crazy peugeot finance plan? - fray bentos

Looking at the smallprint for the latest 'deal' from peugeot it says you put a deposit down (ok),pay a monthly fee (still ok), then optionally make a 'final' payment (still normal!) to keep the car. Trouble is you dont actually OWN the car but have to pay a yearly fee just to keep it, not own it so you cant sell it or trade it! On the face of it, this seems crazy, unless I've missed something obvious.

crazy peugeot finance plan? - Avant

If this is a personal contract purchase (PCP) or hire purchase contract, this is perfectly normal and is based on the same legal principle as a home-owner with a mortgage.

Legally you don't own the asset outright but you use it / live in it as if you owned it with the exception that because there's a legal charge on the asset, you can't trade it without the permission of the lender (finance co,) who legally own the asset. With a car, if you dispose of it during the finance agreement, you get in touch with the lender and are given a settlement figure.

crazy peugeot finance plan? - Rattle
My new Panda is a similar thing,

£100 doposit, £128 a month for four years, £1800 if I want to keep the car after four years. But I can pay it off early and in the third year the maths make sense to pay it off early.

It actually works out much cheaper than leasing (for a cheap car) and you get to own it.

There are pitfalls though and GAP insurance is a good idea.

PCPs work out well for those that intend to change every few years.
crazy peugeot finance plan? - davecooper

if you take out any finance deal on a car, you don't own it until the car is payed for. If you don't keep up the payments, they can repossess the car. A PCP can also make sense for some prestige brands as well. Some of these depreciate very slowly and as you are only effectively paying for the depreciation, the payments can be reasonable.

crazy peugeot finance plan? - woodster

If you take out a personal loan then you DO own the car. A personal loan is unsecured - default on the loan and the car is not part of the equation at that point. PCP's are there to keep prices high for the dealer and make the car appear affordable. You're paying for the depreciation and nothing else, plus you're tied to a condition, servicing and mileage contract. Breach the contract and you will be charged. So, many people pay an inflated price, a deposit,interest on the loan, and own nothing at the end. Come on, how is this good financial sense? The mortgage comparison is faintly ridiculous. Almost every car depreciates in value whereas over 25 years most homes appreciate in value. Oh, and you own it at the end...

I would rather pay for depcreciation rather than having a lot more money tied up into something which won't be realised until I sell the car.

You're tied to the servicing contract anyway otherwise you loose your milleage and you can always buy the car afterwards. How is my example that bad?

128 a month for four years

1800 final payment

I will say however that PCPs seem to make more sense on cheaper cars.

Unsecured loan for most people is much harder to get (especialy in these circumstances) so the APR will probably be much higher than of a PCP.

crazy peugeot finance plan? - woodster

I take your point and each to their own. Exactly what model do you have and what's your mileage limit? Whatever the answer, you'll have paid £8044 for it, assuming you pay the £1800. I'd want to compare this to more traditional methods of payment, which of course would have no mileage limit. As a case in point, a young lad at work was about to sign for balloon finance on a focus ST. Some deposit, 3 years payments and a final purchase figure of about £7000. In his case he was going to get a personal loan for that final figure. I managed to find him finace for the whole lot for an extra £100 a month but for 4 years. the overall cost was less, including interest, and he will own it sooner.

Ita a brand new Panda 1.1 Eco Active in metalic blue. In four years time it should be worth around £3k so the actual cost is about £5k in four years. My insurance premiums are high because I am still classed as a risky driver so low monthly payments were important to me. I used to have a ten year old Corsa I paid cash for it went like this:-

March 09 - Paid £1100 for a 9 year old Corsa, it then cost me around £90 a month in repairs on average (mostly tyres, brakes, exhaust etc) but the MAF went which was an expensive job.

In Feb 10 the head gasket went and sold the car for £250 as in need of repair. I lost nearly £2k on that car.

So I am more than haoppy to pay £128 a month for a new car, the overall cost is not too important. I have cheap insurance, no MOTs to worry about and a full warranty.

In four years time I either get to buy a low milleage car in suburb condition I know the history of for £1800 or for about the same month I get to drive another brand new car.

crazy peugeot finance plan? - ijws15

With a mortgage you DO own the asset, but the mortgagee has a charge against it and normally hold the deeds both of which prevent you from selling it. Your name is on the land registry database, not the mortgager.

If you tried the search on the property will reveal the charge (Mortgage) so the vendor would wal.

Now charges against cars are a little more difficult so cars are managed a little differently - try getting PCP, or any credit, with no residential address!

crazy peugeot finance plan? - davecooper

PCP's don't necessarily mean paying top whack. I got a good discount plus some goodies thrown in (including extra mileage) when I took out my PCP.

crazy peugeot finance plan? - fray bentos

Guys, I don't think you've understood my original post. With the Pug deal,you have to pay an annual rental for the car EVEN AFTER you've paid for it!

crazy peugeot finance plan? - malteser

That sounds more like a leasing plan rather than a purchase plan.

Lease rentals are, if you are a business, allowable as a revenue expense to be offset against your profits. You can offset the total of the rentals paid during your current financial year.

Strictly speakingyou can NEVER own a vehicle on a lease. If title passes to you HMRC are entitled to consider it a deferred purchase (HP) and disallow your claimed tax reliefs. Paying a peppercorn rental gets round this point.

A purchase plan, AFAIK, allows the normal writing down allowance for the type of vehicle concerned, to be claimed, even if you "buy" the vehicle on the last day of your financial year.

Lease rentals normally attract VAT.

Straight leasing, because of the VAT element is not usually the best route for a private individual - a PCP, with all its disadvantages is better, but only if you are fixated on low monthly payments.

The interest element is high, as interest is charged on both elements of the loan - your initial advance, ( the loan balamce reducing as you pay your monthly instalment ) and the selected final value. As this final value loan remains static during the period of the agreement charges can be high.

Edited by malteser on 05/06/2010 at 10:29