined was in the mid 50's. The 200 BHP A3 cab petrol that replaced it is getting 38 MPG on the same run.... Is this a Hyundai thing?