Nissan Terrano II - Insurance rip off - LillaW

Up until a year ago I had an old Nissan terrano. When I sold the car I obviously cancelled my insurance and received the cancellation note stating as such. Last month I received a renewal notice for the insurance of the vehicle. It transpires that having thought I had cancelled the insurance policy a member of the insurance team had reactivated the policy and withdrawn £400 from my bank account without my knowledge. The insurers state that this was a clerical error. They have reimbursed me and offered the modest amount of £80 as compensation. I am somewhat appalled that the protocols and procedures of the insurance company allow for this to happen; especially that money can be withdrawn from my bank account. I appreciate that had I reviewed my bank account more diligently then I might have been aware of what was happening. What are my options?

Nissan Terrano II - Insurance rip off - LucyBC

It depends on the terms of the original contract but the chances are that if you gave them a card of any kind they have a "continuous mandate" which is almost impossible to kill off without theeir consent without replacing the card and if you gave them your bank details via a direct debit then their only obligation is to refund any charges they should not have made.

As they seem to have worked within the rules and it seems you have been refunded in full and received some measure of compensation for the inconvenience it is very unlikely you can take this any further.